2015 - Screener Season Thread

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
I thought 'Big Eyes' was surprisingly good. Amy Adams, as always, was terrific. I would have never guessed Tim Burton directed this. Definitely recommended viewing.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No one told me Into the Woods was a quasi-musical
frown.png
I lasted about 15 minutes, not sure I can finish it even with Emily Blunt and Anna Kendrick.

Unbroken was decent, worth the watch, although I will probably never watch it ever again. American Sniper I enjoyed, although I understand I'm missing a ton that was in the book.

As far as the comments about dvd/quality, yeah wtf? I'm assuming that some of these rips are as close to the original as possible, and I always download the biggest size/best quality I can on screeners, so why are some of them so shitty? American Sniper, Unbroken, and Into the Woods are all noticeably inferior to even a standard dvd. Big Hero 6 was the only one that really looked halfway decent, but probably because of it being animated. If I had to watch and vote for dozens of these I'd be really annoyed that I wasn't getting at least dvd quality. I get that maybe the dvd isn't even pressed for some of these, but how hard can it be? I'd have to imagine that somewhere there is a digital version of these, just run it through fucking dvd decryptor with an output file size of 4GB or something. The result can't be any worse than what we have now.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Same reason they waited till a week after New Years to mail out the screeners. If you were supposed to get a screener you'd know exactly why it's about half broadcast quality.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah can't believe that is a question. The point is to see and hear the movie just enough to know the plot and whether or not you vote for it in its category. That is all.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, obviously I'm not on the mailing list so I am not up on the reasons. Still seems counterproductive to me, but then again so are a lot of things studios do, so what do I know? I'd think if you are being nominated for shit like cinematography and special effects it might matter, and any best picture nominees I'd hope they actually watch the whole thing and not just skim it...but then again I realize that most winners aren't really winning because of the movie itself, so I guess they could almost send out blank dvds to most people.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the reasons being they are trying to prevent video pirating. they know copies will leak, so they release the screener in 480p or whatever and thats good nuff to view and judge while keeping their official video release quality special.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So they're deliberately lower quality than regular DVD? Interesting

Here's me thinking "I don't remember DVD being this bad"

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Decent rips of John Wick are out now. Movie deserved an oscar choreography or being such a badass

Northerner

N00b
Wick was great (as expected) but Hero6 could have been better really. It was good but no where near the quality I expected given the reviews.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
saw john wick tonight. great great action film. fantastic choreography. pretty thin story, but it was enough to tie the action together. better than the equalizer. i thought for sure this was a wachowski film. the director was definitely a fan of them or john wu or both

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
saw john wick tonight. great great action film. fantastic choreography. pretty thin story, but it was enough to tie the action together. better than the equalizer. i thought for sure this was a wachowski film. the director was definitely a fan of them or john wu or both
It was brought up in the thread, its 2 guys that have done the stunt work for every action movie over the last 20+ years, it was their first film. They were pretty much the head guys for Matrix, V for Vendetta, 300, point break... Pretty much everything. If you didnt count there was Reloads every so many shots through out the flick, and they made sure no stupid shit happened with exploding cars

That aside, from being overall a badass action flick the humor of everyone on the fucking planet knowing who john wick was awesome. On top the directors and keanu have a series comming out that sounds just like John wick staring Reeves also

Keanu Reeves To Star In And Produce Action Series TV | Deadline

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm really looking forward to that TV show.

Some friends and I are getting together on Saturday for a screener watching party. Gonna catch up on a lot of films.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
How much is missing from the version of Foxcatcher that is out. Every version on IPT says its 2hrs8mins instead of 2hrs14 and supposedly taken from a "clean" version for the arab market

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's what I kept seeing too. It apparently makes Carell seem like less of an asshole and kind of makes it confusing.

Personally I couldn't find a damn copy where the guy who ripped it didn't screw up the audio about 15 min in, so I still haven't watched.