Your favorite [instrument] in a song.

Brad2770

A lot of songs are pretty badass as a whole, but sometimes one particular part catches you and the rest of the song grows on you because you listened to it for one particular part. I was curious if you guys had songs like this as well. Here are a few that I like because of one part:

Chorus- Live "Pillar of Davidson". Took awhile for this song to grow on me. I had this on cassette when I was younger and I woke up to the chorus in the middle of the night. I loved it, but fell back asleep pretty quick. Had to sit down and listen to the whole cassette to find it again because the beginning of the song doesnt sound anything like the chorus. (skip to 4:07 if you want to get to the point)

Drums- Florence and the Machine "Spectrum". Just badass drums. I have heard better, but I really enjoy these drums a lot. (skip to 0:52 where it starts)

Bass Guitar- Metallica "My Friend Misery". Bought a bass guitar when I was younger just to learn how to play this. Unfortunately I was not coordinated enough.

And the last one is just the over all build up of all the music in the whole song. Plus, it's my favorite all time band. Chevelle "An Evening with El Diablo".

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The saxophones in Savoy Truffle. Adding distortion to them was genius on George Harrison's part.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
A good Bass guitar is awesome in songs. Bands like Streetlight Manifesto, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Supervillians and Reel Big Fish put to use a wide variety of instruments (Sax, trumpet, trombone etc..) and most of the time I like em.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
One thing I always liked about Joy Division is they used a bass guitar a lot of the time to carry the melody.

Szlia

I vividly remember being instantly struck by Autechre's Arch Carrier, because they use a single instrument, playing single notes on a perfectly rigid tempo to do both the base line and the melody.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Harmonica

Not a big Aerosmith fan, but this is one of their most underrated songs. Great bluesy song.

Good harmonica in the into(0:27), and again at 3:12

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
DRUMS. Yeah the drummer might be a dispensable part of the group, since usually its the guitar and vocals which are in the forefront. But if its one of the talented ones it makes any song come alive. I've always been fascinated by the beat ant it was always something that stood out for me in any song. And of course I play the drums as well so there is that.

But you take a guy like Lombardo, Freese, Carey and focus on what they add to the music, and you will soon realise just how important a good beat is to the overall sound of the group and how their unique imagination can make the entire groups music sound unique.