Yakuza series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
Yakuza 0 launches 1/24/17

Its a "prequel" to the Yakuza series, and from what everyone is saying you can play it just fine without getting lost in the story or anything like that if you have never played any other yakuza games.

Yakuza Kiwami (translation: Yakuza extreme) is coming summer 2017 to PS4, and my understanding is that its a full remaster of Yakuza 1, with even re-recorded audio by the cast
Yakuza Kiwami: An Extreme Remake on Your PS4

Yakuza ?-5 is out on PS3, Yakuza 6 is coming out this year or next as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Yakuza 0 is getting extremely STRONG reviews, its an open world game with a very JRPG feel

Polygon 8/10

COGconnected 95/100

wccftech 9.4/10

Jimquisition - 9.5/10
Yakuza 0 Review – Majimagnificent – The Jimquisition

Playstation Universe 9.5
Yakuza 0 Review - PS4

Destructoid 9/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-y...0-412494.phtml

We Got This Covered 9/10
Yakuza 0 Review

IGN Italia 9.0
http://it.ign.com/yakuza-0-ps4/12072...-la-recensione

Digitally Downloaded 5/5
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2...station-4.html

Game Informer 9.3
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ya...b-stopper.aspx

I have it on pre order and can't wait to play! Never touched a Yakuza game before

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Ars Technica : Approved
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017...kuza-0-review/

Ars said:
The Good
An absurd world with equally bonkers characters.
New combat styles shake things up.
Wonderful presentation of a melodramatic crime drama.

The Bad
The main campaign is slightly tame for a Yakuza.

The Ugly
Women are relegated to roles that involve being killed, kidnapped, or ogled in some mini-games.

As far as I'm concerned thats all Good

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Damn I wish these games would come out on PC. I played the demo of one of them (part 3, I think) on PS3 years ago and loved it. As someone who has spent a few years in Japan, it felt like I was visiting again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn Beseria comes out the same day too. And I'm on the road until the weekend. Guess I'll be coming back to Yakuza, but seems to be a good one to add to the list.

joz123

Potato del Grande
People really care about reviews from that dude? I have a weird thing where I buy or rent a game based on if it looks good to me, not if a guy who gets paid to review games thinks it is good.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
he pretty much is 100% in step with my gaming tastes so yeah, if he thinks a game sucks i'd probably skip it

i also find his little costume skits hilarious

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
My copy from amazon arrived today, its pretty cool for normal price got a metal business card holder with a few yakuza cards inside. Quick install, a tiny like 1 megabyte patch

one funky thing, the dude delivering it was just a guy in a regular car with even the uber thing on his front. I guess amazon is now delivering stuff with contracted people, kind of cool makes for faster deliveries but man thats just so weird.

gonna play a few hours tonight even though i'm 85% of the way towards the dishonored 2 platinum

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My copy from amazon arrived today, its pretty cool for normal price got a metal business card holder with a few yakuza cards inside. Quick install, a tiny like 1 megabyte patch

one funky thing, the dude delivering it was just a guy in a regular car with even the uber thing on his front. I guess amazon is now delivering stuff with contracted people, kind of cool makes for faster deliveries but man thats just so weird.

gonna play a few hours tonight even though i'm 85% of the way towards the dishonored 2 platinum

Seems interesting: Amazon Flex: Be Your Own Boss. Great Earnings. Flexible Hours.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't planning on buying this, especially with all the other stuff coming out soon that I've already preordered (Nioh, Horizon, NieR, P5, etc.) but I decided I should support it since Sega actually deigned to bring this Yakuza over untouched. The PS3 games were all censored or had stuff removed because they thought Westerners wouldn't 'get' it, apparently not realizing that the people who'd be interested in a Yakuza game in the first place probably aren't the ones they need to worry about thinking the game is 'too Japanese' or whatever. Guess they finally got the message.

So far it's pretty good, though I recommend plowing through Ch.1 as fast as you can just to get past all the exposition. It doesn't take too long after that for the game to open up and let you do what you want. The combat system seems better to me than Y1-4, probably in large part because it's running at 60fps, but unfortunately it looks like the PS3 port that it is. It runs native 1080p, but aside from the characters you can tell that the textures were designed for a game that was originally upscaled to 720p.

spronk

FPS noob
definitely not what I was expecting, didn't get to play too much yesterday but the first hour is just pretty much ALL cut scenes which is weird. Still pretty cool so far, its got a really weird quirky humor/serious transition cutting back and forth which is odd, but its set in late 80s Japan and that is such an amazing time to revisit. No cell phones, I GOT A MOTHERFUCKING PAGER like an og crime boss. Also has a weird Phantasy Star/etc way of presenting some dialog, and even some of the menus and stuff feel very... ancient games-ish. Enjoying it so far though.

I feel like if I play enough of this game i might just understand japanese people more, so far I have come to understand that they really fucking love karaoke and a gun is probably rarer than a fat girl in japan

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
People really care about reviews from that dude? I have a weird thing where I buy or rent a game based on if it looks good to me, not if a guy who gets paid to review games thinks it is good.
well, the video has 750k views, so im going to say yes. WHat i like about joe is he explains exactly why something is good or bad. His views are pretty damned honest and you cant really do better as far as video game reviewers go.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I like the game, probably over half way through. Some side quests are really fun.

My only complaint is after Chapter 4 on Kiryu men in black all stun lock the fuck out of you, which can get pretty frustrating.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Depends on what their complaints are. If they're stupid/douchey issues then I ignore them.

But there have definitely been some bad ass

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just picked this up via gamefly. Pretty fun so far - great story and acting so far as well. Does this open up a little later as far as open world? Or is it fairly linear on what you can do in the world by going from point A to B?

I am about 2 hours in.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just picked this up via gamefly. Pretty fun so far - great story and acting so far as well. Does this open up a little later as far as open world? Or is it fairly linear on what you can do in the world by going from point A to B?

I am about 2 hours in.

It opens up. It isn't like GTA IV or anything that big, but the city is large with like 5-6 distinct burroughs. And side quests, side games, etc all expand. I need to finish this weekend to prep for Yakuza 1.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
The game is absolutely massive, I'm only up to like chapter 8 and it feels like I've sunk in 40+ hours. While I wouldn't really call it open world, the map for each character is pretty large and you are free to do whatever you want 90% of the time. I've chased a LOT of side stories though and got 100% of the business stuff done during chapter 6, which I don't think you "need" to do.

It is totally weird how the main story is SUPER dark and grim and the side stories are all fucking weird and shit

• 1Like