XCom 2 mod development

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had so many ideas that I've never done anything with, so with XCom 2 I'm gonna actually try to develop a couple mods, simple stuff at first then we'll see how it goes. Creating this thread for suggestions and to coordinate if anyone else wants to give it a try.

My initial brainstorm results

Class: Shock Trooper - Short range tanky type, maybe influenced by Infantry from LW

Class: Hitman(working title) - More of a 'this seems like it would be funny but impractical' idea, a pistol/melee type. Partially inspired by Zhang from Operation Slingshot.

Hunkering down gives a stealth bonus next turn, possibly improved by deep cover ranger ability

Give SMGs additional bonuses related to stealth

Chain Shot, Hail of Bullets, Rupture, and Saturation Fire all apply holo-targeting

Make Aim (Gunslinger ability) not suck

Time until game loss when avatar progress reaches max no longer resets (meaning you have X days per campaign that the aliens can be at max research, then it's game over)

Allow player to choose continent bonuses (but not placement)

*new ideas*

Destroyed turrets give cover

Make blades benefit from weapon upgrades

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This post can be for troubleshooting for now I guess. Here's how I solved the problem I had where the dev build wouldn't run after I finished wonloading it.

Turns out that Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Isolated Shell redistributable package shipped with the tool requires Win XP SP 3 and thus can't be installed for Win 7. The solution is to download it manually.

Download Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell (Isolated) Redistributable Package from Official Microsoft Download Center

Also, read XCOM 2 SDK\Documentation and install XCOM 2 SDK\Binaries\Redist\UE3Redist.exe package.
Here are some modding resources

An Introduction to Xcom 2 Modding - YouTube

XCOM 2 mod development subreddit

XCOM 2 Mods

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would like to see an equipment item that gives a unit the ability to call in air support to lay circle, line or cone of destruction across the zone. Limit one per squad.

Also rework ranks entirely. Officers cost more to recruit. Limit one officer per squad. Officers have way more ability selections, including the leader abilities. Non-officer soldiers would get enlisted ranks. It's retarded that you can have a squad of 6 colonels.

I'm probably smart enough to do a lot of this myself, until it involves adding new assets.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_126228.png

You have to download the 66gig dev build.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can we get a mod to make your hp stack in 5's like the last one? I don't like how I have no clue how many hp someone has at a glance, I don't understand why they changed it.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Gavin, could you try and make a mod that lets me set up my squads to where I don't have to go through and select them one by one? Like, selecting A Squad would auto fill the 4-6 slots.

And that Show Health Values mod is a godsend.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've never modded before. Don't expect anything beyond the most simple stuff for at least a month. Without someone to handhold me through writing a couple, the only way to teach myself is to try and reverse engineer existing mods.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I've never modded before. Don't expect anything beyond the most simple stuff for at least a month. Without someone to handhold me through writing a couple, the only way to teach myself is to try and reverse engineer existing mods.
Just make a full Warhammer 40k conversion mod stat !