X4 Foundations

Argarth

On the verandah
Been pretending it hasn't released yet...

That continues to be the safest bet.

I refunded it soon after release, and from what I can gather (ignoring the bugs) it's still an unfinished, poorly optimized shell of a game. I don't think it's worth more than ~$20 now, and only if you really want to tool around in the trade simulator. Forget the "space game", it's not finished, and yet they've already announced a paid expansion, LOL.

Needs at least a year or two before it's worth another look imo, if at all. Yep, I'm just a tad salty. =)

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Denaut just doesn't like the game(s) or the company and doesn't understand how anyone else can.

I haven't played X4 yet, but will eventually. Liked X2 / X3, but I waited a long time for them to fix them up before jumping in. That's just the way this company operates and it works for them.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I detailed exactly how and why the game would fail as a game before it even came out. It then proceeded to do so in exactly the way I described it would. This is outside the giant list of bugs and outright broken mechanics that many other people predicted. The game is empty, shallow, boring, and without direction.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has only failed in your mind. For the rest of us who understand the X games, it's business as usual.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I detailed exactly how and why the game would fail as a game before it even came out. It then proceeded to do so in exactly the way I described it would. This is outside the giant list of bugs and outright broken mechanics that many other people predicted. The game is empty, shallow, boring, and without direction.

Cool man. Thanks for your opinion on a series of games you have no actual interest in. It's been super helpful. Maybe you can go complain to Overwatch players how their game sucks because it doesn't have real time strategy elements.

Argarth Argarth The latest patched version shows significant performance improvements on my end. I have no idea if my issues were the same as yours though.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Cool man. Thanks for your opinion on a series of games you have no actual interest in. It's been super helpful.

Funnily enough I have a few hundred hours in the X games across the series, and watched them become increasingly worse. Egosoft's design incompetence leads to them screwing up the things they occasionally get right and failing to address all of the things they keep getting wrong.

This results in X4 being the worst one yet.

But keep it up with the insults rather than talk about the actual game. I know it is difficult since there isn't much of a game to talk about, but you could start with my posts on the first few pages.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Funnily enough I have a few hundred hours in the X games across the series, and watched them become increasingly worse. Egosoft's design incompetence leads to them screwing up the things they occasionally get right and failing to address all of the things they keep getting wrong.

This results in X4 being the worst one yet.

But keep it up with the insults rather than talk about the actual game. I know it is difficult since there isn't much of a game to talk about, but you could start with my posts on the first few pages.

Nobody is insulting you. You're being told that we're not interested in the opinion you keep insisting on giving. You had no interest whatsoever in this game from moment one, and decided to make sure everyone knew your opinion about it. "The niche spaceship simulator from a small dev team doesn't have enough polish!" No fucking shit, Sherlock.

We heard what you had to say. You're just grinding an axe at this point.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I want to get into the X-Series and have been waiting for this one to get to acceptable levels of play. What do you guys think - another 6 months before its about ready?

Argarth

On the verandah
Argarth Argarth The latest patched version shows significant performance improvements on my end. I have no idea if my issues were the same as yours though.

The two specific issues I had were:

1. Ship AI/Pathing was so bad especially in the starting areas around stations, that NPCs would repeatedly ram each other/create log-jams/get stuck in walls. This would fully peg some CPU threads, then the frame rate would tank severely, and never recover. I was able to duplicate this repeatedly with any number of fresh game starts.

2. I borrowed another player's save (he had established a trade network already (not massive though) and I couldn't achieve 60 FPS even standing on the Bridge in one of his ships, doing nothing but stare at the floor. That broke the camel's back for me, heh.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Nobody is insulting you. You're being told that we're not interested in the opinion you keep insisting on giving. You had no interest whatsoever in this game from moment one, and decided to make sure everyone knew your opinion about it. "The niche spaceship simulator from a small dev team doesn't have enough polish!" No fucking shit, Sherlock.

We heard what you had to say. You're just grinding an axe at this point.

Fortunately for all of us this isn't a private chat and you aren't everyone. People have in fact asked for opinions on the game that weren't you, and they received them. Some people even agreed with me (imagine that).

Your rabid defense for what is clearly an incompetently made junk product from a medium sized (not small) team puts you firmly in worthless fanboy territory. The size of the team has nothing to do with the poor design decisions they made, and (like I said before) better design decisions would have made their already stretched resources go further.

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fortunately for all of us this isn't a private chat and you aren't everyone. People have in fact asked for opinions on the game that weren't you, and they received them. Some people even agreed with me (imagine that).

Your rabid defense for what is clearly an incompetently made junk product from a medium sized (not small) team puts you firmly in worthless fanboy territory. The size of the team has nothing to do with the poor design decisions they made, and (like I said before) better design decisions would have made their already stretched resources go further.

/shrug Fanboy it is. I don't have a problem with that, you sure do though.

You are swinging at air here. Must be frustrating.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I haven't defended the game at all, and have repeatedly said that it wasn't ready, but don't let that get in the way with your narrative.

You're looking for something that this series has never had, and never will. Polish and refined systems is how we ended up with the afterbirth that was Rebirth. You're too damn obstinate to realize that you're looking for love in all the wrong places, and then whining like a child when you find out the chick actually has a dick, despite the clear signs of man-hands and an adam's apple.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Thanks, so not really ready.

I'll kick this hornets nest again in a couple months heh

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks, so not really ready.

I'll kick this hornets nest again in a couple months heh

I would wait until at least the first DLC is out, to buy.

This should give enough time for the better mod makers to kick it into gear. Unfortunatly, I dont think we will see anything along the lines of X3: Litcube Universe mod (or the sub mod of Litcube, Mayhem) for a while, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Bump this shit!

there was a discussion on "space Mount and blade" in the Starsector Reddit. some people claiming this was the most apt, mount and blade in space.
so that left me wondering what everyones opinion on that here is. I missed this one somehow. Denaut sure doesn't seem like he was impressed with earlier versions. seems like stupid amounts of DLC for it now. base game every get gud?

kindof also wondering if Denaut has played starsector or mount and blade/bannerlord.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Bump this shit!

there was a discussion on "space Mount and blade" in the Starsector Reddit. some people claiming this was the most apt, mount and blade in space.
so that left me wondering what everyones opinion on that here is. I missed this one somehow. Denaut sure doesn't seem like he was impressed with earlier versions. seems like stupid amounts of DLC for it now. base game every get gud?

kindof also wondering if Denaut has played starsector or mount and blade/bannerlord.
Don’t know mount and blade. I do enjoy X4 though. The story isn’t the greatest, the combat can be a little wonky in person, and if you don’t role play the part a bit, the player can easily “game” the system once they figure the game out. Where it excels is in the corporation building and star base construction. I like to play as the CEO of a corp and just have my underlings do everything for me, while occasionally venturing out to look at stuff. In this way the game can be chill like a city builder or what not.