Your 5 best TV shows of 2018?

spronk

FPS noob
Year is almost over, 2018 felt like the weakest year of TV to me in a while and in a bit of a downward slope. I only had like 2-3 new (first season) tv shows, and most of the new shows don't really interest me in any way. Its been said TV is on the precipice of experiencing some sort of crash just because there are too many outlets (streaming, cable, network, apps, etc) and we have seen a few weird streaming services finally shut down like Go90, FilmStruck, etc - stuff nobody ever heard of to be fair.

I'm just curious what you guys think are your top 5, and also feel free to list any shows you WANT to watch and have heard are awesome but just haven't gotten to, to see if anyone else places them in their top 5.

Anyways here are my five top shows of 2018, only criteria is that it must have aired at least one episode in 2018 new in the USA:

1. The Expanse. The best sci fi show hands down, every season builds to greater and greater heights.
2. The Good Place. Amazing comedy show in the pedigree of 30 Rock, The Office, Parks & Rec, etc.
3. Better Call Saul. I think Breaking Bad is still much better and this was a weaker season but still a good show and actors.
4. The Americans. I didn't love this show as much as everyone else but season 6 was a finale to the show and pretty good write off for the 3 main leads.
5. Counterpart. season 1 aired early 2018, I don't think its a "great" show and its up its own ass a little too much but the acting is fantastic and its still interesting.
6. Dynasties on BBC. David Attenboroughs latest, just snuck this in cuz every one of his Planet Earth / Blue Planet shows is a MUST WATCH in 4k/HDR

Honorable mentions to Lucifer, F is for Family, Bob's Burgers, Altered Carbon (starts great ends weak), Brooklyn 99.

Stuff I haven't watched yet but want to in the next few months:

1. Barry. Heard its fantastic
2. Succession. Looked like the Kardassians, the drama but I've heard its not what it looks like
3. Narcos (I watched like 4 episodes) / Narcos Mexico. Loved it, just was very heavy/had to concentrate a lot to follow.
4. Homecoming (Amazon). I hate julia roberts so not something I want to really watch but everyone says its great and I like Esmail (Mr Robot) who created this show.
5. Killing Eve. Meh, feels too "women can be powerful and strong too!" but everyone says its amazing
6. Patriot aka Sad Spies, heard its hilarious and awesome
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Glow, The Deuce, Big Mouth, Kidding, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Maniac, Bodyguard, Get Shorty, Terror

DIShonorable mentions

1. Westworld. Fuck season 2, it sucked dick
2. Its Always Sunny. One great episode, rest of the season was bad to REALLY bad.

Honestly the only two shows I LOVED were The Expanse and The Good Place, the rest were all good but I think only those two shows stood out as above and beyond ala Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, BSG (early), Star Trek TNG/DS9, Black Sails, etc in the pantheon of "forever good TV". I definitely felt a drop in quality in TV this year.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Succession is overly wrought mellow drama that is all subtext as text and bereft of any comedy despite the dark shadows like goofy music.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Outside of anime I think The Expanse is the only show I keep up with. Such a fantastic production and I must say, having Jeff Bezos as a fan of your work really came in handy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Barry was great.

Daredevil counts as TV? If so then it was good.

Better Call Saul was very good.

Ray Donovan is on right now and it's decent-ish but that is probably because last season was such horrendous garbage that this season seems like a masterpiece.

GoT was mediocre trash. Westworld was fucking aids.

If we are counting cartoon shit, Castlevenia on Netflix is really good.

Oh and Jean Claude Van Johnson was really fucking great. (was that this year?)

There wasn't anything else worth giving 5 seconds to.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Expanse
Better Call Saul
Homecoming
Daredevil Season 3
Ash vs Evil Dead

Outside top 5 but still very good

Killing Eve
Last Kingdom
The Terror
Barry
Castle Rock
Cobra Kai

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cobra Kai was pretty good if u liked Jean Claude van johnson, barry, bojack horseman, lucifer, unbreakable kimmy schmitt. all are comedies with most being dark. Not to many shows out this year. Lacking shows like veep, silicon valley and some decent serious shows

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Jean Claude Van Damme got cancelled sadly after just 1 season
Game of Thrones was 2017, no new episode this year finale season next year

I've also heard Peaky Blinders is really good but I don't think a new episode aired in 2018. Black Mirror as well, but it dropped everything x-mas 2017 and I think it will drop next season Dec 30th 2018

Conan (the TV series, gritty book-based) getting a greenlight and then getting cancelled this year was a bummer. On the plus side 2019 might be super amazing with Lord of the Rings, Snow crash, Star Trek Picard, Ringworld, Foundation, Hyperion, Deadwood, and Y The Last Man in various stages of production.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I was really excited when Conan was anounced. It getting cancelled blows.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Not in any particular order, but it was hard to really think of 5 big stand outs this year so I just listed a few.

Daredevil S3
The Expanse
Disenchantment - I was meh on this at first but it really grew on me.
Titans - mainly cuz it was way better than I expected.
The Last Kingdom

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I forgot Ozark. Ozark season 2 was good.

• 1Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Haunting of Hill House was this year, wasnt it ? Or are we excluding Netflix TV shows ?

Anyway, most the shows this year were mediocre or did not fit my interests.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
in no particular order

Ash vs. Evil Dead
Happy!
The Expanse
Barry
The Haunting of Hill House

i feel like there's a lot of potentially good TV that got pushed back to 2019. 2018 had some surprise highlights but overall was more meh than i expected.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Daredevil Season 3, wasn't a big fan of DD S1 and 2, but this season was just fucking awesome.
Ozark Season 2, they continued firing on all cylinders to make an equal if not better second season.
Godless, dunno why, but I really, really liked this series.
Lost in Space, gimme more episodes!
...couldn't think of a 5th to fit the list.

Honorables:
Pine Gap, sucked me in. Wasn't amazing, but was a good watch.
Altered Carbon, really wish this would have been better, but Dolby Vision and Atmos on top of intense visuals, with the blade runner vibe, almost couldn't fail, and yet...
South Park S22, bringing back some laughs after the massive disappointment of S21.
Dark, and The Rain, more Netflix that was just simply enjoyable. Well, Dark I needed to get through the 7th episode before it finally stuck.

Trash tier:
House of Cards Season 6, holy shit this was bad.
Glow Season 2, was really a one and done. Uniqueness of it couldn't survive more than one season.
Frontier Season 3, they fucked up a good thing here. Really enjoyed the first two seasons.
Westworld Season 2, seriously how'd they fuck this one up.
Star Trek Discovery, sucked a massive amount of dick.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here is my list based off shows I've watched, in no order :

Big Mouth
Barry
Sharp Objects
American Vandal
The End of the Fucking World

• 2Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dunno if it counts as 2018, since first episode was in November 2017, but I loved Future Man.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dunno if it counts as 2018, since first episode was in November 2017, but I loved Future Man.

Future Man was November 2017, I had to check when I made my first post or it would have changed my list for sure, haha :)

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
cheers is problematic because its all straight white people sorry you are now banned from public spaces

remember tho how hot kirstie allie used to be

ytaWKUC.jpg

• 1Solidarity