Yakuza series

spronk

FPS noob
Looks like Yakuza 2 is getting remastered too, a asian version of it leaked on the asian PSN store with a Dec 7th release date. Pretty cool, hope they remaster all of em before Yakuza 6 comes out

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm not sure which one I played or if it's Shenmue I'm thinking off, but played during the PS2 era and ended up getting lost within the first few minutes of the game as the quest journal was shit and the names of locations where I was supposed to meet people all ran together.

I've always wanted to get back into the games as they seem fantastic watching lets plays, but I keep thinking of that experience. For someone that's not clutching a waifu pillow at night, are the ps3/4 versions of the series worth going for? Getting ready to move and considering getting a ps4 for myself as a house warming present (never purchased a ps3/4 or xbone) and thinking of giving the Naughty Dog games a run as well as a few others (like Yakuza).

spronk

FPS noob
i think they're great but i think the greatest PS4 games are better, so I'd play those first and then get around to this

Bloodborne
Last of Us
Uncharted Collection (1-3) + 4 + 4 DLC
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Until Dawn
(maybe?) Nioh

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished Yakuza 0 last night while sipping a nice glass of Yamazaki whiskey, really great story and progression and side stuff in the game. Didn't get even close to a platinum though, you have to do all the side story stuff including lots of the karaoke/dance/gambling stuff and I didn't really feel like doing any of that.

I found getting money super easy, just get a few slime guns (later on find a zap gun in treasure hunter or 1m wonder machines) and just shoot the big guy who wanders around town, if you equip the pink spyglass item you can see him on the map anytime. After 8-9 defeats the guy always drops 1b+ yen, and its no big deal to lose to him since he "banks" all your money and adds his own always.

Just received the Yakuza 1 remaster (Yakuza Kiwami) but probably gonna wait until after UC4 DLC and Destiny 2 to get around to it.

Would highly, highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story, japan, or fun combat mechanics.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Newcomer to the series and picked up Yakuza 0 the other day. Only a little bit into Chapter 2 but it's winning me over quickly.
As good as the main story is and how well it's done played straight-laced serious-business, I think I'm enjoying the bonkers side activities more now the district has opened up.

I've just beaten up 3 people to get a random kid on the street's stolen video game back, one of which was his dad who pulled a gun and fucking shot me during the fight but it's cool since his boy thinks he's a hero and I covered for him and he has now learnt an important lesson about family.

This kinda shit along with ridiculous karaoke scenes and having dance battles at the club are giving me more laughs than I've had in a game for a while.

I didn't really know what I was in for but glad I've given it a go, feels like a good place to jump in.
Also good to know I've got more of the same ahead of me to enjoy with the Kiwami releases.

spronk

FPS noob
I finished Yakuza Kiwami (Yakuza 1) recently, its pretty good but I thought Yakuza 0 was better. Yakuza 6, all new, releases in like 17 days (Apr 17th) although it was out in Japan almost 2 years ago (!). Yakuza 2 (Kiwami) is being released in Aug in the West.

Definitely fun games, I think the only one you absolutely SHOULD play is Yakuza 0 since it seems to have the most quality of life stuff in it and its a really fun story, after that it feels like you can just mix and match however you want and i doubt you'll lose much of the story. Its pretty simple, mostly self contained, and generally pretty insane although not quite at the Metal Gear Solid level of insanity.

The only real bummer is that getting plat trophies in these games is insanely harder, like it took me ~25 hours to finish Yakuza 1 but I'd have to sink 50+ hours more into the platinum and master a bunch of weird japanese games and stuff and it just doesn't seem worth it, same with Yakuza 0 and probably 6.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It got good reviews, but sounds like one step forward, two steps back compared to 0 and (especially) 5. Got it coming from Gamefly so should be able to see for myself tomorrow.

I really hope they port 5 to ps4 rather than do the Kiwami thing for 3 and 4 first. Barely anyone in the West got to play 5 since it only came here long after the ps3 was dead and digital only to boot. You can play it on ps now but the latency is a big problem for a game like Yakuza.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I only played 5 cause it was free on PS+. The hunting minigame stuff was shit but I did like the locales more than the others.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Just finished Yakuza 0 last night while sipping a nice glass of Yamazaki whiskey, really great story and progression and side stuff in the game. Didn't get even close to a platinum though, you have to do all the side story stuff including lots of the karaoke/dance/gambling stuff and I didn't really feel like doing any of that.

I found getting money super easy, just get a few slime guns (later on find a zap gun in treasure hunter or 1m wonder machines) and just shoot the big guy who wanders around town, if you equip the pink spyglass item you can see him on the map anytime. After 8-9 defeats the guy always drops 1b+ yen, and its no big deal to lose to him since he "banks" all your money and adds his own always.

Just received the Yakuza 1 remaster (Yakuza Kiwami) but probably gonna wait until after UC4 DLC and Destiny 2 to get around to it.

Would highly, highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story, japan, or fun combat mechanics.

Stumbled across a video of Yakuza 0 randomly after not having ever watched anything regarding the series. It looks really fucking fun. Man, I just got 3 new PS4 games, too. If that goes on sale, I'm all over it, especially given your review

Szlia

Bought 5 and 6 recently. I am 13 hours into 5, but, as my philosophy in these games is "do everything you can before advancing the main story line", I am at Part 1, Chapter 2!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Finished Yakuza 6 today including the platinum trophy, only plat in the yakuza series I have - its an extra ~20-30 hours and a lot more grinding (baseball, clan wars) than i thought but not horriblely bad. One tip if you want the trophy, you can play the game in normal/easy, save before the final boss, and either just change it to legend difficult and get that trophy or finish the game, reload, change difficulty, and just do the last boss. No need to play the game twice.

Overall I'd rank it as Yakuza 0 > Yakuza 1 > Yakuza 6, I thought 6 was a little short, the combat was the worst of the series and just way too oversimplified and wonky and weird. The story was good at the end but it got just too goofy/weird too many times and none of the characters really were as good as the ones from 0 and 1 (and I assume 2-5). I didn't have any problems though playing and not playing 2-5, I think they set 6 as fairly standalone without a lot of past ties. Kamarocho was also the weakest setting in the series, they cut off like 1/3'd of the city as "under construction" and you never got to go into any of those areas which sucks. You did get a whole nother city which was big and cool but still, I wanted the bits of Tokyo that got cut out.

• 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played 0 and Kiwami back to back, which was a mistake. 0 was a goddamn riot and one of the most pleasant gaming surprises ever, whereas Kiwami was good but it did indeed feel like the PS2 game it was, and by the second half I wasn't paying attention to the story, which I already regret. I hear Kiwami 2 is way, way better, though. Bought 6, but I'm gonna try my damnest to hold off and play them in order.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Got Yakuza 0 earlier this week. First Yakuza game I've played and so far its great. I love the blend between the over-the-top absurdity and seriousness.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
crazy, yakuza starting to get on steam. Yakuza 0 & 1 Kiwami coming soon

Last edited:

Szlia

While Fist of the North Star is packed full of nostalgia (somehow this was shown on french TV during the '80s), what makes the Yakuza serie for me is its strong connection with reality. While often over the top or just silly, these games are still packed full of stories of everyday people struggling. This almost documentary / solciological study feel will probably be harder to find in a game set in a fictional post apocalyptic world.

PS: 80ish hours in Yakuza 5 and I am finally seeing the end of it!

• 1Like