Your most disappointing/worst game of 2013

Neki

Molten Core Raider
It's that time were we review the year and state which game had your balls tingling before release but ultimately sucked ass

I didn't play many games this year but I was extremely excited for a couple but didn't end up buying because they turned out to be pieces of shit were:

250px-SimCity_2013_Limited_Edition_cover.png
256px-AliensColonialMarinesBox.png

If I had to choose between the two, I would probably put Aliens slightly in front as I am a massive Aliens fan and was so hyped up for this game which turned out to be a complete piece of shit.

Motherfuckers

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I can't recall a game I've found more disappointing than Ni No Kuni.

The hype surrounding this and then actually playing it... The combat sucked, the sidequests idea sucked, the super slow hand holding pace sucked, the popup spell menu that you can only use when instructed sucked, the respawning enemies sucked and some more other shit.

I don't get the hype of the game after actually playing it

Sterling

El Presidente
It's that time were we review the year and state which game had your balls tingling before release but ultimately sucked ass

I didn't play many games this year but I was extremely excited for a couple but didn't end up buying because they turned out to be pieces of shit were:

250px-SimCity_2013_Limited_Edition_cover.png
256px-AliensColonialMarinesBox.png

If I had to choose between the two, I would probably put Aliens slightly in front as I am a massive Aliens fan and was so hyped up for this game which turned out to be a complete piece of shit.

Motherfuckers
That has to be the top 2 on my list as well.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Prepared to be flamed into oblivion, but I gotta say GTAV for most disappointing. I bought it because I wanted to know what playing a $200 million (I think) game was like. The quality of the world is pretty much without parallel; the characters are great; the sheer amount of variety in the missions is unbelievable, and they're all (barring the ones with a fucking helicopter) are suuuper fun; the graphics, while unimpressive by 2013 PC standards, are actually quite impressive for 7 year old hardware.

But the gameplay between missions hasn't really evolved since GTA III, and I disliked GTA III for the same reason -- driving around everywhere, all the time, regardless of the intensity and absurdity of your vigilantism, is boring. Getting chased by the cops for the most trifling offenses (hell, sometimes I don't have any idea why the cops are chasing me) is boring. Driving to some remote location and waiting for 2 minutes in order for the cops to forget about me is boring. Many of the side missions are boring. The hobbies are boring. Chop is boring.

GTA V is an incredible game, but it's just a slog (for me) to play unless I'm on a story mission. It's pretty emblematic of current and future trends in gaming that I'm enjoying a diminutive nugget of highly refined gaming bliss like Terraria waaaaaaay the hell more than I enjoyed Rockstar's most recent product.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't want to say SimCity is the "worst" game but it was definitely disappointing and even more so because it would not take much to fix it in my eyes.

regret_sl

shitlord
I'd agree on SimCity except when I saw the shoebox sized maps they were giving us to build on I kind of knew that one was going to be shit. It was just a matter of how big a pile it would be.

I want to say Shadowrun Returns but only in terms of scope. I wish they'd had the funding for a bigger, less linear world. I understand why that didn't and never could happen and don't fault them for it but damn that game could have been so much more if they'd had a bigger budget.

This is a stretch for most disappointing, however. I've been happy with pretty much everything I've bought, even SimCity. Watching that trainwreck unfold was worth the heavily discounted price I paid for it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dead Space 3 is hands fucking down the most disappointing game of 2013. Hell, it's the most disappointing game of the last decade.

Anyone who said anything but Dead Space 3 has blocked it from their memory.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A toss up between Shadowrun returns and How to Survive. Shadowrun because it ended up being very short and very limited, and How to Survive because it ended up being a clumsily made cash grab instead of the zombie game using a Fallout Tactics-esque engine I hoped it would be.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I can't recall a game I've found more disappointing than Ni No Kuni.

The hype surrounding this and then actually playing it... The combat sucked, the sidequests idea sucked, the super slow hand holding pace sucked, the popup spell menu that you can only use when instructed sucked, the respawning enemies sucked and some more other shit.

I don't get the hype of the game after actually playing it
Sounds like you played it for about 4 hours, it's definitely slow and hand-holdey in the beginning. Not say it was one of the greatest JRPGs of all time but it was pretty good and the Ghibli style visuals and story are a lot of where the hype comes from.

Raign

Golden Squire
A toss up between Shadowrun returns and How to Survive. Shadowrun because it ended up being very short and very limited, and How to Survive because it ended up being a clumsily made cash grab instead of the zombie game using a Fallout Tactics-esque engine I hoped it would be.
Shadowrun vote here as well. The game itself was ok, but as noted it was very short and WAY WAY WAY too easy.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I very rarely buy stuff outside sales, but the games that I bought and wasn't exactly thrilled by:

Don't Starve - just didn't click, the crafting and UI was just obnoxious and unintuitive, when I died I felt cheated by the game and controls rather than genuinely humbled for being so careless ...

spronk

FPS noob
splinter cell blacklist, can't even run the pc version without it crashing every 10 minutes (no new patches in a month)
final fantasy xiv ARR, just another boring wow clone that didn't do a single thing well
(skipped simcity and aliens)
worst publisher: nintendo. fuck your wii u, stop making shitty consoles and release ps4/xbone/pc versions of all your games so I can play the same 5 titles you recycle every 5 years. but i'm done buying another box that just sits unused 99% of the time.

runner up: activision. you guys suck so bad now, even EA looks competent next to you.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1.Dead Space 3- Very disappointing, but from the standpoint of it marking the death of the series. They went so far away from the true nature of the Dead Space franchise, that it hardly even resembled the original.

2.StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm- A major disappointment. Wings of Liberty was lacking, but Blizzard has a track record of correcting their original releases with the first expansion. In my opinion, HotS only took the franchise further down the wrong road.

3.Total War: Rome II- A major and unexpected step backward for the series. It hit such highs with Shogun, that it was shocking that they shit the bed with Rome II.

Eonan

Doer of Things
SimCity, without a shadow of a doubt. I think we can go ahead and call it the biggest fail of the decade at this point.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You guys are aware Shadowrun has user generated content right? And it was $20 at release...

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No one said anything about the price, what difference does that make? Are you saying we should like games more if developers charge less for less content?

All the user generated content is mediocre. The SNES reboot might end up being good though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah SimCity for sure for one I paid the full 60.00(I blame Tuco!) and then all the obvious stuff.

Very close second though is Deadpool, completely uninspired combat ruined it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
SimCity, without a shadow of a doubt. I think we can go ahead and call it the biggest fail of the decade at this point.
You know what makes me mad about SimCity, Diablo, and other games that had such long awaited reboots is that they missed the mark so badly. They have great potential and have some good stuff but it is as if they wanted to limit how good they could be...

Think of SimCity with larger maps. That in itself corrects a lot of the issues I have with the game. I actually enjoy playing the game and then I get to the point and think about how I got cheated. Same with Diablo, I enjoy it and still play it but I get so frustrated that they just stopped.

Maybe SC2 at this point is the same way. I look at it and think it is beautiful and I really enjoy some aspect of it but with all these games they are at best demos of what they could be.