Xbox Wireless Controller for PC Gaming - Bluetooth Connection Constantly Cuts Out

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I bought a new Xbox Wireless Controller for desktop PC gaming via bluetooth.
connected the controller and found that every 30-60 seconds it loses and reestablishes its connection

I read up on it online and found tons of reports of the same issue, with recommendations to download the XBOX Accessories app from the MS Store, connect the controller via USB, then update the controller firmware.
After doing this, I went into Device Mgr and "removed" the connected controller, restarted the PC, and then reconnected the controller via bluetooth.

No change, still cuts out every 30-60 seconds, making wireless controller gameplay impossible.

I've seen some other reports that the only way people got this to work was to buy the Xbox Wireless Controller Adapter, which seems redundant to me since I have Bluetooth on my mobo and all my drivers are updated. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it, as I can't return the controller (customized from XBox Design Lab)

anyone got any experience with this?
thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
connected the controller and found that every 30-60 seconds it loses and reestablishes its connection

I read up on it online and found tons of reports of the same issue, with recommendations to download the XBOX Accessories app from the MS Store, connect the controller via USB, then update the controller firmware.
After doing this, I went into Device Mgr and "removed" the connected controller, restarted the PC, and then reconnected the controller via bluetooth.

No change, still cuts out every 30-60 seconds, making wireless controller gameplay impossible.

I've seen some other reports that the only way people got this to work was to buy the Xbox Wireless Controller Adapter, which seems redundant to me since I have Bluetooth on my mobo and all my drivers are updated. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it, as I can't return the controller (customized from XBox Design Lab)

thanks!
out of all the controllers for pc i've used ps3/ps4/xbox360 and they were garbage/annoying/lag/connect/disconnect/3rd party software

until
cc4519c0fb92806410024494212eed81.png

8Bitdo Pro 2 Bluetooth Controller for Switch, PC, macOS, Android, Steam & Raspberry Pi (Gray Edition) - Nintendo Switch

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

thanks!
So I had this problem constantly with my Xbox Wireless Controller, it would d/c during COD:Warzone at the worst moments and I just couldn't have that.

I ended up purchasing the adapter, but I found the issue was the fucking powersave mode.

Solution 4: Disabling Power Saving for the Controller

There are enhancements made to the Windows OS to ensure that you get the optimum amount of power-saving. Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power feature turns off/disconnects any device which is not in use for a specific period of time. While this can be a very useful feature, it is a pain when it comes to the Xbox One controller. Once the computer disables it, Xbox goes into a bugged mode where after you even connect it, it will disconnect automatically after some time. We can try disabling this option and checking if this solves the problem.

1. Launch the Run application (press Windows + R button). Type in “devmgmt.msc”. This will launch your computer’s device manager and all the devices connected to your computer will be listed here. Ensure that you have connected your Xbox One controller prior to following this step so it shows up among the list of devices.
  2. Now locate your Xbox One controller (it will most probably be in Xbox adapter windows). Once you locate it, right-click on it and click on Properties.
  3. Once in the Properties, select the tab of Power Management. Here you will see two tick boxes. The first one will say “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. Make sure that the option is unchecked.
10-33.png.webp

1. Restart your computer and see if the problem in question got resolved or not.

P.p.s there is a boatload of shit advice out there regarding this issue. They have people uninstalling NVIDEA GeForce and all sorts of shit.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
out of all the controllers for pc i've used ps3/ps4/xbox360 and they were garbage/annoying/lag/connect/disconnect/3rd party software

until
cc4519c0fb92806410024494212eed81.png

8Bitdo Pro 2 Bluetooth Controller for Switch, PC, macOS, Android, Steam & Raspberry Pi (Gray Edition) - Nintendo Switch
On the advice of these forums, I got this controller and it constantly cuts out when trying to use it on the Switch. It will not stay connected. I connected it to my computer via USB and updated the firmware thinking that would fix the issue but it hasn't. Contacted the company but there isn't anything they can do since shipping it back to them would cost more than the thing is worth.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
On the advice of these forums, I got this controller and it constantly cuts out when trying to use it on the Switch. It will not stay connected. I connected it to my computer via USB and updated the firmware thinking that would fix the issue but it hasn't. Contacted the company but there isn't anything they can do since shipping it back to them would cost more than the thing is worth.
were you really far away?

idk if this works for switch, but did you try connecting it wired through the switch to see if there were issues then?

i did have an issue using 2 of these on my pc, turns out my cheapo usb bt controller was to blame, so i got an upgraded asus bt5 and no issues.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
i did have an issue using 2 of these on my pc, turns out my cheapo usb bt controller was to blame, so i got an upgraded asus bt5 and no issues.

I had issues on my PC on BT, but it turned out that I just needed to attach the mobo antenna. Never had bothered with that before but it's been rock solid ever since.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had issues on my PC on BT, but it turned out that I just needed to attach the mobo antenna. Never had bothered with that before but it's been rock solid ever since.
yea in both our cases it was just the bt, but if you connect wired it works like a champ (this is good to diagnose wireless issues, imo)

tbh i play with wired anyway, so i know theres no "lag" and it's just my shitty old man skills that suck, lulz, but if wife and i both play, we're both wireless cuz of sitting on the bed

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I ended up purchasing the adapter, but I found the issue was the fucking powersave mode...
thanks for the tip

tried it, but no dice. the controller still starts blinking and I lose connection once every minute or two.
the adapter comes tomorrow and I'm hoping that works... otherwise, I guess I'll plug in and play wired... fuck

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
thanks for the tip

tried it, but no dice. the controller still starts blinking and I lose connection once every minute or two.
the adapter comes tomorrow and I'm hoping that works... otherwise, I guess I'll plug in and play wired... fuck
I think the adapter will help, let me know if it fixes it. It’s frustrating as fuck, so I hope that works for you.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
were you really far away?

idk if this works for switch, but did you try connecting it wired through the switch to see if there were issues then?

Nope, not super far away, I need to do some more testing.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
the Xbox Wireless Controller USB adapter did the trick... no disconnects, and input lag is way down.
bummer that it was necessary, but glad I can play wireless now.

• 1Like