World of Warcraft: Current Year

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think the core lesson here is don’t fucking hire women lol!
They made the same mistake a bunch of other companies like Riot did. Hire a bunch of cute 20-somethings to spruce up the office scenery, for the express purpose of flirting with/sexually harassing them at work, and then when those girls mentally mature a couple years, realize what's actually going on and that they're never actually going to rise up the ranks of the company, realize they've been exploited the whole time and start dumping their evidence infront of lawyers.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
They made the same mistake a bunch of other companies like Riot did. Hire a bunch of cute 20-somethings to spruce up the office scenery, for the express purpose of flirting with/sexually harassing them at work, and then when those girls mentally mature a couple years, realize what's actually going on and that they're never actually going to rise up the ranks of the company, realize they've been exploited the whole time and start dumping their evidence infront of lawyers.
Yeah i'm pretty sure that's it right there, and wouldn't be surprising for a gaming studio at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've always held strong on the rule of not fucking coworkers ever. It only leads to shit like this.

Why these idiots just pick up fangirls at cons and bars I will never know.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
That could be part of it - or they felt they HAD to hire some women. Those women turned out to not be "higher up" material and mediocre at their jobs, then proceeded to just shit up the office and be average. And the guys (nerds) decided their only contributions were their sex.

Or not, and 99% of the people treated them fine it was just and it was one or two bad apples. You don't know and neither do I. People don't rise up the ranks for a thousand different reasons. Being hit on is 100% not the same as being exploited, that's garbage.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
So what you're saying is being sexually harassed WAS their job, and they couldn't even do that right.

• 11Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This lawsuit is nothing more than legalized graft. The harassment part was only thrown in for optics, if it was as bad presented in the lawsuit or as some here believe, the harassment part would be its own thing, yet it's not.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I was watching a video Asmongold talking about this situation and he said the decline of WoW was due to the sexual harrassments going on at Blizzard office. I’m not entirely sure if that’s the sole reason why WoW is currently in the shitty condition it is. I don’t know if he was talking just to hear himself or he actually believes that nonsense. WoW has on the decline since after Wrath if you ask me. MoP was okay, Cataclysm was bad, Warlords was bad, Legion was okay, BFA and Shadowlands sucked ass. You have creative directors making Ion horrible decisions, lazy story writers, people in charge who has no idea about PvP, bad itemization and the list goes on and on. Those and plus more is what caused the downfall of WoW not Furor Babedefiler and his party doing a raid on some young female intern.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Well it would make sense if the dudes were all going around womanizing and playing CoD and left the women to make the game.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Well it would make sense if the dudes were all going around womanizing and playing CoD and left the women to make the game.
Yeah but I don’t think it was that many. Maybe a small handful not enough to cripple an IP. Plus how many women to men ratio you think there is at Blizz who was working on WoW. I’m sure the men waaay out numbered the females by a large margin.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
It was a joke.

Plus how many women to men ratio you think there is at Blizz who was working on WoW
To get an accurate estimate you'd have to calculate how many of the dudes became women during development, which is a non-trivial number.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW has on the decline since after Wrath if you ask me.

Every WoW expansion made raiding worse in some way. The drop from 40 man to 25 man while trying to make every build viable was pure stupidity and class design has never recovered. Wrath of the Lich King introduced single-patch raid cycles, and what once was an easy system to navigate has turned into a Kafkaesque nightmare to anyone not balls deep in the raiding scene.

• 4Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was watching a video Asmongold talking about this situation and he said the decline of WoW was due to the sexual harrassments going on at Blizzard office. I’m not entirely sure if that’s the sole reason why WoW is currently in the shitty condition it is. I don’t know if he was talking just to hear himself or he actually believes that nonsense. WoW has on the decline since after Wrath if you ask me. MoP was okay, Cataclysm was bad, Warlords was bad, Legion was okay, BFA and Shadowlands sucked ass. You have creative directors making Ion horrible decisions, lazy story writers, people in charge who has no idea about PvP, bad itemization and the list goes on and on. Those and plus more is what caused the downfall of WoW not Furor Babedefiler and his party doing a raid on some young female intern.
WoW has been declining since the launch of TBC.

They made an imperfect semi sandbox that introduced their RTS and ARPG fans to MMOs.

Their real achievement was being a big name in RPGs with a lot of goodwill behind them and converting those players into monthly subs. The quality of the game wasn't necessarily the critical thing here, though it helped.

Square Enix did exactly the same thing, just focused on the Japanese market, so it wasn't a unique Blizzard accomplishment at all, something they are realising to their horror with the rise of FF14.

The good WoW expansions fixed some imperfections and created new ones being neutral in improving the game overall, the bad expansions just made the game worse. The game never got better, that's why Classic was so popular.

What the allegations do is paint a picture about why content updates are so slow despite budget/income, why game design issues only ever got worse and why they are going woke.

• 1Like

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I don't think you're wrong, but the inevitable conclusion to this is studios will hire less women. Nobody is actually shocked least of all the higher ups who are making public statements. They are just covering their own asses from the cancel mob. In the end though much like you will second guess hiring a black dude, you're going to second guess hiring a women. Just not worth the risk folks!

Is this really a bad thing anyways? Is there a single women of note on the original WoW team or any game for that matter? Have we seen any studio or business drastically improve after passing over highly qualified men to force equality and add women to their workforce? I don't think so!

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I pretty much felt it was classic and two stellar xpacs. WotlK mostly got it right imo (just my opinion); I'd definitely hear on TBC. Legion was still my favorite wow xpac after Wrath and TBC. I haven't fully put my finger on it but maybe its because I felt like specs had some actual progression for the first time in a while. First time seeing world quests maybe? The raids weren't great, but had a lot of call backs to earlier wow. The rest of it has been a shit show. I still don't fully get why MoP is so heralded. I didn't like the setting or think the raiding was that great but I was casualling it up then with a guild that was struggling to do some Heroic (or whatever was between normal and mythic).

• 1Like

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
The downfall started as soon as they started merger with other companies. Basically going Public ruined the company. All they can be now is a mobile bloodsucking microtransaction company from here on out.
Blizzard was owned by a public company before they merged with Activision. Blizzard hasn't been a private company since 1994. Even prior to being purchased by Vividendi it was passed around like a cheap whore.

The name "Blizzard" was literally forced onto the company by its parent company's legal department after they were served with a lawsuit for their then name, "Chaos Studios".

Last edited:
  • 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The downfall started as soon as they started merger with other companies. Basically going Public ruined the company. All they can be now is a mobile bloodsucking microtransaction company from here on out.

Dreamhaven (Morhaime) said in their charter they won't prioritize microtransactions and short-term game analytics as a design philosophy.

Whatever they come out with is worth looking at (assuming it's not going to just be mobile)

Morhaime wants to return to the source. There's hope for gaming not being dictated to by a board room.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've always held strong on the rule of not fucking coworkers ever. It only leads to shit like this.

Why these idiots just pick up fangirls at cons and bars I will never know.
One of my sister companies had a 5-star salesman (mid 6 figures a year) start banging one of the inside reps on the sly. They got sloppy. We have policies that strictly forbid it. We cut bait on both of them. Losing a great salesman and mediocre inside rep > better than lawsuit. We didn't hesitate for a moment.