X4 Foundations

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
A billion times. See my original post above X4 Foundations

Yeah, I'd refund and just join the rest of us that are letting it bake for a time. Those sort of slowdowns in X3 only came when you were in a system with a complex or massive combat, or running SETA. It's not acceptable otherwise.

My current plan is to revisit when they release the first "expansion" mentioned in the collectors edition.

Argarth

On the verandah
Yeah, I'd refund and just join the rest of us that are letting it bake for a time. Those sort of slowdowns in X3 only came when you were in a system with a complex or massive combat, or running SETA. It's not acceptable otherwise.

My current plan is to revisit when they release the first "expansion" mentioned in the collectors edition.

Here's an example of the CPU graph, when the game is @ 48 FPS. No wonder the engine is throttling. See you in 3 , er 6 , a year maybe!
X4CPUTanking.PNG

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
lol these x series casuals who think games are playable on release. It'll get there, and honestly you probably want the content from an expansion.

The X series has always had a very long tail.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
E : D is in a static universe on a multiplayer server (though you can play in "single player mode") where basically the only things that change are things the Devs change themselves. However, you can explore a VAST universe and get your name on the discoverer's tab of systems you're the first to visit.

This game is a single player game where you alter the universe you are in by building up an empire.
Well the background simulation is affected and affects the single player server. Same for powerplay factions and stuff. I think. Last I played was around easter.

This interested me at first but I already own Elite Dangerous so why spend more money on basically the same thing right?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well the background simulation is affected and affects the single player server. Same for powerplay factions and stuff. I think. Last I played was around easter.

This interested me at first but I already own Elite Dangerous so why spend more money on basically the same thing right?

ED and X don't really match up outside of comparisons on paper. Vastly different approaches to the same game.

Curated infinite vs simulated nigh-infinite universe
High Concept vs Low Concept Sci-fi
Unrefined systems vs excessively refined systems
Direct control over lots of assets vs Your one controlled ship and no solo property ownership

And a lot of other stuff

X is like if you took just ED's "The bubble", shrank it down, allowed you to build stations, control all your ships to interact with things, turned the Thargoid's into a comical species, removed a lot of the polish etc...

X: You progress to control the simulation
ED: You progress to explore the simulation

I have little hope for Star Citizen, but I hope it finds a happy medium inbetween X and ED, because both of them go a little too far in their respective directions for my tastes.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
X is like if you took just ED's "The bubble", shrank it down, allowed you to build stations, control all your ships to interact with things, turned the Thargoid's into a comical species, removed a lot of the polish etc...
Well thanks I guess. Now I want it.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Well thanks I guess. Now I want it.

It sounds great in theory, unfortunately due to lack of design the execution is far from what it should be. If you haven't yet read the earlier posts I made on the X Series, you should do that first. X4 has all of those problems and some of its own, such as the even more basic and worse core combat. There are also lots of things broken despite what you are hearing including basic functionality such as turret AI.

Also, according to someone on the official forums the aforementioned streamer (CohhCarnage) has stopped playing the game due to bugs and broken mechanics and plans on picking it up again later. So it might be something you want to wait for a sale on.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That was some sales pitch. Would have worked on me too. Bravo!

I didn't intend it as any sort of "should buy" pitch. I don't endorse buying buggy games, and the X series is so deep into being niche games that I'm more likely to tell someone they won't like it than they will. That said, the X series is very much worth looking into for people that dislike the sterile nature of Elite.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
It sounds great in theory, unfortunately due to lack of design the execution is far from what it should be. If you haven't yet read the earlier posts I made on the X Series, you should do that first. X4 has all of those problems and some of its own, such as the even more basic and worse core combat. There are also lots of things broken despite what you are hearing including basic functionality such as turret AI.

Also, according to someone on the official forums the aforementioned streamer (CohhCarnage) has stopped playing the game due to bugs and broken mechanics and plans on picking it up again later. So it might be something you want to wait for a sale on.

Yes, yes, there are plenty of things wrong with X4. It was rushed, just like the last one. Though Rebirth was a complete and utter train-wreck which I managed to avoid, thankfully.

I'm returning X4 because of the performance only. I just happen to be REALLY picky about that aspect, and I can't see how it can be completely resolved, to be honest. I don't care too much about the bugs, they will get fixed, and as always EgoSoft will be patching this forever and the community will help out with mods.

BTW, Cohh is back playing, found a workaround, and his game stopper was patched out the next day anyway.

====

EDIT: One last thing Ronaan Ronaan if you are seriously thinking about giving it a try. Would recommend the GOG version, because they have a 30 day money-back guarantee.

Spend some time on the EgoSoft forums, especially the Technical Support one. There is plenty to "complain" about, other than just the bugs. Wonky AI, missing content, unfinished features, smaller universe than the last one, half baked/near useless tutorials, empty placeholders in the Encyclopedia, and the list goes on.

Having said all that, the game/universe is quite unique, and is much loved by a very passionate group of fans and modders, warts and all.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
I didn't intend it as any sort of "should buy" pitch. I don't endorse buying buggy games, and the X series is so deep into being niche games that I'm more likely to tell someone they won't like it than they will. That said, the X series is very much worth looking into for people that dislike the sterile nature of Elite.

Oh I was just having a friendly dig at you, nothing more. =)

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm sure all of your complaints are valid, but they don't address the fact that we still enjoy these games.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah don't worry, I'll wait for a discount. I almost never buy full price games. Keeping an eye on it though, thanks guys.

• 1Solidarity

Argarth

On the verandah
Well my full cash refund request with GoG was approved, without too much fuss.

Took a couple of days of back and forth, doing some troubleshooting and linking a couple of posts from the EgoSoft Forums to support my case. Considering I wasn't even complaining about the bugs, (just performance) I thought that was fair enough.

The tech support guy I dealt with was also very polite. Very happy with the service I must say.

It's a damn shame really; would have kept it and just waited the bugs and missing content out. I'm no programmer, but I can't see how this isn't going to be a constant chug-fest for everyone in late game. They've even admitted that the CPU is going to be the bottleneck, but seeing single threads being pegged fully @ 100% while many others are doing nothing just doesn't make sense. That's at the start too. I hardly left the first sector, and hadn't even started trading.

Seems they would need to completely rewrite how all the "simulation" tasks running in the background are shared out. I even loaded up a save from a Forum poster (he had 3 mining freighters, a handful of NPCs on each, and had quite a few trades going on between the different sectors.

I load into the bridge on one of the freighters, and 55 FPS was the best I saw, even staring at the floor. Nope!

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would still play the shit out of TC/AP if the game had UI scaling. It's unplayable on 4k and intolerable on 1440p

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
anyone continue playing this? still put it in the worth category?

Patch 1.5 came out a few days ago. Most bugs are gone and I am having a lot of fun playing this as a SciFi RTS fame micromanaging my fleet and expanding my trade universe. I am ignoring the "wing commander" aspect of this game, though

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Hows this one doing? Been pretending it hasn't released yet to give some time for all the good stuff to come out. Steam sale for it right now. I loved X3, I don't think I played past the first couple missions, just loved the sandbox.