2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That sucks to hear. I really liked watching Luck play. He could have been one of the greatest of all time. Dude was a monster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just because he lives under a bridge and grinds children's bones into paste doesn't mean he is a monster.

andrew-luck-spitting-everywhere.gif

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sucks if Luck is done in the NFL. He had a high ceiling we might not see again in awhile.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I guess you could say he was....unlucky.

*shadesmeme*

• 5Picard
  • 2Cutler
Reactions: 6 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The QB market is going to end up hitting its apex, and then take a plunge, just like the stock market. Right now, there is no time better to be a QB in the NFL. The dearth of talent, the disappearance of fullbacks and diminished use of runners in general and the evolving free agent market and salary cap rules have pushed the value of QB's through the roof.

After Sam Bradford was drafted and got a bunch of guaranteed money the league changed the rules on rookie contracts and it altered the way teams approached the draft and moved the numbers on contracts. Fast forward to 2018 and now a guy like Kirk Cousins is worth 35 million dollars a year. After the 2019 season, there is going to be a leveling out of QB contracts and value on the position in general, due to many incoming prospects, the retirement of current great veteran QBs (Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Manning etc) and perhaps rule changes and owners and GMS complaining about the inflated market.

You figure by 2021 Aaron Rodgers is going to be getting close to 40, Matt Ryan is going to be on the wrong side of 30, Cam Newton will be over 30 and probably beat up and no longer the same player, the guys I just mentioned will have retired and there will be only a few guys on massive contracts. There is no way this trend continues and replacement evel QBs will be making 28 million a year and stars 45 million. Eventually it has to reverse itself. The running back will make a return, defenses will get a huge rule change boost, something is going to happen.

I don't see defenses getting any major rule changes for their benefit. Points put eyes on TVs. An "old fashioned" defensive struggle (that doesn't involve an entertaining white out blizzard) is considered "boring". The NFL is trending toward less hitting and more fantasy football marketing, not less.

And following that theory, if quarterback play is by en large more mediocre, the quick fix to "upping" that play and making these mediocre players more competitive is less defense, not more. This will keep the QB market inflated.

Jozu

In theory your argument holds water, but at the end of the day money talks and bullshit walks. When rookie salaries were ballooning out of control (QB contracts specifically) the league stepped in.

If the Kase Keenums of the world start commanding, and getting 30 million dollars a year, not only is this a gross imbalance, but it starts a creeping effect that begins to disgruntle other players at other positions and what they think they deserve.

I'm not saying the NFL is going to artificially put some kind of cap on QB salary, or even have to make any rule changes, I'm just saying that this trend will start to reverse itself one way or the other.

Just to be clear, at the current rate, in 2021 mid level starting QBs will be averaging over 25 million dollars a season. The top level elite guys will be clocking 40 million a year.

You think that is going to happen no matter what? I doubt it. Guys like LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown are going to be the catalyst that leads to a more balanced market. Skill position players who produce will start holding out and being faggots when they see Kirk Cousins making 79 million dollars a year in 2024.

Top level running backs like Bell and Gurley should be making 22-26 million a year given their short career spans, the demands of the position, and scarcity of those types of players. Same for the top receivers, Gronk, Julio Jones etc should be making Garoppolo money.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the Kase Keenums of the world play like he did last year, no one will grumble about shit. Ask Houston players how it felt playing for their team before and after Watson got hurt last year. Unless you have a guy that's getting it done at QB, you aren't going to compete very much unless you have a top of the league D, and even then it probably won't be enough deeper in playoffs.

Foles is a great example, it's undeniable he played great in last 2 games, but he was pretty mediocre against the Falcons, and his D getting a stop on 4th and goal from the 2 at the end of the game saved their season. If the Falcons convert there, Eagles are one and done and every Eagles fan spends forever wondering what could have been had Wentz not gotten hurt. Instead, Foles gets chance to bounce back, plays great after, and he's a hero.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
In theory your argument holds water, but at the end of the day money talks and bullshit walks. When rookie salaries were ballooning out of control (QB contracts specifically) the league stepped in.

If the Kase Keenums of the world start commanding, and getting 30 million dollars a year, not only is this a gross imbalance, but it starts a creeping effect that begins to disgruntle other players at other positions and what they think they deserve.

I'm not saying the NFL is going to artificially put some kind of cap on QB salary, or even have to make any rule changes, I'm just saying that this trend will start to reverse itself one way or the other.

Just to be clear, at the current rate, in 2021 mid level starting QBs will be averaging over 25 million dollars a season. The top level elite guys will be clocking 40 million a year.

You think that is going to happen no matter what? I doubt it. Guys like LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown are going to be the catalyst that leads to a more balanced market. Skill position players who produce will start holding out and being faggots when they see Kirk Cousins making 79 million dollars a year in 2024.

Top level running backs like Bell and Gurley should be making 22-26 million a year given their short career spans, the demands of the position, and scarcity of those types of players. Same for the top receivers, Gronk, Julio Jones etc should be making Garoppolo money.

You are crazy. Theres no non QB worth 26 million a year.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

I'm saying if the market continues to go in the direction it's going, Gurley SHOULD be making 24 million dollars a year.

What about LeVeon Bell? The guy has produced at an ungodly rate for multiple seasons, he is surely worth 20 plus million a year in 2019.

Basically, my argument is QBs are overpaid while other positions are underpaid, whoever argues against this is not being objective or fair.

QBs are obviously the most important position, so naturally their value should be higher, just not THIS high.

It's funny how people are just glossing over the fact that a guy with 7 career starts is the highest paid player in the league (who happens to be a QB).

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm saying if the market continues to go in the direction it's going, Gurley SHOULD be making 24 million dollars a year.

What about LeVeon Bell? The guy has produced at an ungodly rate for multiple seasons, he is surely worth 20 plus million a year in 2019.

Basically, my argument is QBs are overpaid while other positions are underpaid, whoever argues against this is not being objective or fair.

QBs are obviously the most important position, so naturally their value should be higher, just not THIS high.

It's funny how people are just glossing over the fact that a guy with 7 career starts is the highest paid player in the league (who happens to be a QB).

My guess is you are on the right track. The owners like money and they like winning. The QB salaries are getting way out of line compared to the other positions. So much so that it makes it hard to build a decent team around them. And even though Kirk Cousins is a decent QB, is he really worth the 25-30 million a year he is going to demand? Aaron Rodgers will be getting a new deal soon. He'll probably get 75 million guaranteed and 30 million a year.

The owners will figure something out eventually. QB's will always be the highest paid player, and they should be. But when that money continually keeps teams from winning that will make the owners pissed enough to change things.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Pats are in the hunt for the superbowl every year with a different running back and they never have the best running back. I would say an elite QB is worth a LOT more than an elite RB, especially in these days of RB by committee. Even more so when you consider the fact that with a few exceptions (Frank Gore) by the time a RB gets that second contract, they are usually on the downhill side of their career.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
RB success is a function of the offensive lines ability to block and the QBs ability to pass. If both of those are good anyone with legs will do decent at RB.

Put Bell on the Browns and watch his numbers plummet because no one fears the Browns passing attack.

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully McVay can put a damper on his shit and get him in shape. Did with Sammy, hopefully can get him on the team first train.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Still haven't seen what we're giving up for Peters. I read they wouldn't include Quinn which is pretty strange to me considering he needs to restructure his contract or be cut for his current level of production.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Glad we're probably not in the Trumaine Johnson market, but the dude would be awesome next to Peters. Rams just need to draft a stud LB'er and that defense is pretty set.

This is some pretty amazing news, gives us some cap flexibility too since he has 2 years left on his rookie deal.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

If this is true what's amazing to me is he wanted to go the Rams. How quickly shit can change.

• 1Worf