XCOM: Enemy Within

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Trying out classic ironman and learning that I may not be good enough at this game to do this. I've been playing very cautiously and missing the first meld in every other mission, sometimes both =/

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh yea Dandai - I'm good at EU but EW I actually went back to Easy for relearning Meld and EXALT complicate high difficulties soooooo much.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Trying out classic ironman and learning that I may not be good enough at this game to do this. I've been playing very cautiously and missing the first meld in every other mission, sometimes both =/
Sometimes you need a little luck to get the classic + ironman games started - despite your best intentions you can still miss some high % shots that lead to casualties even with making sure you always have that backup plan (nades) to cover any bad streaks. If you customize your soldier last names with a text file - you can fill it up with forum members, family, guild, whatever - and it makes the ironman difficulty a bit more engaging. My friends and I had no end of stories about how our ironmen soldiers died and who it was.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Draegan/Droigan bothers me. I never noticed those two for some reason.

Also back on FoH when all those fags had LSU avatars. 3 of them very/exact same for a few months. That ain't cool man.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Relevant:

I've had similar experiences and it's infuriating. Currently on my first marathon run and holy shit at 200 dollar satellites.
Funny thing is, the guy playing had a troop with Run & Gun, which you can use to dash to a meld and still click, then shoot or overwatch on the same move.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Given he was playing on impossible his main goal was to keep his dudes alive. If he would have run and gunned immediately to the meld just to click it, 6 sectoids would have been on his assaults nuts the next turn most likely leading to his/her death. Instead he moved his rookie to check out the area, triggered 6 sectoids and then moved him across the way deep behind a truck so the only move the sectoids had was to move forward into the range of his other dudes grenades. Trading a soldier for 10 meld just ain't worth it.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Beagle - the dude in the video is really quite good at EU - he did an awesome series on ironman impossible but gave it up part way through they were super enjoyable watches as he edited them down to take out all the blank turns with little or no action while scouting the map safely. I hope he does something as enjoyable with EW.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you customize your soldier last names with a text file - you can fill it up with forum members, family, guild, whatever - and it makes the ironman difficulty a bit more engaging.
I did 5 seconds worth of googling and didn't see a guide on this, but I found the DefaultNameList file that I assume the game pulls from to make the soldier names. There are over hundred lines in this thing though... Is there an easier way to customize it than going line by line, replacing names?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I did 5 seconds worth of googling and didn't see a guide on this, but I found the DefaultNameList file that I assume the game pulls from to make the soldier names. There are over hundred lines in this thing though... Is there an easier way to customize it than going line by line, replacing names?
That's the file and there isn't a particularly quick way to do it other than changing the names unless you find some script or something online that someone has made. You really only need to touch the last names so they keep their country flavor with the first. It takes a little while to do but that just depends on how many friends/family you want to put in the text file. I did people from my guild and friends - but if you're serious about ironman playthrough it truly made the game hilarious and a lot more humorous to me when my soldiers had some epic failures.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Game is good. Not sure if I agree the Mec soldiers are blatently overpowered. Personally I find my best character to be a gene enhanced sniper that never misses and is specced for high ground advantage. I have those jumping legs modification on him so he's always got the high ground and with double tap he can clear an army by himself. I think my main army right now is 2x Mec, 1x Sniper, 1x Heavy, 1x Medic, 1x Assault. But sometimes I swap out one of my mecs for either another assault, heavy or sniper depending on who is injured.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't believe they have an open platform for things like that but I doubt anything is really stopping them from publishing the tools they used to make all this stuff

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Is this game moddable or will it ever be?
There are no dev provided tools, but yeah, the vanilla game had some pretty decent mods done by the modding community. Probably gonna be a little while though, since they have to start over for the expansion, I think. I really miss my armor and weapons mods. And I do not like this new thing where your weapon changes color to match your armor, looks cheap. I need to find out if there's an option somewhere to turn that off.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is this game moddable or will it ever be?
It's probably waaaay more work than you're wanting to do, but it looks like you can import pretty much all of their assets and systems using the free version of UDK (I haven't tried this myself yet). I've worked with UDK for a couple of years, and between their file structure and lack of any at-a-glance encryption, it looks like the importing would be pretty straightforward.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
base defense I had three of my last squad on the team and two guys that aren't part of my barracks at all.

It's pretty odd you have rookies with assault rifles defending your base when you're probably swimming in Exalt Laser Rifles at that point + no more Rookies from officer school active...