100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Top 20:
20: Cheers
19: Curb Your Enthusiasm
18: Star Trek
17: Twin Peaks
16: M*A*S*H
15: The West Wing
14: The Larry Sanders Show
13: Late Night With David Letterman
12: Game of Thrones
11: Freaks and Geeks
10: The Daily Show
09: All In The Family
08: Saturday Night Live
07: The Twilight Zone
06: The Simpsons
05: Seinfeld
04: Mad Men
03: Breaking Bad
02: The Wire
01: The Sopranos

Thoughts?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I agree with some of the ones i have watched. of course i have not even watched 4 of the top 5 shows. (seinfeld is the one i have watched)

i'd most likely not have letterman or the daily show at 13/10 respectively but have the tonite show with johnny carson in there @10. i'd probably have the carol burnett show @13 instead of letterman- but that is me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There definitely seems to be a bias towards modern shows. I don't know how you can have any talk shows listed above The Tonight show with Carson, unless they are taking the show as a whole into consideration and Leno dragged it back down.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
All in the Family should be top 3 easily. Simpsons and Seinfeld shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Why would you mix late night talk shows with the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos?

Go home, Rolling Stone. You're drunk.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree with some of the ones i have watched. of course i have not even watched 4 of the top 5 shows. (seinfeld is the one i have watched)

You haven't seen any of the top four shows? Do you even watch TV?

Fadaar

That guy
When they say Star Trek in the top 20 I really hope they mean TNG and not original series. Even though I preferred DS9 it's hard to argue against TNG being one of the biggest TV shows in history.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
you know, not really i do not watch much television. wife and i play wow instead of tv.

we do watch lucifer.

that is it for the "prime time" TV we watch. (i did watch Castle) last year i did watch forever and limitless.

kids watch cartoon network, and disneyxd so if they are up, tv most likely is on that or a movie.

since having kids, we really don't watch Tv (oldest is 15 now, youngest are 12)

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Definitely a more modern bias. Tonight Show with Johnny Carson should rank ahead of just about every other talk show ever. Shows like I Love Lucy and Brady Bunch had huge cultural significance. That being said, their top 10 are all solid shows, I would say the exception being The Daily Show, which was good, but not top 10 in my book. I personally preferred the Colbert Report, and neither I would put in the top 20 of all time.

joz123

Potato del Grande
It's Rolling Stone. Nobody should give a shit what they think. I hope the frat boys win the lawsuit and make Rolling Stone sell themselves off like Gawker had to. Also Married With Children not being in the top 20 is a travesty.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Daily Show, Letterman, and Larry Sanders don't really belong on the list. TDS/Letterman/Carson/etc had many great episodes but many, many, many boring or irrelevant episodes. Feels like Larry Sanders is on there just cuz the actor died this year. Freaks and Geeks was only 1 season, I don't think any 1 season show should be on greatest TV list.

While its not for everyone my list would include some sci fi shows like BSG (yeah the end sucked), DS9, Farscape, Babylon 5, and TNG and also put in Rome and maybe Black Sails, depending on the final (next) season. Lost is a controversial one, while I think season 1-3 were some of the greatest TV ever made, the final season could be argued to erase all that goodness.

I'd also put Planet Earth and maybe Chef's Table or Cooked, and Cosmos

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
SNL near the top is bullshit, 94% of that shows air time was pure garbage.

Kids in the Hall should have it's spot,

Speaking of which, that whole top 20 is US shows Fucking bias.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Guess I need to saddle up and watch the Wire and Sopranos at some point.

As has been said, I really don't get why they'd mix in talk shows with drama/comedy. Why the fuck don't you just throw in Sports Center and various sporting events while you're at it?