2013 VGX Awards (Formerly known as the VGAs)

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm not sure how $60 for a game these days is considered a lot... high end SNES cartridges cost almost 80 bucks back in the mid 90s, which is probably what.. $140 after inflation since then? haha
Obviously there are games out there that are full price that shouldn't have been more than 10 bucks, but a handful of game's with shit quality != drive a market price.

Using movies as a comparison is pretty good... going to an Ultra AVX 3D movie or some shit with 2 people, get popcorn and drinks, thats at least $60 for 1.5-3 hours of your time. (2x tickets is about $18 each, 2 pops and popcorn combo is about the same + tax)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think the problem with games costing 60$ is that they go down in price very quickly. Steam has sales, normal stores need to clear inventory, if you absolutely don't have to be among the first buyers, it's more sensible to buy games with 6-12 month lag, so it's hard to understand that something absolutely seriously is worth 60$ and not less from the get go. Of course, games where the experience depends on the number of people playing give you better incentive to buy before they have hit the "optimal" price point.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nod, bargain shopping by waiting a few months here and there definitely is wise - MOST of my purchases are that way. But either method works really if you know you're getting enough hours out of it.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
A game's worth is what you get out of it. I don't play multiplayer in Call of Duty games, never been into it. So for me to pay the 60 bucks for it just to do the single player campaign is pointless. However, other people play the hell out of the multiplayer, so release day purchase for them maybes feel reasonable in their eyes.

it's called social life, bro. every weekend, i go out and have a taste of life in movie theatres and restaurants. shit is refreshing.
As long as you understand that, consider it worthwhile, and don't contradict yourself by whining about a loss of video game funding...its perfectly reasonable. Its your life, your money, do what you want.

The key to good video game accounting is to keep track of sales, have a visual idea of what games cost, and check out the sites. This Black Friday weekend they had a bunch of different things. A lot of people were snatching up the 3DS XL's for 140 bucks, and then buying the new Zelda game. That's about 180 bucks, close to 200 with tax. Target was selling the Limited Edition Zelda bundle, which was a gold 3DS XL with a voucher for the new game, all for just 140. I waited until the Saturday after, because the sale was still going on over the weekend and the stores were restocking. I walked in as the store opened, and got one using my Target RedCard to get another 5% off, which nukes the sales tax pretty much (NJ is 7%).

Here's a list of sites that really help, people are pretty tenacious about finding deals and making sure everyone gets them. You can set up an account there and even get notifications sent to your email if something you want meets a price criteria.

Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon- has a ton of deals in general on everything, but the games section is really good
Cheap Video Game Shopping, Sales and Deals - Cheap Ass Gamer- more of an actual gamer community that does things like slickdeals
CheapShark - Digital Game Deals, Compare PC game prices on Steam, Amazon, Gamer's Gate, and more!- lists of updated pricing on PC digital download games like Steam, GMG, GOG, Origin, etc.

Also, if you're looking for your console games cheap, don't hesitate to go Used. I know people like quality, but sometimes the prices can't be beat. However, there's good ways to get the games intact.

Amazon is pretty good because you can see what the vendors say about the condition of the item. You can get really good prices.

Gamefly is damn good about used games. The prices aren't bad, and they typically give you the game in great condition with the case, cover art, etc. I can't recall ever getting a garbage package from them, unlike GameStop which will 60% of the time just send you the game alone in some disc wrapper. Heathens.

Vorph

Most people would not agree with you. There's a fuckload of manhours and work that goes into games and those prices are necessary. You also get more value per dollar than any other possible entertainment. Games are alsocheaperthan they have ever been due to inflation and what not.
Never mind Steam sales on games that have been out awhile--I haven't paid more than $40 for a PC gamepre-orderas far back as I can remember. Console games at $60 can suck it. So can their "sale" prices, for that matter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't mind paying $60 for a good game that lasts me 25-45 hours long (or longer). I do mind paying $60 for a game and it only lasts 5-10 hours. I've never minded my entire life. If I can go out with my wife and spend $40 on tickets and food for a 2 hour movie, I don't mind a little more on a game we'll both enjoy for awhile.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Never mind Steam sales on games that have been out awhile--I haven't paid more than $40 for a PC gamepre-orderas far back as I can remember. Console games at $60 can suck it. So can their "sale" prices, for that matter.
Most console games can be had for much less than $60 at release too. Comparing sale prices on PC to MSRP on console is retarded. And sale prices for console are often just as good.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
There's nothing wrong with playing video games just like there isn't anything wrong with going to the movies. And the issue isn't whether or not you can fit video games into your budget. It's whether or not video game prices are exorbitant and I think most people would agree that they are. 20, 30 bucks seems like a reasonable price for a new PS 4 or PC game.
have you seen game prices in 1980s-1990s? inflation adjusted. game prices are far more cheaper now than before.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
supertouch lives in a reality where xbox one and ps4 are the same thing, video games should all be $20, and women with penises are the norm

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I never said they were the same. I said the graphical differences are negligible in most cases and that both consoles have something to offer. 20 dollars is a little low but 30 or 40 bucks sounds reasonable. Aren't developers losing out on profit due to the inflated video game prices?

Also, chicks with dicks are hot.

Vorph

Most console games can be had for much less than $60 at release too. Comparing sale prices on PC to MSRP on console is retarded. And sale prices for console are often just as good.
What? No, they can't. I bought GTA V for $60 because discounts were non-existent for pre-orders and at release. I have Lightning Returns pre-ordered at Amazon for $60 and there's no place else that's cheaper. I've had it pre-ordered since practically the day they put it up, and the only price change has been a whopping -$0.03. Even GameFly doesn't give me my 10% member discount on pre-ordered games, and I can't remember the last time I saw an Amazon game that came with a $10 credit off future game purchases (was fairly common 2-3 years ago, but not now). That leaves Newegg, and while you do still occasionally see a pre-order on sale there for $55--and very, very rarely $48-50--they also don't include any pre-order bonuses at all so there's still a trade-off.

And there's nothing wrong with comparing that to PC game prices that include GMG vouchers and GameFly discounts, since they even apply to pre-orders the vast majority of the time. Hell, GMG doesn't even charge sales tax, so it's really ~$40 for PC game pre-orders vs. $65 being the actual price you pay for console games on release day.

And the sales suck too. The best prices on PSN sales compared to PC sales of the same game are somewhere between 50 and 150% higher. DLC sales are extremely rare in general too on console stores.

But hey, if it's so easy, I'll wait while you find me a link to Lightning Returns for ~$45 so I can switch over my pre-order.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I got a steelbook of Halo 4 for $20 on release day, never paid full price for a release God of War game. There are deals to be had if you are on the ball.

Vaclav

Trade in GTA5 or something else you're done with - I'm sure you'll get it below $40.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well I'm sorry you suck at getting deals. There are constantly deals like B2G1, $10-15 preorder credits, bogo half off, etc.

Hell I paid ~$30 each for 3 release day games for the PS4. I also have a bunch of games preordered for it for $47, which isn't great but not too bad.

I agree though, sales for digital content for consoles for the most part has been terrible. Hopefully they up their game this generation.

Vorph

I don't think "constantly" and "at the release of a brand new console, a week before its main competition launches, and also right around Black Friday" are really the same thing. PS4 will be just like the PS3 is now by the time spring releases roll around.

I'm genuinely curious now if anyone else actually agrees with what Ritley is claiming. Who here got The Last of Us or GTA V or GT6 or whatever other PS3 game released this year for less than $60+tax on release day without going to Newegg or some other site that doesn't participate in pre-order bonuses and isn't bound by the price fixing that goes on? Renting from GameFly on release day and clicking Keep It doesn't count either (although that is almost certainly the cheapest way to buy new games, since the Keep It price is always $45). Was it just some fluke that none of the games I've been interested in in the last 12-18 months have had $10 credits at Amazon for pre-orders, while everything else still does?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Wait, why would you exclude newegg?

TLoU was $60 with $15 GC for preorder at newegg, and GTA was the same with at least a $10 GC.

I don't have time to look into it now, but I would be interested in seeing what the preorder and lowest prices are for games that are released across all platforms are, like bioshock or tomb raider. The games you listed are all console exclusive.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Initial game prices have seemed fine to me. However digital releases for the most part have not reflected their inherited parent games value. Original game was 60 hours long at 60$ but dlc was 15$ and only 4 hours. And that is assuming equal quality and all other constants.

I think we all remember sfxt...

spronk

FPS noob
prices are fine, if you are smart you can get really good deals on shit. AC4 was $30 last friday, game hasn't even been out 2 weeks. BF4 was $20 on PC on black friday with plenty of notice, again a game out less than a month and really fun (multiplayer, fuck the SP). I picked up a 3ds xl for $150 on black friday, some people even got the zelda or mario bundle.

The big problem now is cross-platform and all the DLC/online bullshit. I would like to play some of the Wii U games, but I am not buying a Wii U. not for the price, $250 isn't shit, but because its another fucking box to install and collect dust, totally not worth it for a few dozen hours. I have AC4 on PS4 and wish I could switch back and forth from PC to PS4 (with saves unified) depending on if I'm playing alone or with kids on TV.

It sucks that Bioshock DLCs are coming out like 8 months after the game, I don't want to keep the game on my PC but at least its easy enough to redownload through Steam, it would suck on consoles having to choose between selling the game and skipping DLCs or keeping them around forever. Every dev thinks their game is somehow the center of the universe for gamers, and we want to keep playing and talking about it. fuck that.

Netflix for movies has really slowly changed the way we look at movies, steam and PS+ seems like the starting foundations for treating games like a similar transient commodity. But fuck DLCs, games were so much better without them.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Who here got The Last of Us or GTA V or GT6 or whatever other PS3 game released this year for less than $60+tax on release day without going to Newegg or some other site that doesn't participate in pre-order bonuses and isn't bound by the price fixing that goes on?
Why does it have to be on release day? I don't get that. Is there some sort of race I'm missing?

I can understand paying up front to get release day for an MMO, but a console game?

There's a lot of great games out there you can get for cheap, just keep yourself backlogged. That way when something gets released, you're already playing good games, and the released ones will be cheaper by the time your backlog has availability.

And seriously, what's the hype with getting a game from one place or another just because one store is selling it with a different colored item than another? You're not marrying the fucking game, you're playing it.

Vorph

Why does it have to be on release day? I don't get that. Is there some sort of race I'm missing?

I can understand paying up front to get release day for an MMO, but a console game?
My whole point was that console games are consistently ~50% more expensive than PC games--regardless of whether it's an exclusive or a multi-plat--because discounts on console titles are practically non-existent these days while nearly every PC game can be had day one for $40 or less. I pre-order lots of PC games for primarily that reason. Conversely, GTA V was the first console game I bought at release in two years. Lightning Returns will almost certainly be the last until whenever the hell Atlus brings Persona 5 to the west.

There's a lot of great games out there you can get for cheap, just keep yourself backlogged. That way when something gets released, you're already playing good games, and the released ones will be cheaper by the time your backlog has availability.
Eh, I prefer the GameFly solution.

And seriously, what's the hype with getting a game from one place or another just because one store is selling it with a different colored item than another? You're not marrying the fucking game, you're playing it.
I don't care about cheater DLCs that are free currency or starter weapons that are stupidly overpowered, but pre-order bonuses frequently include actual game content these days. The one rule I won't break is that I never buy a game when GameStop is given a significantly better deal for pre-orders. GT6, for instance. That bullshit needs to stop.