Yellowstone

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Wife and I are looking to do a Yellowstone trip in the first week of July. Naturally, not a single campground is available in the park that week (surprise!). I'm looking for some good camping suggestions in the area around there that is close enough where we can just drive into the park each day for hikes.

Tent camping is the idea (no hotels/lodges/whatever) and we want to avoid having to drive 30+ minutes to get to the park, if that is possible.

We'd probably pack up the camp site each day when we left due to theft and bears and shit.

We'll be driving in from the northern Midwest.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wife and I are looking to do a Yellowstone trip in the first week of July. Naturally, not a single campground is available in the park that week (surprise!). I'm looking for some good camping suggestions in the area around there that is close enough where we can just drive into the park each day for hikes.

Tent camping is the idea (no hotels/lodges/whatever) and we want to avoid having to drive 30+ minutes to get to the park, if that is possible.

We'd probably pack up the camp site each day when we left due to theft and bears and shit.

We'll be driving in from the northern Midwest.

Look up camping in the Lake Hebgen area. Absolutely gorgeous area and close, but not as popular as the park itself. All that stuff anywhere near YS fills up fast, so I would move quick.

Alternatively, you can camp in at Jenny Lake in Grand Tetons. Also close and (if you ask me) even more beautiful than YS. There are camp grounds at Jenny that are first come first serve. Many times, if you get there Mon through Thurs you can snag a spot. Alternatively, you can hike in and there are hundreds of spots where you can just camp where you want.

If you are really desperate (and it might come down to this), you can hit up the area to the east of YS. There is a KOA in Dubois, WY that is really nice, but it's kind of far. You could leave your stuff there though, and hit up GT and YS easy. Would be a last resort type of thing due to the distance.

While you are there, look for this: Fenn treasure - Wikipedia

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure where you are coming from but I was always able to find a camping spot/hotel in Gardner, MT.

West Yellowstone is another option but typically more crowded and popular.

If you head to the NE or SE there is almost never anyone around Cody, WY even better, Cooke City. Dunoir is also another option.

Not sure what you mean by no spot available though. I've been to Yellowstone year round, even summer peak season, and always found at least one of the lodges or whatever had a spot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you're staying at Cooke City, it's worth the time to take a drive over the pass to Red Lodge. It's as good as anything you will see in the park.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Go first week of June and you can bang my wife bro

my wife will be in London then to help plan her sister's wedding, let's tag team it! high five

Not sure where you are coming from but I was always able to find a camping spot/hotel in Gardner, MT.

West Yellowstone is another option but typically more crowded and popular.

If you head to the NE or SE there is almost never anyone around Cody, WY even better, Cooke City. Dunoir is also another option.

Not sure what you mean by no spot available though. I've been to Yellowstone year round, even summer peak season, and always found at least one of the lodges or whatever had a spot.

the Yellowstone website had no availabilities on the calendar for the week. I found a USDA.gov site that lists all campgrounds in a 35 mile radius of Yellowstone, though. Gonna check those out and all the suggestions posted in here.

thanks bros

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Look up camping in the Lake Hebgen area. Absolutely gorgeous area and close, but not as popular as the park itself. All that stuff anywhere near YS fills up fast, so I would move quick.

Alternatively, you can camp in at Jenny Lake in Grand Tetons. Also close and (if you ask me) even more beautiful than YS. There are camp grounds at Jenny that are first come first serve. Many times, if you get there Mon through Thurs you can snag a spot. Alternatively, you can hike in and there are hundreds of spots where you can just camp where you want.

If you are really desperate (and it might come down to this), you can hit up the area to the east of YS. There is a KOA in Dubois, WY that is really nice, but it's kind of far. You could leave your stuff there though, and hit up GT and YS easy. Would be a last resort type of thing due to the distance.

While you are there, look for this: Fenn treasure - Wikipedia

Fenn treasure has been found a few days ago.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I guess. He won't say who found it or where it was hidden. The first I can understand (kind of) but the second makes no sense if the treasure was real.

true

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's always possible there was no hidden treasure and it was one of those "but the real treasure is getting outdoors and exploring the wilderness" things. Then 4+ people died trying to find the "treasure" and he realized it wouldn't go over so well if people found out that there was no actual treasure.