Your Own Photography

Subotai

Thief, Archer
I was shooting around 1/20 sec exposures, at ISO 800. With no tripod, I didn't risk longer exposures.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Drek pal from one photographer to another your pictures are pretty good but you really need to clear out the dead space. Almost everyone of your pictures has a lot of background space on the left/right/under the subject that just has no business being there and takes away from the great subjects.

Crop with your feet, and if you find it hard to break the bad habit then just crop post production.

Always better to get in tighter on the shots in the first place though.

Swagdaddy

Also going back and looking at more of your shots I would say you should practice more on uncontrolled live subjects, you have a few but mostly you're posting landscape shots and they just aren't that interesting even when you throw filters on them.

I don't know if you consider yourself a professional or just a hobbyist but if you have any aspirations of being a professional you are going to want a stacked portfolio of uncontrolled live action, those are the photos that show skill and experience.

Appreciate you sharing, and I'm sure you don't mind some of the constructive feedback or you wouldn't share in the first place. I'll probably post some from my portfolio as to not seem like a hypocrite or anything.

I do photography and videography for a living though if that helps legitimize some of my critiques.

If you have any questions or professional aspirations feel free to ask here in the thread as I rarely check my PMs due to constant infractions from the forum's nerd reich.

Drek_sl

shitlord
Will keep that in mind, photography is strictly for fun as I have my career job. This is an on the side thing.

Got any of your work you'd like to share?

9247975448_815edb7205_b.jpg

Swagdaddy

Yeah i'll put a few up when I got the time, this thread just seemed really dead for a long time so I didn't bother.

If it's just a hobby then w/e heh, but I think you will be surprised at the much better photos you will get if you practice some uncontrolled shit.

People just make the best, most expressive subjects for photos. Try to start at concerts or festivals and shit if you're kinda intimidated, alot of easy social interesting looking people at those kinda events.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some images from this weekend. Some from Jamez mnts, Santa Fe ski area and Turquoise trail.
.... bah I need to re-sample them smaller

rrr_img_39130.jpg
rrr_img_39131.jpg
rrr_img_39132.jpg
rrr_img_39133.jpg
rrr_img_39134.jpg
rrr_img_39135.jpg

original sizes are better seen at Flickr link below.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Did a hike up near Mount Baker today. Didn't get out their early enough to get any shots with the good light, plus the wildflowers aren't quite out yet, but should out in full force in a month or so. Only shot I'm really proud of is the butterfly. The rest are just to illustrate the views. On the third pic, all of the green "meadows" will turn into a sea of wildflowers.

rrr_img_39147.jpg

rrr_img_39148.jpg

rrr_img_39149.jpg

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some images from a trip to Jemez mnts, Gilman Tunnel (3:10 from yuma filmed here), Soda damn and Valles Caldara

rrr_img_39446.jpg

Gilman Tunnels and some strange looking rock
rrr_img_39447.jpg

rrr_img_39448.jpg

Soda Damn, hot springs in area bubble up and form these strange rocks, calcium buildup I guess, stinks and hard water. Makes some cool rounded rock formations.
rrr_img_39449.jpg

rrr_img_39450.jpg

rrr_img_39451.jpg

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some images of my first day out with new gear. Bought a Nikon D800E and the Nikon "Holy Trinity" - 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8. Also bought 85mm f/1.8 and 105mm f/2.8. Gotta spend bonus money on fun stuff, no matter what wife thinks.

The crop of the bee is a 1:1, all hand held, no VR. These were all with the 24-70mm which is kickass on a FX sensor - loving it so far.

rrr_img_41666.jpg
rrr_img_41667.jpg
rrr_img_41668.jpg
rrr_img_41669.jpg
rrr_img_41670.jpg

The night shots were because I was bored and went for a drive a while ago. The picture of the hospital has the constalation Sagatarius above it I notice, not bad from in the city of Rio Rancho/ABQ New Mexico

Drek_sl

shitlord
Some images of my first day out with new gear. Bought a Nikon D800E and the Nikon "Holy Trinity" - 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8. Also bought 85mm f/1.8 and 105mm f/2.8. Gotta spend bonus money on fun stuff, no matter what wife thinks.

The crop of the bee is a 1:1, all hand held, no VR. These were all with the 24-70mm which is kickass on a FX sensor - loving it so far.

The night shots were because I was bored and went for a drive a while ago. The picture of the hospital has the constalation Sagatarius above it I notice, not bad from in the city of Rio Rancho/ABQ New Mexico
I'm just missing the D800 and that ever so sexy 70-200 f2.8. I was going to pick up the D800E but decided to go with the regular model, from what I see there is barely any noticeable difference between the two. Thoughts?

Gonna pick up that lens in a few weeks and the body a bit later down the road as my D7000 is fairly new.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm just missing the D800 and that ever so sexy 70-200 f2.8. I was going to pick up the D800E but decided to go with the regular model, from what I see there is barely any noticeable difference between the two. Thoughts?

Gonna pick up that lens in a few weeks and the body a bit later down the road as my D7000 is fairly new.
Yeah, from what I read the D800 and D800E are pretty damn close. I'm wanting to do more landscape and the D800E is suppose to be real good for that. The 70-200mm VRII came today and the first image out of it is nice. Some moth at 200mm handheld from about 4 feet away.
rrr_img_41701.jpg

Drek_sl

shitlord
Yeah, from what I read the D800 and D800E are pretty damn close. I'm wanting to do more landscape and the D800E is suppose to be real good for that. The 70-200mm VRII came today and the first image out of it is nice. Some moth at 200mm handheld from about 4 feet away.
Buying this lens later this Sept! I can't wait! It's amazing! Please take lots of shots, post and give feedback on what you think (I know you'll be blown away by it).

I just sent you an invite on Flickr

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I've alwayswantedto get into photography, but life and stuff has kept getting in the way.
I finally took a step, and bought a Fujifilm X-M1 with the pancake lens. Haven't had time to get any good shots yet, but here is a few from my testrun. This is an awesome camera - complete amateur, out-of-camera JPEGs