2014 Oscars

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this was "recommended" for me for some reason.
tongue.png

penalty_sl

shitlord
After the awards Dallas Buyers Club roped in I decided to watch it today. Almost fell asleep halfway through and just decided to stop watching. I mean, its exactly what its advertised as, HIV+ guy selling drugs to other HIV people. I'm not sure why I expected somethingeven remotelyentertaining.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
There's a difference between movies for entertainment, and films made to make you think. If you're not into/in a mood for the subject matter, you're not going to enjoy the latter.

DBC had my attention pretty much from start to finish, and rustled my jimmies in the process.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have no doubt the acting was top notch, but its just doesnt sound like a movie i want to see. Still havent seen million dollar baby even though i have no doubt its an excellent movie. Some situations are just too fucked up to sit through.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's what I was saying about Philomena earlier too. It was great for a lazy Saturday morning watch and I was engaged and enjoyed it. Had it been 6 - 7pm with dinner probably not. I just don't get that non-ADHD these days so have to been in the right mood (tired or drunk I guess).

penalty_sl

shitlord
There's a difference between movies for entertainment, and films made to make you think. If you're not into/in a mood for the subject matter, you're not going to enjoy the latter.

DBC had my attention pretty much from start to finish, and rustled my jimmies in the process.
I see what you're saying but there was very little to 'think' about with it besides don't get aids.

iannis

Musty Nester
I have no doubt the acting was top notch, but its just doesnt sound like a movie i want to see. Still havent seen million dollar baby even though i have no doubt its an excellent movie. Some situations are just too fucked up to sit through.
I tried to watch Bridesmaids because Bill Murray said it was funny. And I have to admit, he probably wasn't wrong, and Kristen Wiig is just great and now I have 2 things that I can point to and say, "She wasn't bad in that" -- but her comedy is like an open wound. It's not funny because it's so fucked up. It's just fucked up.

There are a lot of movies that are probably exceptional for one reason or another but no, just no.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Bridesmaids had some funny bits. But just like SNL, when they found a funny, they drove that fucker into the ground.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
After the awards Dallas Buyers Club roped in I decided to watch it today. Almost fell asleep halfway through and just decided to stop watching. I mean, its exactly what its advertised as, HIV+ guy selling drugs to other HIV people. I'm not sure why I expected somethingeven remotelyentertaining.
transformers: rise of the fallen or something else that's just as CGI action packed and brain dead is probably more up your alley.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone see All is Lost? I read some good things and Oscar snubbing accusations. Downloaded last night and will probably watch tonight.

spronk

FPS noob
The story of a small time slave owner going against all the odds to enter the big leagues

BByApNM.jpg

Szlia

Did anyone see All is Lost? I read some good things and Oscar snubbing accusations. Downloaded last night and will probably watch tonight.
I think it's commendable in its radicalism, but I feel the movie had two option to be satisfying: the first was to manage to surprise us and take us places we did not expect, the second was to stretch and stylize it and make it a sensorial, almost mystical experience (something like the lost at sea part of Valhalla Rising). As the movie does neither, watching the movie does not feel like a necessity if you have seen the trailer: the movie you expected happened and voil?.