2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Figured it was time to start a new thread since draft is done. Isles killed it I thought in Round 1.

DSP back to Caps 1 year, $1M.

What the fuck are the Penguins doing. Jack Johnson?

Merrith

Reirden hired, Kempny signed for 4 years at 2.5 a year. Our top 4 defenseman are all under contract for the next 3 years, this is a good thing.

yaph

Molten Core Raider
Kempny was such a solid pickup. Him being a no frills late season trade was perfect. They plugged him right into the lineup and he did his job every night.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Wings traded Russo to Arizona for a conditional 7th and bought out Ouellet. That should help clear the logjam of defensemen in Grand Rapids a bit, especially if we don't re sign Green. Bertuzzi got 2 years at 1.4 and Frk for 1 year for 1.05, which is the max that can be buried in Grand Rapids if it doesn't work out.

Supposedly they are eyeballing Bernier for our tank commander goalie when Howard inevitably gets hurt.

I really hope Zadina makes the team, but I suspect he will start in Grand Rapids and get called up later in the year

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Kempny was such a solid pickup. Him being a no frills late season trade was perfect. They plugged him right into the lineup and he did his job every night.

I'm shocked he accepted $2.5M for 4 years. Figured that would be a 2 year deal number, then he'd try to get his payday at age 29 for like 4-6 years and somewhere between $4-5M a year.

Merrith

Supposedly Kings extend Doughty 8 years 11m per.

This make me feel a lot better about Carlson's $8M a year. He's in no way as good as Doughty, full stop. But I wonder what Karlsson gets after his deal is up this next year, now.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Im in on the John Tavares hype train. It will be so much fun if he signs with the Leafs. Not sure its a Cup team but trying to win every game 6-5 should be fun to watch.

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
NHL free agent signing blog

James van Riemsdyk is returning to the Philadelphia Flyers on a five-year, $35-million contract.

Tyler Bozak, the longest-serving Maple Leaf, will be joining the St. Louis Blues on a three-year deal worth $5 million per season (surprising amount).

EDIT: Tavares to leafs 7 years, 11m per.

Room opening up for Tavares, but it gonna hurt.
The Isles upped their offer to eight years at $11.375 million per (or, a jerseyrific $91 million in total) and still couldn’t get it done.

The Detroit Red Wings have locked up right-shot defenceman Mike Green (two years, $10.75 million) and will sign Thomas Vanek (one year, $3 million) and backup goalie Jonathan Bernier (three years at approximately $3 million per).

Stastny has flown to Vegas to sign off on a three-year deal that carries a $6.5-million cap hit.

Logan Couture, who can put pen to paper on an eight-year, $64-million extension with the San Jose Sharks this afternoon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Man, the salt on LI right now is so glorious. Bonus points for Halak leaving, dude was a brick wall whenever we played them. Wonder what they do now with the cap space.

Hearing the move doesn't bode well for Marner and what he is expected to be looking for $$$ wise. Would be interesting if LL kicks the tires on him, i'm sure there is still a connection there. All said, leafs really need to address their D still.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Not happy with Green, I'd have rather clear room for more young guys. A bit overpaid considering neck problem he had that prevented us from moving him at the deadline last year that could easily come back. At least it's a short contract that we can hopefully move at the deadline to a team that is looking for more than a pure rental.

Indifferent on Vanek. He was pretty good for us offensively, where we really need help. Even if we don't move him at the deadline it's only a 1 year deal.

Bernier's deal looks just about perfect to me. Gives us a few years to figure out if any of those goalies we drafted in the last few years are any good. Competent backup to Howard, but not so competent that we can't tank with him when Howard gets hurt.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
McDonagh at 7x6.75 mil is gonna look real bad in 3 years. Guess Bolts didn't learn with Callahan, glad we flipped right about now.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not happy with Green, I'd have rather clear room for more young guys. A bit overpaid considering neck problem he had that prevented us from moving him at the deadline last year that could easily come back. At least it's a short contract that we can hopefully move at the deadline to a team that is looking for more than a pure rental.

Indifferent on Vanek. He was pretty good for us offensively, where we really need help. Even if we don't move him at the deadline it's only a 1 year deal.

Bernier's deal looks just about perfect to me. Gives us a few years to figure out if any of those goalies we drafted in the last few years are any good. Competent backup to Howard, but not so competent that we can't tank with him when Howard gets hurt.
We need Green, Hronek or cholo aren’t ready to play 20 minutes a night. Kronwall is literally on his last legs and overall the D is a tire fire. Two years is perfect term.

Congrats to leafs fans, didn’t see it coming. Thought he would go to SJ.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
We need Green, Hronek or cholo aren’t ready to play 20 minutes a night. Kronwall is literally on his last legs and overall the D is a tire fire. Two years is perfect term.

Congrats to leafs fans, didn’t see it coming. Thought he would go to SJ.

This is a tank year for the Wings, trying to be a bubble team won't do us any good. I would love to see either Hronek or Cholowski make the team, Sulak and Saarijarvi need a year or 2 in GR. Hicketts played briefly with us last year and we really need to figure out if he's good enough.

Vanek and Green also got full NTCs, though Green's expires on 2/1/20.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but I'd rather we get the kids on the ice and let them do some learning on the fly. The Wings have a habit of letting players sit in the minors for too long. We could afford that when we were good, but not anymore.

Juvarisx

Florida
Matthews or Marner are going nowhere

TLDR Below: Can afford all of them and that was assuming Tavares would cost 12M. Defense will be a tire fire for one season, then Marleau is gone and they have 21M in cap space. Leafs will be fine. In case of emergency they can trade Nylander for an elite young RHD, who would be cheaper, but they really don't have to atm. The way Marleau's contract is structured they could trade him after July 1 next year and he doesnt have to be paid very much real cash since the contract is mostly signing bonus. Him and a pick for whatever to salary dump to an Arizona is very possible

Last edited:

Merrith

Isles fans so pissed. I want to post Tom Wilson laughing pictures everywhere. Leafs are as deep as Pittsburgh or Caps down the middle now (if not more so).

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a tank year for the Wings, trying to be a bubble team won't do us any good. I would love to see either Hronek or Cholowski make the team, Sulak and Saarijarvi need a year or 2 in GR. Hicketts played briefly with us last year and we really need to figure out if he's good enough.

Vanek and Green also got full NTCs, though Green's expires on 2/1/20.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but I'd rather we get the kids on the ice and let them do some learning on the fly. The Wings have a habit of letting players sit in the minors for too long. We could afford that when we were good, but not anymore.
They’ve already said over ripening prospects was over. Hronek will still make the team but will get to play sheltered minutes instead of getting thrown to the wolves immediately. You have to have some vet presence on a rebuilding team for the kids to learn from.

We’re still going to suck next year, but you don’t want to go full oilers and let a culture of losing set in.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, the salt on LI right now is so glorious. Bonus points for Halak leaving, dude was a brick wall whenever we played them. Wonder what they do now with the cap space.

Hearing the move doesn't bode well for Marner and what he is expected to be looking for $$$ wise. Would be interesting if LL kicks the tires on him, i'm sure there is still a connection there. All said, leafs really need to address their D still.

Like someone said before me, Marner and Matthews will get theirs. This pretty much prices out Gardiner though. Hes not a great defensive defenseman but he did score 50 points last year and will likely do it again this year. There arnt many 50 point Dmen in the league. It should be interesting to see what Dubas does with him. What did he think of not trading JVR for value while we had him and letting him walk for nothing in the offseason?

This is the big problem with the Leafs D. We had 3 guys who have shown they can be 50 points a season in Reilly, Gardiner and Zaitsev (when used offensively, he was pure penalty kill/top line play last season and his points got hit for it) but only Reilly is any good on the defensive end of things. We need some responsible right handed guys to pair up with them. We have a lot of guys in the AHL who havnt grown into that role but theyll likely get a full chance to this year again. We tried Borgman the longest last year but he never really looked like anything more than a 5-6D. Justin Holl looked good for the 2 games he played. 2 goals scored, 0 against, but the sample size is a problem. Holl is Dubas' man crush on the Marlies though, as well as Sheldon Keefe (Marlies coach) and just about all the Marlies staff. When asked who the player most ready for the NHL was, they all answered Holl. Hes not young, I think 26 so he should be ready for a chance. Hopefully he grows into it.

Down the line, theyve taken 2 RHD in the first round in the last 2 years. Liljegren looked good on the Marlies this year as an 18 year old playing in the AHL. The big problem is that if he plays more than 10 NHL regular season games this year he will be eligible in the next expansion draft. That pretty much rules him out this year for sure and we'll just have to hope he matures greatly and is ready to go next year. To early to say anything about Sandin.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Wings have signed Athanasiou to 2 years at $3m a year. Now lets see him prove he's worth it. He can be great offensively but sometimes a defensive liability. I want to see him get things figured out so we can see more stuff like this from him.