XCOM Chimera Squad

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
So is it Xcom: Democratic Talking Points or not? Also I hear Gears Tactics might be pretty good... may keep my $ for that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So is it Xcom: Democratic Talking Points or not?

I'm only an hour in, but not? People are wildly overreacting to the diversity shit. I don't get the feeling it's them stuffing identity politics into the game, it's them making a tribute to Apocalypse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
So is it Xcom: Democratic Talking Points or not? Also I hear Gears Tactics might be pretty good... may keep my $ for that.

There is no agenda pushing here, outside of relations to the main story. I.E. you are in a city that is trying to get humans, aliens, and hybrids(?!) to live in harmony. None of the characters push feminism or any other shit on you. That said, for the most part the characters range from innocuous to insufferable with their battle quips, so no go there. But at least no real world parallels or SJWism.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is no agenda pushing here, outside of relations to the main story. I.E. you are in a city that is trying to get humans, aliens, and hybrids(?!) to live in harmony. None of the characters push feminism or any other shit on you. That said, for the most part the characters range from innocuous to insufferable with their battle quips, so no go there. But at least no real world parallels or SJWism.

“We need to get this building cleared stat, send a team around back.”

“Sorry xer, we’re having trouble finding a person of color to round out the breach squad, we will keep looking and get back to you.”

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

This forum is the infested with triggered shitlords, you’re really surprised they don’t give a game a chance because a cinematic commercial showed a woman cop? Lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

“Sorry xer, we’re having trouble finding a person of color to round out the breach squad, we will keep looking and get back to you.”

Do not besmirch the good name of XCom with this drivel.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It’s a joke against these raging SJW tards in this thread. Calm down auty.
Hwunn5U.jpg

• 2Seriously?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had to punt this one, the writing and voice work were just too awful when you consider that this is supposed to be the "story driven" version of XCOM. I don't mind (actually, prefer) the simplified base stuff, but the combat wasn't doing it for me either. I didn't think it would be a big deal at first, but I really don't like the alternating turns thing at all, the breach stuff just feels like a gimmick after a couple missions, and the maps are the size of shoeboxes. It has a fair number of bugs too.

Hopefully Gears Tactics turns out better than this did.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't really comparing anything about them other than release dates. I was looking forward to this game more than Gears, regardless of budget/price. I certainly wouldn't pay $60 for Gears either, but thankfully it's on Gamepass and essentially free.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Definitely makes sense to compare a 10 dollar game to a 60 dollar one.

i get your point and i'm not trying to pick a fight. i think it's totally fine to compare a 10 dollar game to a 60 dollar one. there are PLENTY of $60 AAA games that were soulless, machine printed games and there are PLENTY of $10 games that are brilliant works of art made by a passionate team. there are obvious caveats, as far as funding and available resources...

but from what i've seen, gears tactics seems like it's being treated as it's own thing, whereas chimera squad seems like it's just sort of... thrown together to keep some interest in the brand

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I'm enjoying the game. Balance among the different members of the squad seems to be insanely poor though - the fucking Templar type unit just murders everything.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I beat it, its worth 10 dollars. Took me 24 hours to complete on whatever the default difficulty was called. Gets repetitive towards the end, but I pushed through because I wanted to see if there was a good link to XCOM 3. Sadly, there is not.

Spoiler, not so spoiler: The end game cutscene is literally two faceless NPC's mustache twirling in a dark room stating "The battle for City 31 is lost, but XCOM will not be prepared for our masterplan in the greater conflict, muahahahahah!".

The story was, eh, three gangs all propped up by a mysterious organization, which just winds up being the mercenary group who ran protection for City 31 before XCOM kicked them out and took over.

Combat was enjoyable, I liked the changes: with the four man teams, breaking missions into separate encounters, and the breach mechanic. The power curve still runs the same as normal
XCOM, where you start out with soldiers that eventually become super heroes. Who wind up taking down 2.5x as many enemies as you have squaddies on each encounter. A lot of assets are obviously reused from XCOM 2, but that's to be expected given the price point.

I must say that I do like that you now have Vipers/Sectoids/Advent/Mutons fighting with humanity, as that means that the enemies in XCOM 3 should be completely new, and not simply a revamp like XCOM: EU -> XCOM 2.

TLDR: It keeps XCOM in people's minds for a low price point, and is generally enjoyable, if underwhelming, in comparison to the mainline XCOM titles.

Cybsled

Ya, I hope Xcom 3 keeps the mixed human/alien squad concept and you all end up fighting the "true" big bad that the Elders warn you about at the end of Xcom 2. I mean you already tinker with it a bit in Xcom 2 with the freed Advent.

goishen

Macho Ma'am

GOT IT!
newwarriors2020newkids-snowflake-and-safespace.jpg

• 2Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm only an hour in, but not? People are wildly overreacting to the diversity shit. I don't get the feeling it's them stuffing identity politics into the game, it's them making a tribute to Apocalypse.

Apocalypse is my #2

I kinda got into the whole theme of that with the vehicles and style

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bought it. Alien squad members? Keeping the city in check like Judge Dredd? Positive reviews? 10 bucks? Sounds good.

I have this, Gears Tactics, and Wasteland 3 on deck.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Turns out it's a bad idea to take cover behind the mission objective that you're supposed to be protecting.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I found this to be a great small experience in general. I think this game was a very clever twist on Xcom's classic gameplay, and took an unfavorable situation in the main game and turned it into the bread and butter of what Chimera Squad is. In the mainline gameplay, breaching or being breached in a building through many sides is one of the least desirable outcomes to find yourself in. Its all about murdering in the streets or clearing the interior out with one big movement in. Everyone is "in range" in chimera squad, and as such the All Allies/All Enemies turn resolution cannot work inside Xcom's base combat system. The named characters with alternate wounding mechanics was also a good adaptation to putting everyone inside gun range to open with. The alternating individual initiative is just the change it needed, and of all the characters I tried, there was some enjoyment in all of them for the most part. Definitely worth 10 bucks especially if you like Xcom.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user