2012 NFL Season

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think all the rookie QB's are doing well this year. Really makes me wonder if this class of rookie QB's will end up being similar to the Marino/Kelly etc class. I think the only one of the rookie QB's I don't like is Russell Wilson. I think he's overrated, that his defense is helping him win games FAR more than anything he's doing. Put him on a team with SHIT D and he'd be throwing int's left and right trying to come back too.
I dunno 2004 was a pretty damn good year for QB's especially if Rivers didnt crumble the last season or two but I think Norv is behind that and getting rid of solid receivers for shitty ones

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Seattle definitely held the offense back and leaned heavily on their run game and defense to start the year. However, over their last 5 wins, only one of them would you say that the defense won them the game. Two of them (Buffalo and Chicago) were 100% on Russell Wilson's shoulders and you can make the argument he had more to do with New York and Minnesota wins than the defense did. They started Wilson off slowly, but now they have taken the training wheels off Russell Wilson and the results have been impressive.

Also Wilson throws one of the, if notthebest deep ball in the league. Not amongst the other rookies, in all of the NFL. (And this is coming from a guy who wanted nothing more than for Wilson the be a flop).

edit* Just to add some fact to my assertions, Wilson has 8 "long" TD throws this year, second behind only Aaron Rodgers (and Rodgers has 121 more passing attempts than Wilson). Long TD pass being defined as the ball traveling further than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air.

Obscene_sl

shitlord
I think Russell Wilson is probably the most under-rated outta the rookie QBs. RG3 has been nothing but a hype machine since early in the year. From the offseason to pre and regular, dude does nothing but make the front page of the news. Luck too. They are great quarterbacks, but it seems with every completion or TD, every analyst wants to transcend them to GOD-PLAYER-OF-THE-DECADE! While Wilson does just as good, or better, as those two. A lot of people still seem skeptic, and unwilling to believe he has a future ahead of him

oh, and Tannehill.

Obscene_sl

shitlord
haha totally forgot about Weeden. Poor Weeden.

ps im pretty excited about the Seahawks hosting the 49ers this week. A lot of speculation will be put to bed, one way or another.

Sterling

El Presidente
Tannehill's biggest issue is that the dumbasses that run the Dolphins traded Marshall for some random ass picks and their receiving core is mediocre at best. Weeden has many issues, not the least of which is that he's actually older than Rodgers?!?!?!?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I shit on Wilson a few weeks ago. I said that basically the rest of his team was carrying him. Despite the fact that he's been playing a weak schedule lately, he's looked damn good. I would like to see him in a situation these last two weeks where he's playing from behind though. I know in the second half of the season he can play really well with a 40 point lead, but how is he when he's down one or two possessions late in the fourth quarter?

But yeah, this year is pretty disgusting with Luck, Griffin, and Wilson. Even if only 2 continue their upward trend, it'll end up being one of the strongest QB classes ever.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Sanchez needs to go even though he has guaranteed money coming in 2013. Same with Tebow. Jets need an actual QB. The whole MNF was a hilarious joke. That last snap deserves to be the final snap ever for Sanchez

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I would like to see him in a situation these last two weeks where he's playing from behind though. I know in the second half of the season he can play really well with a 40 point lead, but how is he when he's down one or two possessions late in the fourth quarter?

You mean like in Chicago when he basically executed 2 game winning drives? Once when leaving only 30 seconds on the clock then again in OT after the defense let the one guy they had to stop make a play?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is a difference between yards per attempt and the average yards the ball is traveling through the air per attempt.

These stats are out of date, I quoted them from an article written after week 7 and I am most certainly not saying to use these stats to judge these 2 players or any others as Quarterbacks and passers, but Griffin most certainly throws shorter passes than the league average and a lot of his yardage does come after the catch.

RG3 is "system QB" in the sense that the system is what makes him most successful but at the same time it is also RG3 that makes the system. There probably isn't another athlete in the world that could run the offense the way he has been running it because of his talent set.
Looks like the Rick Reilly article from earlier in the year. He has a super hard on for Luck. He does throw a higher percentage of shorter passes, but does a better job of leading receivers and the offense is designed to get a lot of YAC...a major reason we went after Garcon in free agency. Also this stat may be out of date, but it was being pointed out a week or two ago that on throws that DO travel more than 10 yards downfield the guy leading the league in completion percentage and yards per attempt on those throws was none other than RG3. Take what the defense gives you. Reilly and others love their QB's who chuck it up 45-50 times a game completed around 50% of their passes on the deep out/in routes. What can happen though is you need Mark Sanchez to throw up a horrendous game on MNF against the Titans in order to not be leading the league in turnovers for this season.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I shit on Wilson a few weeks ago. I said that basically the rest of his team was carrying him. Despite the fact that he's been playing a weak schedule lately, he's looked damn good. I would like to see him in a situation these last two weeks where he's playing from behind though. I know in the second half of the season he can play really well with a 40 point lead, but how is he when he's down one or two possessions late in the fourth quarter?

But yeah, this year is pretty disgusting with Luck, Griffin, and Wilson. Even if only 2 continue their upward trend, it'll end up being one of the strongest QB classes ever.
All 3 have been tremendous. Obviously only 14 games into their careers but so far they are making a case to be included among the best QB classes ever. I know Luck or RG3 would love to have the defense that Wilson is blessed with. Wilson and RG3 would probably like to have had Luck's easy schedule through the first 13 weeks. Luck would probably like to have the running game that Wilson and RG3 have had. Bottom line you could see all 3 guys lead their team to the playoffs, although I hope in Wilson's case it isn't based on the Fail Mary.

I think you cut Sanchez and Tebow, eat the guaranteed money, and move the fuck on forever. The accountability for that can rain down on the GM and whoever else was involved in extending him and bringing the Tebow Traveling Circus to town since both decisions have left the Jets QB situation an unmitigated dumpster fire.

I mean, does anyone see a way for Sanchez to ever start again for NYJ after all of this? Week 1 at Meadowlands Stadium and he comes out of the tunnel...welcome to 2013 boys, here are deafening boos! What they really need is stability at the position and stability with the team...no more weekly three ring circus every time Ryan stands in front of his press conference, etc.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been wanting the Seahawks to lose for all eternity after that interview. Fuck Golden Tate. Piece of shit.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you cut Sanchez and Tebow, eat the guaranteed money, and move the fuck on forever. The accountability for that can rain down on the GM and whoever else was involved in extending him and bringing the Tebow Traveling Circus to town since both decisions have left the Jets QB situation an unmitigated dumpster fire.
The Jets owner was the one who made them bring in Tebow. I think the reason Ryan refuses to play Tebow is because he does not want him on the team and probably knows he is going to be fired anyway.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I would fire Rex and the GM and bring in a whole new staff. Then you let them draft a QB and let Sanchez compete for a year. I'm not predicting it or anything but it's entirely possible Sanchez is salvageable. Look at Alex Smith with Harbaugh.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The Jets owner was the one who made them bring in Tebow. I think the reason Ryan refuses to play Tebow is because he does not want him on the team and probably knows he is going to be fired anyway.
Yeah, I think this is a case of the Jets' ownership getting too Jerry Jones with their team and overriding the people they pay to win games. Ryan likely knows he's gone after this season and could give a fuck less if Tebow plays or not.

However, that being said, Sanchez is arguably the worst starting QB in the league right now, so what does Ryan have to lose by benching him? The Jets can Bobby Bonilla the "guaranteed" money, so eating it shouldn't be a problem. They would be in a better position if they got rid of the pass entirely and just snapped to a tailback.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Jets can Bobby Bonilla the "guaranteed" money, so eating it shouldn't be a problem. They would be in a better position if they got rid of the pass entirely and just snapped to a tailback.
I am pretty sure the guaranteed money still counts against their salary cap next year.

I would fire Rex and the GM and bring in a whole new staff. Then you let them draft a QB and let Sanchez compete for a year. I'm not predicting it or anything but it's entirely possible Sanchez is salvageable. Look at Alex Smith with Harbaugh.
I think Sanchez's problem has been coaching. He was never a consistent player, but he almost took the Jets to a super bowl. If that AFC Championship game against the Steelers had been about 5 minutes longer then Sanchez would be a Super Bowl losing quarterback, something no QB for either Houston team has ever accomplished.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
The real crux of profession football is, you can win with a mediocre or below-average player at any position, except quarter back.