WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh man what a shitshow;
Felmyst

I began this project roughly four years ago and last year when Blizzard began taking action more seriously it weighed heavily on me as not only was I already heavily invested into the work but others around me were as well. Because of my health situation I wasn't in a position to cut losses and start over on something different, at least not something that would take four years to make. Last year's news of what Blizzard was doing came at the absolute worst time for me, frankly, with so many years already invested. To explain what may appear as an odd series of decisions it seems worthwhile to disclose my condition, muscular dystrophy, which only one other person in the online sphere knew of until now.

Of course, that is why I'm not able to pick up and move to another country as an alternative means to host the server since I'm not really able to live on my own. That is also the reason I've been able to work mostly full time on this project as I'm unemployed, though I have sacrificed much of my well being dedicating everything I have to this. Why am I disclosing this? I'm not really sure, but I feel compelled to.

So the question instead becomes: why host it yourself? The problem with that is our popularity snowballed way too fast once the release date was set.

Before the release date was declared, most people expected the server to flounder with a small population, the irony of which quickly became a meme. Therefore, months ago I saw no reason to hand all of our work over to someone I didn't know when the project had a reasonable chance to stay small enough to avoid the need. Though I have no problem contributing to honest developers, the market to wrongfully profit from this stuff is much too lucrative to hand it out on a whim. Had we time to smooth out the release, this certainly would have been something to explore. The warning signs to expect notice from Blizzard were there but receiving it that quickly was something I don't think many expected.

So why did I make this project? I love the game and community, especially the community. The old game was a great way to meet people and see new faces. It makes me happy, and programming makes me happy. Of course, I am sad that things didn't turn out the way I'd hoped but I don't think I'd change any of the decisions I made. I gambled that we could cap the servers at 3k and enjoy a close community. Sadly, I did not win that gamble, though on some level it was nice to see so many people eager to enjoy something I worked on. This project gave the last four years of my life a sense of purpose that I thoroughly enjoyed.

So why not tell people of that plan ahead of time to stifle hype? The problem with private servers is that there is no middle ground. If people expect a server to "only" have 3000 (real) players then they just won't play and you'll instead end up with 300, which isn't playable.

A lot of people are of course asking for the source code. Although it may not be in my best interest to distribute the whole thing in its entirety at this point, I'll see what I can manage that would be beneficial to other programmers who are still learning.

Gummy

https://felmyst.com/

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This guy gummy is something else. Looks like after he took down felmyst Friday evening he put up another server and let a few dozen people play on it until it was outed Sunday night.

I've never seen anything quite like this before.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Im loving Elysium right now.

Population on daily is over 5k server seems to good. Im 38 playing casual

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Wow thanks for the heads up.

I've been taking a break from Anathema for about a month and now it's blown the fuck up.

Looks like the coup was successful and my characters were transferred over to Light's Hope. Welcome to Light's Hope

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Banezilla

Molten Core Raider
The server stability and latency seems to be better on Light's Hope. I think they were skimming more money out of the hosting donations than we know about.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
It's a shame that the official classic servers are probably a year or more away. I think there's so much nostalgia going around that if people scratch their itch on private servers they may not be interested when it comes around.

Looks like kronos 3 is coming out in about a month, how is the administration there?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Looks like kronos 3 is coming out in about a month, how is the administration there?

nfc. Imma check it out. Unfortunately my main is the most overplayed combo, so I'm :( about that. Human Warrior. I hate horde, lockpicking, soul shards, and healing. So my alternatives are just mage and hunter. From their stats it looks like my opinion on "that which is ass" is pretty common.

I'd really like a rebalanced classic wow where things like ret pals and fury druids aren't LOL to distribute the playerbase to more viable builds.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Every once in a while I think about doing some Emu server but then I see how they all turn into shit shows.

Shame Bliz are such fags and drag their feet on this.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with kronos? I'm playing there but I find it a bit odd that they dont publish their server #s.