2014 Oscars

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
those nominations are mostly bullshit, cant believe hanks got snubbed after 2 great performances last year. i stopped watching the oscars years and years ago because of this and because its boring as fuck, but damn, at some point they gotta get some good people on their committee. i love me some sandra bullock, but her role in gravity was not that great, she basically reprised her role in Speed. Cuaron and the cinematography deserve awards, but bullock? nah, she is a cutie, but her acting sucks a lot of the time.

Column_sl

shitlord
Well, wasn't expecting Prisoners to make any of the lists because it's not an Academy type of film so good to see it got nominated for at least cinematography.

spronk

FPS noob
86982cba126fd9c0b6301d02b86686fe.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen that film yet, but I bet it wins. The buzz is ridiculous on that film, and too many people are talking about it.

It's the kind of film the Academy typically picks as best picture.

Juvarisx

Florida
It's not a shame piece anyways, if people feel shamed into going its on them. Its more like Mandingo which I said in the thread for it which is fine but I didn't feel shame seeing or or shame to force me to go to it. It will win best Picture, and Chiwetel Ejiofor will win best actor unless they decide to give it to Dern for some reason, but the majority of the Oscars will be swallowed up by other movies like Director, Cinematography, Editing will probably go to Gravity (and yes regardless what you think of the movie on the whole it was a technical marvel and the lackluster screenplay was elevated by a very good directing job), Captain Phillips for supporting actor and adapted, hustle for supporting actress and original screenplay, etc.

Its a good movie but there was enough GOOD movies this year for the Oscars to be split up pretty well.

Column_sl

shitlord
those nominations are mostly bullshit, cant believe hanks got snubbed after 2 great performances last year. i stopped watching the oscars years and years ago because of this and because its boring as fuck, but damn, at some point they gotta get some good people on their committee. i love me some sandra bullock, but her role in gravity was not that great, she basically reprised her role in Speed. Cuaron and the cinematography deserve awards, but bullock? nah, she is a cutie, but her acting sucks a lot of the time.
Please explain how the Nominations are bullshit, love to hear this.

The MTV awards guy is going to school the Academy on what should have been included. Let me guess Pacific Rim for best picture?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I wish the Oscars were less artsy and more fartsy. Actually I don't give a shit at all about the Oscars, they mean nothing.

Juvarisx

Florida
They are still important to the industry, particularly upcoming actors, writers and directors. Don't underestimate the promotional value of a relative unknown being able to draw audiences because they have nomination and awards. They may not mean anything to you but the general public will still be more interested in seeing movies with academy awards attached then not.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not that I haven't seen half of the movies on that best picture list, it's that I'm not even aware that they exist outside of that best pictures list. Dallas Buyers Club? Her? Philomena? These were giant movies that I shouldn't have missed?

I'm not saying that they're not. I obviously haven't seen them. This is the first I'm even aware of them at all. Either I'm utterly out of touch (which I am) or some of that shine is wearing thin on good old hollywood.

Column_sl

shitlord
Or you could try to branch out of your comfort zone, and realize the world doesn't revolve around your local Cinemaplex..

Oscar's has always had nominated films that are not only shown in wide release but also in limited release.

The only thing this board has going for it is a the wide diversity in it's movie aficionados unfortunately it is a constant war against the non cultured nerds that this boards heavily supports.

faille

Molten Core Raider
They are still important to the industry, particularly upcoming actors, writers and directors. Don't underestimate the promotional value of a relative unknown being able to draw audiences because they have nomination and awards. They may not mean anything to you but the general public will still be more interested in seeing movies with academy awards attached then not.
You just have to look at how Jennifer Lawrence shot to fame after her nomination in Winter's Bone.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's not that I haven't seen half of the movies on that best picture list, it's that I'm not even aware that they exist outside of that best pictures list. Dallas Buyers Club? Her? Philomena? These were giant movies that I shouldn't have missed?

I'm not saying that they're not. I obviously haven't seen them. This is the first I'm even aware of them at all. Either I'm utterly out of touch (which I am) or some of that shine is wearing thin on good old hollywood.
Yeah bro, it sounds like you just don't really like movies.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

I had been eagerly awaiting "Her" since I first heard about it maybe 6+ months ago, but I'm also a huge Spike Jonze fan and I try to keep tabs on anything he is working on.

Best. Music. Video. Director. Ever.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I am curious to see which will win best Cinematography. The Grandmaster is very impressive (but possibly suffers from not having enough voters that saw it), Gravity is groundbreaking and that car sequence by night in Prisoners just blew my mind. It's not exactly like it's the first movie with cars during the night, but somehow I never saw something like that before. Blew my mind. So I guess Inside Lewyn Davis will win... or Nebraska since I did not see it!
Just finished Prisoners. I'm also surprised that it is nominated but thought it was very good. I think that particular scene was nice, although I went in to it after reading your post. The longer 3/4 perspective follow shot (or whatever) was really cool. Everything kind of came together at that point in the movie to also make it impactful. Also, and it is probably just me, but there was a lot of 'coming at you' in the movie. All the walking, driving, talking seemed to take place towards the camera without much pulling away.

Think we still have Nebraska, American Hustle, and Rush to watch. We may skip Philomena and Capt Phillips, neither look at all interesting to me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh actually I haven't even looked. Just assumed it was out there, hah. Looks like we'll be skipping that one too unless something changes in the next month.

spronk

FPS noob
Here are the Oscar winners for Best Picture for the last 25-30 years (spoilered for size)

2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
2000 - "Gladiator"
1999 - "American Beauty"
1998 - "Shakespeare in Love"
1997 - "Titanic"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
1993 - "Schindler's List"
1992 - "Unforgiven"
1991 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
1990 - "Dances With Wolves"
1989 - "Driving Miss Daisy"
1988 - "Rain Man"
1987 - "The Last Emperor"
1986 - "Platoon"
1985 - "Out of Africa"
1984 - "Amadeus"

I've seen 16 of those, so not too bad, but it seems like pre 2000 it seemed to pick more popular movies. Still can't judge it too harshly, seems to be a decent mix of popular vs critically acclaimed and the only one that irks me being on that list is Crash, maybe Dances with Wolves.

I feel kinda old though for not having watched a single winner since 2007. I've got rips of em all, just never gotten around to watching em.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I feel kinda old though for not having watched a single winner since 2007. I've got rips of em all, just never gotten around to watching em.
Argo fuck yourself. Watch those movies.

I still need to see a bunch of the contenders this year. I've heard Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years A Slave, and Nebraska are really good. Heard generally positive, but mixed, things about American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street.

/edit

Old Boy, Kill Bill Vol 1, Lost in Translation are 2003.