Wu-Tang: An American Saga

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Wu-Tang: An American Saga

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2019-09-04

Creator: RZA, Alex Tse

Cast: Tamiz U. Rezvi, Caleb Castille, Anthony Chisholm, Dave East, Zolee Griggs, Julian Elijah Martinez

Overview: In the early 1990's in New York, during the height of the crack cocaine epidemic, a visionary musician named Bobby Diggs aka The RZA begins to form a super group of a dozen young, black men, who will eventually rise to become one of the unlikeliest success stories in American music history.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The Old Dirty guy nails it. Main criticism so far is the young RZA scenes and if they wanted to do Fritz the Cat style animation they should have gone with more. Bakshi and Heavy Metal stuff had more detail.

Overall seems watered down. Thought watching actors play these parts would suck but it's not bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm enjoying the series especially being a huge Wu-tang fan ever since they came out. I would have never dreamed of a rivalry between Ghostface and Raekwon. Those two literally hated each other. And yes the actor who portrayed ODB nailed him perfectly. ODB's son tried to get the role but Rza said in an interview he needed more development. The only member who is not in the show is Ugod and I think it's because he and Rza have some issues between them. But anyone who is a Wutang or hip hop fan I would check it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Not as surprised about their rivalry as they all had ups and downs. Although it's interesting how Raekwon and Ghostface went from trying to kill each other to close friends and collaborators. Also heard about U-God's falling out with RZA. Doesn't make sense to exclude him entirely, I suppose.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm enjoying the series especially being a huge Wu-tang fan ever since they came out. I would have never dreamed of a rivalry between Ghostface and Raekwon. Those two literally hated each other. And yes the actor who portrayed ODB nailed him perfectly. ODB's son tried to get the role but Rza said in an interview he needed more development. The only member who is not in the show is Ugod and I think it's because he and Rza have some issues between them. But anyone who is a Wutang or hip hop fan I would check it out.

Super off-topic, but if you follow other urban products I'm guessing you've seen the show Power.

They are doing a docu/drama TV show based on the life of Big Meech, a major trafficker from LA to Atlanta who had eventually transitioned into hiphop ownership and rap music.

They want his son to play Big Meech, but people are saying its not a good look because they will struggle with DRAMA. Acting is a dramatization of events in a lot of ways you have to exaggerate moments and this guys son is so street, I can't see him having any appeal or character growth at all. Its just so far-fetched.

Same reason Eazy-E's son couldn't play Eazy in the N.W.A. movie. The producers felt he couldn't handle the dramatic scenes and wasn't classically trained on how to deliver lines and punctuate moments correctly.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Super off-topic, but if you follow other urban products I'm guessing you've seen the show Power.

They are doing a docu/drama TV show based on the life of Big Meech, a major trafficker from LA to Atlanta who had eventually transitioned into hiphop ownership and rap music.

They want his son to play Big Meech, but people are saying its not a good look because they will struggle with DRAMA. Acting is a dramatization of events in a lot of ways you have to exaggerate moments and this guys son is so street, I can't see him having any appeal or character growth at all. Its just so far-fetched.

Same reason Eazy-E's son couldn't play Eazy in the N.W.A. movie. The producers felt he couldn't handle the dramatic scenes and wasn't classically trained on how to deliver lines and punctuate moments correctly.
The only time I remember a son playing their father's role was Ice Cubes son in the NWA movie. Plus he looks just like his dad. Maybe because his dad a major part in directing and producing the movie?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only time I remember a son playing their father's role was Ice Cubes son in the NWA movie. Plus he looks just like his dad. Maybe because his dad a major part in directing and producing the movie?

It was that, and Ice Cube felt his son really hit the acting classes hard and took it seriously-- from what I gathered in an interview.

He really advocated for how seriously he was taking it and Dr. Dre agreed with him (another producer).

If Ice Cube wasn't a producer/director I think his son wouldn't have been cast though. He was OK and brought some authenticity but whatever 4th wall-breaking realism the son playing the younger version of the father brings isn't always worth it I think.

The BMF / big meech project is probably shot in the foot unless this kid has a whole nother personality he's hiding from everybody.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
It was that, and Ice Cube felt his son really hit the acting classes hard and took it seriously-- from what I gathered in an interview.

He really advocated for how seriously he was taking it and Dr. Dre agreed with him (another producer).

If Ice Cube wasn't a producer/director I think his son wouldn't have been cast though. He was OK and brought some authenticity but whatever 4th wall-breaking realism the son playing the younger version of the father brings isn't always worth it I think.

The BMF / big meech project is probably shot in the foot unless this kid has a whole nother personality he's hiding from everybody.
Is that the same BMF/Big Meech project that 50 cents is working on?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is that the same BMF/Big Meech project that 50 cents is working on?

Yep-- which means hes likely to desire "authenticity" over acting.

Let's just hope they really get on that kids ass and make it work. Waterboard him, whatever it takes to open him up and break him right...

I have a feeling though that Big Meech being personally involved (he and his brother are both communicating directly with 50 cent now and officially greenlit the project) brings a certain level of deference, and that their direct involvement makes it even less likely they would recast if necessary, due to the amount of street respect and overall community respect these guys had (during sentencing the judge was moved greatly by the outpouring of support for these 2 men, and said he really wished he could do a sentence below the 30 year sentence but his hands were tied. The judge had never seen another case in his life where people cared so much what happens to the guys who got caught).

So its not just about street respect, these guys were also beloved in the Atlanta community and "spread it around" and helped a lot of people who were in financial pain just not having a good time in life. A bit of a modern Robin Hood story.

50 Cent has some good producers around and above him. I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
TV show information provided by The Movie Database