2014 Oscars

Juvarisx

Florida
Nominees released short time ago, brief observation, Joaquin Phoenix gets fucked again. Yes I left some categories out like documentary and makeup since rarely anyone cares about those anyways

PICTURE:American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Gravity, Her, Nebraska, Philomena, 12 Years As A Slave, Wolf of Wall Street

DIRECTOR:David O Russel (American Hustle), Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity), Alexander Payne (Nebraska), Steve McQueen (12 Years As A Slave), Martin Scorsese (Wolf of Wall Street)

WRITER (ADAPTED):Before Midnight, Captain Phillips, Philomena, 12 Years As A Slave, Wolf of Wall Street

WRITER (ORIGINAL):American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, Nebraska

ACTOR:Christian Bale (American Hustle), Bruce Dern (Nebraska), Leonardo DICapprio (Wolf of Wall Street), Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years As A Slave), Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

ACTRESS:Amy Adams (American Hustle), Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine), Sandra Bullock (Gravity), Judi Dench (Philomena), Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

SUPPORT ACTOR:Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips), Bradley Cooper (American Hustle), Michael Fassbender (12 Years As A Slave), Jonah Hill (Wolf of Wall Street), Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

SUPPORT ACTRESS:Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine), Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle), Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years As A Slave), Julia Roberts (August: Osage County), June Squibb (Nebraska)

ANIMATED FILM:The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Ernest & Celestine, Frozen, The Wind Rises

CINEMATOGRAPHY:The Grandmaster, Gravity, Inside Llewyn Davis, Nebraska, Prisoners

COSTUME DESIGN:American Hustle, The Grandmaster, The Great Gatsby, The Invisible Woman, 12 Years As A Slave

EDITING:American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Gravity, 12 Years As A Slave

MUSIC (SCORE):The Book Thief, Gravity, Her, Philomena, Saving Mr. Banks

PRODUCTION DESIGN:American Hustle, Gravity, The Great Gatsby, Her, 12 Years As A Slave

SOUND EDITING:All is Lost, Captain Phillips, Gravity, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Lone Survivor

SOUND MIXING:Captain Phillips, Gravity, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Inside Llewyn Davis, Lone Survivor

VISUAL EFFECTS:Gravity, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Iron Man 3, THe Lone Ranger, Star Trek: Into Darkness

Szlia

How is Before Midnight an adaptation?

Oh and Chiwetel Ejiofor for best actor was in 12 years a slave, not Capitain Philips (so is Tom Hanks also nominated?)

Juvarisx

Florida
No idea I know nothing about that trilogy. Tom hanks was not nominated no, Oh I see what went wrong fixing

Needless

Toe Sucker
Matthew McConaughey will probably win best actor just for the drastic change he made for that roll lol

Sorry Leonardo, maybe next year lol!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Captain Phillips gets best writing Oscar because it is so fictiony I guess? Not many of the actual people involved with that episode that agree with the Hollywood version. Wolf of Wall Street, as crazy as that movie is, is less fiction than Captain Phillips if we were to listen to the people involved.

Juvarisx

Florida
Adapted Screenplay Oscars are based on the strength of the script not how close it stayed to the source material generally.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not that I ever had much faith in the Academy anyway, but if American Hustle wins Best Picture I will probably murder a kitten. That movie was boring as fuck. Which is what the Academy looks for now that I think about it, so I had better get my kitten ready.

Feien

Ploppers
How is Before Midnight an adaptation?
Before Midnight is "adapted" from Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Just like Toy Story 3 was also nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Sequels are not original ideas I guess.

spronk

FPS noob
no fast and the furious or This is the End? i am disappoint

i think the only movie i've seen out of all of those is Gravity
frown.png
I don't wanna watch 480p screeners!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Matthew McConaughey will probably win best actor just for the drastic change he made for that roll lol

Wolf of Wall Street was aight, but it wasn't anything amazing. Not a year worth winning on for him.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked American Hustle, but 12 Years a Slave is probably better. Jennifer Lawrence should get supporting actress imo, and Christian Bale best actor. But probably not best picture.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I dont think I saw a single movie nominated for an Oscar. Those movies are just not interesting for me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well bro they're probably never going to recognize Jenna Haze in a way that would appeal to you, you're going to have to diversify your tastes.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Not saying anything about relative quality, but Captain Phillips' and The Butler's weak showings reinforce that Ocasr Bait-y movies should only premiere in December.

And to reiterate, to a large degree the Oscars are about voting blocks, and the Brits threw everything behind Philomena.

When it comes to the technical categories though, I have no clue how the blocks break down. Lone Ranger over Pacific Rim in Visual Effects? Err, what?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
He won't for this year but I hope Di Caprio gets an oscar one day

The guy turned out to be an amazing actor

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
He didn't even get nominated for that slave master role he played, he's doomed

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I don't know much about that movie, but it's complete Oscar bait. Seriously, you take that movie to win awards.

Szlia

I am curious to see which will win best Cinematography. The Grandmaster is very impressive (but possibly suffers from not having enough voters that saw it), Gravity is groundbreaking and that car sequence by night in Prisoners just blew my mind. It's not exactly like it's the first movie with cars during the night, but somehow I never saw something like that before. Blew my mind. So I guess Inside Lewyn Davis will win... or Nebraska since I did not see it!

Cybsled

Pacific Rim visual fx snub is a wtf, but Gravity is going to win regardless.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think Bruce Dern takes the best actor oscar. They'll treat it as kind of a lifetime achievement award. He's always been one of those guys that was always a supporting actor, or had an odd bit part in a movie, but other actors and directors absolutely love the guy, and never really got a chance to shine as a leading man while in his prime.

His career arc reminds me a bit of Steve Buschemi. Ton of interesting roles, always makes a movie or an individual scene better, but just a little too odd to really be leading man material in Hollywood