2013 NFL Offseason and Draft

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They only complete 4 passes to Austin with Vaccaro on him, all out routes (and he gets tackled immediately on those completions). The fastest WR in CFB and a soon to be 1st round pick couldn't get open over the middle field, slants, or seams against him. Ya, that isn't valuable at all in a safety during the spread era. Not being a homer at all about Vaccaro. He is a total shit head and horrible leader but the dude is damn good.
Texas played 4-5 in the box the entire game (their DC mentioned this postgame) specifically to stop Austin and Bailey which is why WVU ran all over them. When you completely sell out to stop 2 guys, you should hopefully do so. Austin vs Vaccaro 1 on 1 would be a huge mismatch in Austins favor. Austin torched Morris Claiborne from LSU the year earlier for like 10+ catches for close to 200 yards, and Vaccaro is not as fast as him. He seems like a good tackling safety though, and should be a solid SS in the NFL, especially in run support...but he is not Earl Thomas.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Akers has big shoes to fill but I think he'll do fine. kicking inside the majority of the time will help I'm sure.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Texas played 4-5 in the box the entire game (their DC mentioned this postgame) specifically to stop Austin and Bailey which is why WVU ran all over them. When you completely sell out to stop 2 guys, you should hopefully do so. Austin vs Vaccaro 1 on 1 would be a huge mismatch in Austins favor. Austin torched Morris Claiborne from LSU the year earlier for like 10+ catches for close to 200 yards, and Vaccaro is not as fast as him. He seems like a good tackling safety though, and should be a solid SS in the NFL, especially in run support...but he is not Earl Thomas.
He is definitely not Earl Thomas, but Earl Thomas is the best safety in the NFL so... ya. And dude, the film of every WVU offensive play is in my post. Go watch it. Texas played the vast majority of the game in Nickle and Dime packages with Vaccaro 1v1 with Austin. The only route he could get open on was the out route which Vaccaro was more or less just giving to him and then tackling him immediately. One of the few plays they took Vaccaro off Austin, he went 40 yards for a TD. Texas was typically using the safety as very deep zone help which made them largely useless in the game. It was an especially stupid use of the safeties because with the pressure Texas DEs were getting off the edge, WVU couldn't really go deep anyways.

Not sure what your point is about Claiborne. A safety with slot coverage ability should fair better against a player with Austin's skill set than a traditional outside cover corner. Agility matters more than straight line speed.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh bullshit did you even watch the game. Listen to Manny Diaz' postgame and he said, and I quote "We always had two guys on #1".

Vaccaro is a good in the box safety, but put him on an island with Austin and he would get embarrassed.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What do you guys think about Bacaari Rambo? He is a 3rd round guy say the scouts (I believe) but I like him as a guy who can play a lot of pro downs or even start somewhere. He is a little awkward playing the ball, and plays with reckless abandon, but I like him. Whoever gets him will have quiet but productive DB with a badass name. (imagine him and Slay on the same team!)

I like Vaccaro myself, I just dont think the 49ers should go up to get him. He will be a solid starter IMO. I just wonder about Matt Elam. He can bring it and lay someone out but he is 5-10 and tends to get burned. Not sure if want.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
What do you guys think about Bacaari Rambo? He is a 3rd round guy say the scouts (I believe) but I like him as a guy who can play a lot of pro downs or even start somewhere. He is a little awkward playing the ball, and plays with reckless abandon, but I like him. Whoever gets him will have quiet but productive DB with a badass name. (imagine him and Slay on the same team!)

I like Vaccaro myself, I just dont think the 49ers should go up to get him. He will be a solid starter IMO. I just wonder about Matt Elam. He can bring it and lay someone out but he is 5-10 and tends to get burned. Not sure if want.
Lots of talk about it being possible 49ers try to trade with Dallas to get Vaccaro, please do I wouldn't mind an extra 2nd round pick.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck that. Dallas needs elite players, not a late first and extra second that they can both whiff on.
Where is Dallas picking and what is the biggest need? If you are set at LT you could probably build D front and OL better with the late first and extra second. Seems to me that you actually draft ok when Jerry isn't mortgaging the whole thing on a flashy pick. Even then, Dez has been ok, maybe not up to his selection, and Claiborne looks good right?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Where is Dallas picking and what is the biggest need? If you are set at LT you could probably build D front and OL better with the late first and extra second. Seems to me that you actually draft ok when Jerry isn't mortgaging the whole thing on a flashy pick. Even then, Dez has been ok, maybe not up to his selection, and Claiborne looks good right?
Kiper's latest mock had top 6 OL guys all going before Dallas picks (18th). He had them taking a DT at 18, and OL at 47 in the 2nd round.