Yurusarezaru Mono - Japanese remake of Unforgiven with Ken Watanabe.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5-503ia7nU

After years of adapting samurai films into westerns, the flow reverses.

The story is set in Hokkaido around 1880, the start of the Meiji period following the collapse of the Edo shogunate, at a time when the Japanese government is attempting to open the land (then named Ezo) populated by the indigenous Ainu people.

In the shogunate?s waning days, Jubei Kamata (Watanabe), a former swordsman of the shogunate, slaughters countless rebels under orders, earning a fearsome reputation in Kyoto. Following the government?s collapse, he takes part in a succession of bloody battles culminating in the decisive battle at Goryokaku, then vanishes without a trace, eluding the determined efforts of the new government to capture him.

More than a decade later, Jubei lives on in desolate isolation as a frugal rancher with an Ainu woman as his wife and their children. His wife ? who alone transformed a man whose only reason for existence was to kill ? dies, leaving him to guard over her grave with their children in sparse austerity.

However, the man who vowed never to take sword again finds himself driven by poverty to once again join battle as a bounty hunter. Together with a former comrade, he faces those convinced in their own justice. Another cycle of violence starts anew in another new era.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My initial reaction to the phrase "remake of Unforgiven" was to dry heave and then smash stuff. But after taking my Xanax and settling down I'm kind of digging the idea.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Watanabe can definitely pull off the Eastwood part and it will be interesting to see the character interpreted as a samurai but I'm a bit worried about who can fill Hackman's shoes to be the antagonist to Watanabe. I'm going to have to check out some more films by the director.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For my money, Unforgiven is the best western ever made... and that is saying a lot. For so many years, we have seen foreign films adapted into great domestic ones (The Departed), so it will be fun to see if they can pull it off or if something is lost in translation.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you hadn't added "Japanese remake of Unforgiven with Ken Watanabe" I would have deleted this thread as spam.

also it sounds like a good movie

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Watanabe is awesome but he's too young for it to be The Unforgiven. Just traveling in the rain nearly killed Clint. And its not like you go from ruthless murderer of anything that walks or crawls to a man truly reformed by his love for his wife and children to a man desperate enough to turn to murder for hire overnight without the whole middle part seeming silly.

He's just too young to be an old man filled with regrets. seewhatididthere

Sure, I'm picky. But The Unforgiven sits on a pretty fucking high pedestal for me.

That said, I hope its an awesome movie because I dig the concept.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Some quick wiki check shows that Watanabe is 53 and Eastwood was 61 when he made Unforgiven. I don't know if 8 years can impart the ability to emote deep regret but I think that's a stretch.

Awesome troll tho.