XCOM: Enemy Within

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
EU was worth the full price, but this DLC is not. $30 for a few maps, weapons/armor, soldier abilities, and a resource? Yeah, more MP shit that I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't give a fuck about.

It looks like a great DLC.. for $15-20.

Luckily EU was on sale almost all the time, hopefully this is too.
Well there seems to be more to it than you just listed, plus this trailer further fuels my hope in base defense missions which i hoped for since i spotted an early beta (alpha) screenshot of this xpac.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Title makes more sense now - and it's interesting the one guy towards the end has the "eye goo" thing from the FPS's Sleepwalkers... wonder if they're actually going to tie in the FPS, any ties were REALLY REALLY loose at best.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I liked the new one, but there were a few things that just did not feel quite right. The first thing was how the game made you feel rushed. I know the developers said they wanted to put a sense of urgency into the story line, but it just never felt right to me. The second was the lack of research. It seemed like there were far far too few projects to study, and lastly was the small number of missions. I played through the game twice completely and started a 3rd and it just felt like cut and paste jobs with zero variety. (the same two or three rescue missions, the same handful of ship wrecks in the same looking woodland scenes. It just really gave me a "only play it once and then put it away" feeling that I just never got with the original. I noticed they added an extended duration campaign option in one of the updates but never tried it to see if it made it feel any better. Hopefully this one has more re-playability that the last one didn't.

Vaclav

The maps are a very reasonable complaint - but its one that the expansion is tackling alot from what they say (quintupling the number of maps I think they said?)

Tenks

Is the expansion designed as post game content or should I plan to start fresh?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They said they're adding like 40 new maps, and I'm pretty sure the changes are not exclusively post game content. A new game will almost certainly be required.

Tenks

Good to hear. I beat the game first time around but have wanted to play again so this will be a good excuse. Even though I'll be my typical self and wait for it to go on sale.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I freaking LOVE Xcom, but the amount of crazy bugs I ran into on my game made me reluctant to attempt an ironman/classic run. Have they patched up some of the more stupid bugs, like teleporting sectopods?

Vaclav

Teleporting was fixed on PC I believe - still exists on console though.

More XCOM is always good and Enemy Unknown was the best one in a long time

Not that it's saying a lot since TFTD and the original are still the best

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
If you didn't play EU on ironman you should create a custom random soldier name file with your friends / guild members / family. This way when your soldiers die you know them and you can tell your family all the great stories of their heroics and foolish actions. You get a lot more play time for your money if you can crank up the difficulty and throw on ironman for your first play through.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Teleporting was fixed on PC I believe - still exists on console though.
If that's the case I want to know where this patch is.

Best shit ever, noise on the air points you in one direction. Two turns of walking later, NOPE completely opposite direction, walk back that way, oop they moved again.

Vaclav

Best shit ever, noise on the air points you in one direction. Two turns of walking later, NOPE completely opposite direction, walk back that way, oop they moved again.
Dunno, I remember them mentioning it on the 2K forums for the game as "being fixed soon" when I was finishing up on PC with it a long while ago - but I know for a fact it was never fixed on PS3 since I saw it occur running through it the past month. Maybe it was a plan that never came to light, or someone made a mod - never saw it first hand, was still happening on PC when I stopped playing it on my PC.

Tenks

Probably because patching is a pain in the ass for consoles and not a pain in the ass at all on PC

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Wont buy on day one just to see how much depth there is in this expansion. That was my main gripe with the original, once you beat the game replayability was drasticaly reduced whereas past xcom games beating the game wasnt even my focux cause the game was so damn fun
biggrin.png

Calroon_sl

shitlord
Instant pre-order for me as well. I've got like 220 hours played in XCOM.

About the maps: I wouldn't get too excited about them saying "40 or so new maps".
They also said it would have 100+ maps on launch and we all know how that turned out (yay for map start-position rotations).

Denaut

Trump's Staff

I am pretty sure that is just the groups of aliens patrolling, not the teleport bug. Although I never saw the teleport issue, my understanding is it had to do with aliens teleporting into or behind your troops on-screen.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I asked on some other forums and word is they changed the mechanics a bit for the EW expansion and are fixing some pretty bad bugs like teleporting and the flanking bug.

Although I never saw the teleport issue, my understanding is it had to do with aliens teleporting into or behind your troops on-screen.
I once had a sectopod and two drones teleport right into dead center of my party and start attacking at the end of my turn. That's why I have refused to play ironman mode so far.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Instant pre-order for me as well. I've got like 220 hours played in XCOM.

About the maps: I wouldn't get too excited about them saying "40 or so new maps".
They also said it would have 100+ maps on launch and we all know how that turned out (yay for map start-position rotations).
They probably did have that many, it is just that many of the variations were so minor they felt like the same map. Off the top of my head I can think of ~15 different map types, and 7 or 8 variations of each sounds reasonable.

I think the problem is that the maps still repeated early on, and the early maps are what you see most if you play iron man like me
biggrin.png
Also, the most memorable ones had very little variation (like the gas station map), leading to a lot of confirmation bias. But yea, more maps are always welcome.

Here is a video of one of the new mission/enemy types: