WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was really looking forward to a Nost TBC server too. I guess all hope is now in the hands of Shiro at World of Corecraft. Only another 2 years of development or so left...

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
On the bright side Blizz, I /who Stormwind during primetime on my CONNECTED servers and get an astounding 20 people!

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
petition is almost at 42k. assuming it makes it to 50k, and there's no cheating, that would translate to 3/4 of a million dollars in sub fee's per month that blizzard could be hauling in if they were hosting bug free true to the original content legacy servers. They make a limp dick argument that they would have to divert staff and resources from the main projects but since the content is already there, it just needs to be polished and re-released, it seems like it would only require an initial investment. After that I don't imagine tuning and managing the communities would require much more than a skeleton crew compared to what they are used to working with for the current content/servers.

Dom_sl

shitlord
petition is almost at 42k. assuming it makes it to 50k, and there's no cheating, that would translate to 3/4 of a million dollars in sub fee's per month that blizzard could be hauling in if they were hosting bug free true to the original content legacy servers. They make a limp dick argument that they would have to divert staff and resources from the main projects but since the content is already there, it just needs to be polished and re-released, it seems like it would only require an initial investment. After that I don't imagine tuning and managing the communities would require much more than a skeleton crew compared to what they are used to working with for the current content/servers.
Problem is that once someone found a legacy server that they liked, they would be far less inclined to buy new expansions, which would just cut into Blizz's profits and make the whole thing a wash, or a loss. WoD sales alone grossed 165 million dollars in the first 24 hours. How many of those units sold were to people coming back for the TBC nostalgia that never get fulfilled? How many would have bought WoD if they could actually play TBC again?

kitsune

Problem is that once someone found a legacy server that they liked, they would be far less inclined to buy new expansions, which would just cut into Blizz's profits and make the whole thing a wash, or a loss. WoD sales alone grossed 165 million dollars in the first 24 hours. How many of those units sold were to people coming back for the TBC nostalgia that never get fulfilled? How many would have bought WoD if they could actually play TBC again?
I bet most people still check out the latest expansions because they are usually a good deal and really entertaining at the start. Why blizzard releases a huge content block every 2 years and then trickle stuff in the mean time will always puzzle me, as I felt the vanilla model was so much better before they started with constant expansions and nothing inbetween with WoD. If I could play vanilla on a dedicated server I probably would give it a whirl, at the same time I still like playing the latest version of the game (but nowadays the novelty wears of fairly quickly and the game goes stale. At least Legion seems to have a lot of nice quest content at the start)

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
This does suck but think about if you spend all your time now leveling a guy to 100 gearing him out etc. and now Legion release and everything on him is useless within a day. I would rather a Blizz vanilla server but doubt we'll ever see it or at least for several years until their numbers drop and they are no longer the big MMO
I played a lot with the level 100 guys, so I don't mind that aspect, it's built into the game. I just loved how more RPG was vanilla, how as a hunter I had to care for the pet, tame new ones to learn skills from them and then teach them to my loyal companion, ground mounts because I don't like flying ones, traveling was immersive, etc. all aspects that the "community" (or vocal minority) as labeled boring and pointless, so they could instead turborun through content and unsub 2 months later because "lol nuthing 2 do". Ok, not everyone thinks like this, but many do. Too much convenience, no longer a world, just a lobby game. Diablo 3 is frankly better nowadays, which is kinda sad.
I'm still subbed because it costs basically nothing, but holy shit, between Legion news which I don't like one bit and WoD, I may as well find a new game, too bad the others suck even more.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just require the current expansion license to access the Legacy Servers. Force them to buy expansions just like everyone else, and you lose no money.

Baek

my final moments.

gg blizz

rrr_img_130629.jpg

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Just require the current expansion license to access the Legacy Servers. Force them to buy expansions just like everyone else, and you lose no money.

I'd be fine with that. I usually buy the expansions anyway, but like others were saying it gets stale after the first 3 garrisons you upgrade, etc. However well managed Vanilla and TBC servers would keep me subbed for sure.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'd probably play a Blizzard vanilla server. Not full time but just for nostalgia and fun now and then.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
this makes me sad. even tho I last logged in like two weeks ago. I really wanted to hit 60 someday for 10 hour Alterac Valley battles. guess I will never see old-school packed AVs again
frown.png

Think i'll log in tonight for a few last WSGs with my 19s

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This just makes me so sad, lol. I still play here and there but on a completely dead server, that's more people than I've seen collectively in about 4 months. (not including cross-realm etc)
How can a business tell a customer what they don't want?

niss_sl

shitlord
Most of the people that enjoy vanilla don't enjoy the current retail iteration of wow so they're not even eligible customers. I haven't played since 2007 and have no intentions of playing in the future. And if they're really worried about it, charge them for the expansion pack.

Hopefully something good comes out of this but since Blizzard has no plans of actually providing their own version of the servers and Nostalrius made no profit off of it, it seems purely malicious in intent. Whoever made the call to shut them down is a terrible person deserving of something bad. The number of unique users that's been published by the nostalrium team is much higher than I expected; they're affecting a lot of people.