Worth going all Apple?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You're either trolling or way out of your league right now.
Everything he answered is correct with the possible exception of video capture/audio interface, which are readily available externally. You're either trolling, or way out of your league right now.

FWIW, there are plenty of 1GbE Ethernet adapters that are PCI-E as well, but I suppose they're available through USB as well.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
No one is wanting Thunder Bolt to fail, but it won't replace USB as the interface of choice for many home electronics.
Full-size professional video capture, audio interface, SAS & SATA HBA, 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and RAID controller cards.
Professional audio interfaces (DAC or ADC) have been readily available for years with USB 2.0. Aside from that, the rest of them have a very niche market (which is what people have been saying btw).

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Professional audio interfaces (DAC or ADC) have been readily available for years with USB 2.0. Aside from that, the rest of them have a very niche market (which is what people have been saying btw).
smile.png
I'm pretty sure what you and I are talking about are leagues apart. Have fun editing that 4K audio via usb2.0.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Interesting comparison between Thunderbolt and USB 3.0:http://gizmodo.com/5980157/thunderbo...?post=56857929

Yeah, it's a Gizmodo link, but it's a crosspost from MaximumPC.

TLDR: Even though Thunderbolt is faster than USB 3.0 (16.9 GBs written in 23 seconds for Thunderbolt, 55 seconds for USB 3.0), they call it a tie due to the 'ubiquity' of USB vs Thunderbolt.

Yeah, we know, no one likes a tie, but to recommend one technology over the other at this point would be wrong. If you need performance external storage for video editing, photo editing, or other storage-intensive needs, Thunderbolt rules. It's over, right? Hands down, performance wins? Not quite. Ubiquity really matters in this world. As we said earlier, the inability to just grab your data and go to work at a friend's or colleague's without wondering if Thunderbolt is available is a major ding. Thunderbolt pricing is also at a premium, but really not quite as over-the-top as we expected. We acknowledge that T-bolt has other interesting configurations, but we think its primary purpose today will be for storage.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Youre confusing wanting it to fail with knowing its gonna flop due to something already doing what is required by 99.9% of the market for much cheaper already. Thunderbolt will most likely flop/fail/whateverthefuck because usb does what the overwhelming majority of consumers want and need out of connectivity. You dont need thunderbolt to connect your phone to the wall to charge it or transfer files between PCs.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
By your argument, we should still be using PCI for video because most people don't need the bandwidth that AGP delivered.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
By your argument, we should still be using PCI for video because most people don't need the bandwidth that AGP delivered.
I would imagine it costs mobo/video card manufacturers more to support multiple gfx interface types than it does peripheral manufacturers.

And this is as much or more about consumer convenience and marketing than it is about need. So is the majority of other tech progression. We may need more than integrated graphics for the stuff we're into, but the majority of people don't.

This whole 'discussion' is stupid, and I agree with those before who have said that USB isn't going anywhere for a while, and LB will be used for more professional/enthusiast applications.