2 years later... the almost sad state of MMOs in the new era

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
fucks grandma in the ass.
Kate Mckinnon Flirting GIF by Saturday Night Live

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
A modern MMO could use bitcoin as in-game currency. Bitcoin earned in the game could be spent elsewhere. The game costs cash to play so the owners balance monthly operating cost earnings against bitcoin trade value because on the business end the company would also be bitcoin traders. The in-game bitcoins would be digital IOUs as the company pays the investor players the bitcoin they borrow from their inputs plus monthly fee capital exchanges. Borrow-Spend-Repay-Repeat.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
A modern MMO could use bitcoin as in-game currency. Bitcoin earned in the game could be spent elsewhere. The game costs cash to play so the owners balance monthly operating cost earnings against bitcoin trade value because on the business end the company would also be bitcoin traders. The in-game bitcoins would be digital IOUs as the company pays the investor players the bitcoin they borrow from their inputs plus monthly fee capital exchanges. Borrow-Spend-Repay-Repeat.
Are familiar with the exponential inflation MMOs suffer from?? The developers would go bankrupt in a few months trying to supply enough bitcoins to meet the in-game demand. Or the monthly fee to play would go into triple digits very quickly

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Are familiar with the exponential inflation MMOs suffer from?? The developers would go bankrupt in a few months trying to supply enough bitcoins to meet the in-game demand. Or the monthly fee to play would go into triple digits very quickly
Nah, playing the game computes DungeonCoins that are used as the games currency. So that later players are boned and getting money is almost impossible due to a finite supply generated within the game engine.

This would lead to an interesting game economy. Most likely it would take the form of farmable items being currency rather than precious DungeonCoins. But you'd have some shit where the merchants all have a finite amount due to trading too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Nah, playing the game computes DungeonCoins that are used as the games currency. So that later players are boned and getting money is almost impossible due to a finite supply generated within the game engine.

This would lead to an interesting game economy. Most likely it would take the form of farmable items being currency rather than precious DungeonCoins. But you'd have some shit where the merchants all have a finite amount due to trading too.
So still a shitty design. Got it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Prisons. We could start a gofundme to have a lifer only TLP srver. Or see if p99 can start a prisoner's rights foundation. If it means rapists can play halfling female druids, I am down. If anyone knows some strings to pull in any penal system. Anyone here a warden?

It would make headlines, the warden can get kickbacks on the plat farming

money:
Screenshot_2021-02-20 Opinion Desperate for Distraction, We Chose Dragons.png

But we gotta figure out how to get on the server. I'm not sure I'm willing to kill a man just to be in FoH: Life on the Inside. No can do?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I don't think this will happen with Bitcoin, but I do see crypto being a big part of the gaming world soon. Player accounts attached to a crypto wallet will allow real ownership of in game assets and would create a marketplace for trade that has real value. If the game runs on its own blockchain, or a consortium blockchain this allows them to get a piece of the transactions while facilitating what would be today considered the "black market"

It is inevitable and NFT's will allow for some really cool stuff here. It is coming and I think it could be pretty awesome if done right

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sooo. Time for a new thread??
Thing is... nobody makes good videos of "new upcoming MMOs" anymore...

I mean, take the original video. Nearly all those "upcoming 2019/2020 PC MMOs" are still at the crowdfunding early access stage, or dead. Astellia launched, and shuttered a year later (at least in Korea, meaning it's kept alive as a microtransaction-laden hell by the usual MMO scanvenging distributors). The rest? DOA or still in their early access. Even New World is...

(but yes, if I can find a good video, this spring will see the new incarnation of this thread. If)

• 1Like

francisbaud

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Archeage Unchained, Black Deser
(since the previous thread has mostly died, here's a new one)

Caveat: this is not a MMO-specialized channel, so having Gamer Zakh excited about Pantheon or Crowfall will probably generate massive groans. But at least, I learned about a few new MMOs (all crowdfunded, of course).

Now, discuss the state of MMOs! MMGA!
From this video, Legend of Aria launched (with a small number of copies sold), World Adrift got cancelled, the 3 super-hero MMOs do not seem to progress that much, Camelot Unchained still has years of development to go, Chronicles of Elyria cancelled and Crowfall is about to launch.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Congrats, you invented a MMO that the IRS taxes you on

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users