2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
VR still hasn't solved the transport sickness problem.

When you move in VR, your brain notices that your inner ear isn't reporting the movement "properly". Which makes you sick and prone to throwing up. Games manage to avoid that by having you stay in place, or put in a vehicle where your brain can assume that you're not really moving, so it's ok.

Until VR can manipulate your inner ear, you won't see a game where you move around, like a RPG.

Is this a problem if you're not doing full body stuff? In my mind, you'd be sitting with the VR goggles on and running around the world with an analog stick.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you want to keep people engaged in a game then you need weekly/monthly updates. So far only Fortnite has managed it. WoW had at least two times in it's history where it was a year between updates, they really can't manage their teams properly and are terrible at this.
Any new MMO needs to do these things or they won't compete with mobile games and things like Fortnite. I don't know why these games don't just have a team of interns working on crafting and old zone revamps and cranking out monthly content, since you can do those things without new art asssets.
Thing is, Asheron's Call 1 (released 1999) did it. Content/events every month. Including a poll "which starter city do you want us to destroy next month" (complete with people relogging after the patch and dying from falling damage into the crater). Arwic, oh Arwic...

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Most people want instant gratification in their gaming and if they dont get it they will moan and call the game shit. it's kind of difficult to do in a MMO as you need to keep the players enticed with the content. I mean there will always be min maxers but they are few and far between now.

It's just a different time with different players.

Plus there's the enormous costs associated with developing an MMO.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Is this a problem if you're not doing full body stuff? In my mind, you'd be sitting with the VR goggles on and running around the world with an analog stick.
Yes it is. The problem is a discrepancy between your eye and inner ear, not a problem of body movements. It's the same mechanic that causes transport sickness.

The current "solution" is teleport, or "point and click". You target to your destination, you warp there, and your brain doesn't think you were really moving, so there's no discrepancy. But that's the problem for a RPG: it's not realistic.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The key draws to playing an mmo are a social atmosphere and persistent world. This results in difficulty playing for short times or stepping away easily, and an ever growing barrier of entry for new or returning players. Wow addressed these with piles of easy wqs and instanced pugs + complete mudflation each content push, and is successful for it, but does miss a lot of people who like a social world community or long term character buildup. They will probably get a lot of return subs with classic wow for this reason, we will see if they stick around long or not.

In the meantime, mmos largely seem pretty weak on utilizing modders for content, browser or mobile use, or even consoles. The ones that do have flaws elsewhere. Meanwhile, the expected use is stuck really high: an rpg can be a raved about hit if you enjoy 100 hours playing it, while an mmorpg that only sees 100 hours played is probably a heavily criticized flop.

Mmos will do fine when one come alongs that doesn't try too much reinvention. A few gimmicks maybe, but largely that classic mmo feel including grinds. New graphics, web or mobile access, stuff to do for short play, and by some miracle able to balance the community draw with letting people log out when they have to. PokeMMOn or The Wire Online or World of Starcraft, who knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
MMOs are so fucking expensive to make the only viable option would be if it sells really well and has a lot of pull. For this you need an existing IP with lots of interested players (and ex-players) and rich lore background to explore.

There is only thing with lots of players that could be converted into paying customers--well, enjoy your new world map.

Yup, and even then, it probably couldn't be a traditional MMO. There would likely be an element of competition/PvP. If I couldn't play a champion as my main then I would be a lot less interested. I don't want to roll a random human/yordle/void/etc character and only interact with LoL champions sparingly.

I do foresee a new massive territory-control MMO game becoming the next big thing.

I have a 10-year old design doc of my dream MMO that is basically that. Create/develop your own settlement --> town --> cities. Capture land, control/conquer as much as you can handle.
The tech is getting closer and closer.

I know other games have done it to an extent, the closest being EVE. But really nothing new pushing the space.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
This results in difficulty plying for short times or stepping away easily, and an ever growing barrier of entry for new or returning players.
Funny that you mention that, because that is exactly one of the pain points of old era MMORPGs like EverQuest: you can't solo (except for a few classes) and have to look for a group when you login. If you only have an hour it could very well be that you didn't find a group for the evening and accomplished nothing.

WoW was heralded as the "casual MMO" at launch because a) it was possible to progress your character on your own, and b) use the Hearthstone to instantly go back if you needed to log out suddenly. The only things locked behind group/raid content was acquisition of medium to high end gear.

Cybsled

You have to be -really- careful with "I can fuck up shit you've been working on for a year" mechanics, though. Games like Shadowbane, or even as recently as Atlas, show that people can stomach bugs to a degree, but if they lose everything they've put lots of work into and feel like it was unfair, they are significantly more likely to quit and never come back.

Funny that you mention that, because that is exactly one of the pain points of old era MMORPGs like EverQuest: you can't solo (except for a few classes) and have to look for a group when you login. If you only have an hour it could very well be that you didn't find a group for the evening and accomplished nothing.

WoW was heralded as the "casual MMO" at launch because a) it was possible to progress your character on your own, and b) use the Hearthstone to instantly go back if you needed to log out suddenly. The only things locked behind group/raid content was acquisition of medium to high end gear.

Exactly. While lots of people loved that shit, it got old fast. I remember playing FFXI post-EQ1 and my friends had all outleveled me (there was severe XP penalties at the time for grouping with people more than a couple levels beyond you), so I was forced to pug. I would spend 30-60 minutes trying to find a group, finally find one, and it sucked and would take 15 minutes to kill a single crab that filled 1/2000th of your XP bar. I noped out of that game pretty quick once it got to the level range where soloing was no longer an option, because I didn't want to spend most of my freetime doing jackshit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Another trick WoW missed was elemental gear. They mostly removed that in the first expansion I think.

It's REALLY common in mobile RPGs to have characters and/or gear be linked to an element so you need to grind gear sets or characters more suited to each battle. It's a way to get people invested in farming new gear without powercreep.

Imagine if Cataclysm was the same item level as Wrath of the Lich King but you needed resist gear to go into each elemental plane. So you are farming potentially x4 as much gear but you'll still be going back to Icecrown because maybe your best in slot Trinket is still the one from there, and you aren't getting bored because there's so much variety?

This may sound like shit but the point is find ways to have all your content have a use.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Farming Maraudon, a level 48 dungeon, for poison resist gear for AQ, a tier 2.5 raid, was AIDs man.

When a new raid comes out I want to focus on just that raid, not some gear check to enter it.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would just like to see a world that follows a more D&D model which Everquest did very well. Why can’t someone just make something similar to that with better graphics and more fluid/responsive game play.

Because MMORPGs require an insane amount of PVE content, which is why everyone wants to make a big BR game these days. You don't need to design a single AI controlled mob. You can just toss an empty map at your players, and they themselves are the content that needs to be beaten.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This could very well be avoided by adding even more content, such as trade skills that actually require time pursuing them inside a city instead of just setting your character to make 30 mithril bracers and then you go and take a shit while your AFKharakter generates those sweet "skill" ups.

The whole reason behind EQ requiring you to go LFG and achieving nothing came exactly from the fact that the only way to advance in EQ was killing shit.

Cybsled

Farming Maraudon, a level 48 dungeon, for poison resist gear for AQ, a tier 2.5 raid, was AIDs man.

When a new raid comes out I want to focus on just that raid, not some gear check to enter it.

This. Farming seru bane or poison resist gear blows. It is an artificial way to extend content longevity by forcing people to grind situational items with little usage outside specific fights.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yup, and even then, it probably couldn't be a traditional MMO. There would likely be an element of competition/PvP. If I couldn't play a champion as my main then I would be a lot less interested. I don't want to roll a random human/yordle/void/etc character and only interact with LoL champions sparingly.

I do foresee a new massive territory-control MMO game becoming the next big thing.
Back when HALO - the original version on Mac, not the Xboxed bastard - was announced, I thought this would be a kick-ass control MMO for the online game. Your team can target any - procedurally generated - section adjacent to any section controlled by your faction, or defense which picks a random section of your faction under attack.

(if there's faction imbalance, you'd have an AI team fighting you)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I still think it was WoW that ruined it all. It basically made any post WoW MMO model, halt on the breaks and say, hey waith a minute, why not just make a WoW clone and rake in mad $$$$. Except we all know that this is not how shit works.

This copy/pasta also basically stifled any and all innovation from the gene. I mean, can you name even one innovation in a post WoW mmo?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

SWTOR started the whole companion/mission running stuff, which WoW and FFXIV adopted

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Most of the innovations occurred in a few other games, and WoW was quick to copy the interesting ones. Like the invasions from Rift.

The only truly attempt to be really innovative in MMO was the ill-fated, ill-executed Defiance. But the concept was impossible to do well within the production constraints of a classic MMO.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
This could very well be avoided by adding even more content, such as trade skills that actually require time pursuing them inside a city instead of just setting your character to make 30 mithril bracers and then you go and take a shit while your AFKharakter generates those sweet "skill" ups.

The whole reason behind EQ requiring you to go LFG and achieving nothing came exactly from the fact that the only way to advance in EQ was killing shit.
But that is the basic premise of Diku MUDs, and Brad just took that design and made it 3D for the Wolfenstein/Doom generation.

Sidegrade content like crafting has its own problems:
  • if it adds in any way to player power it will become mandatory at high end (remember when in TBC leatherworking was the shit because of the drums?)
  • if it is not, then there is no point to advance your character, because this won't help to catch up to other players--or even worse: your social circle that outleveled you (see other post)
  • Additionally, most MMOs have a hard time to balance crafting and its output against items from other sources
The underlying problem here that is hard to address, is that in the classic RPG design player power mainly derives from a single attribute called "level", with only one real way to raise it. Players more or less expect it to gauge their own power against that of other players. Additionally, the current meta of MMORPGs is "the game really starts at max level."

Sure there were attempts at skill based progressions, but they haven't really catched on because they are harder to make, maintain and balance. And players have been so conditioned by this one single, easy to process number in comparison against others that they have invented another attribute--just like it--for power representation at maximum level:

My GearScore brings all the DDs to the yard
And they're like, it's higher than yours
Damn right it's higher than yours
I could tank for you
But I have to charge

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still think it was WoW that ruined it all. It basically made any post WoW MMO model, halt on the breaks and say, hey waith a minute, why not just make a WoW clone and rake in mad $$$$. Except we all know that this is not how shit works.

This copy/pasta also basically stifled any and all innovation from the gene. I mean, can you name even one innovation in a post WoW mmo?
Vanguard - Blood mage, defensive and offensive targets

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user