(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't played most of the AC titles, just a bit of the first one and Unity for two hours now, is every single title plagued with this Animus/Helix/memory-DNA technobabble? Does it ever become relevant or is it just nonsense disrupting gameplay?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
It used to be part of a great story idea that was ruined by the time it wrapped up.

Now it’s just shoehorned in to tie back to that story that’s been dropped

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They really do just need to let this thing die (by all means, feel free to take a couple games to wrap up the story first, but it's time to put it to bed) and replace it with unrelated historical games that are just about their respective time periods, without being tied to a greater narrative. I'd love a good viking game--and Ubisoft has hit on something with this 'free roaming on land and on ship' system, so I'd be happy to have them making it--but I'm at the point where I want a game about vikings, not about Assassins fighting Templars in the viking era. Basically I want RDR2, just in time periods other than the Old West.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I haven't played most of the AC titles, just a bit of the first one and Unity for two hours now, is every single title plagued with this Animus/Helix/memory-DNA technobabble? Does it ever become relevant or is it just nonsense disrupting gameplay?

It has taken a much smaller role in the games and is largely skippable except for some brief moments.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
every year we're waiting for asscreed:Japan, and they just keep finding the most non asian themes possible.

So much this.

I mean, in one of the Assassin's Creed 2 games (Maybe the third Assassin's Creed 2.. or the second... goddamn this franchise) Ezio finds notes from Altaïr that say he had two sons, one went east and one went west to spread the creed of the Assassins.

Ezio being in Italy, it obviously meant he was a descendant of the western branch, but it was super obvious east should have been Feudal Japan, with ninja assassins against templar samurai, it writes itself and prints money in the age of weebs.

Fuck Ubisoft, I stopped playing this franchise after it became clear the original trilogy "story" was written by Damon Lindelof where they just kept pushing the goalposts further away and writing as they went.

I hear Odyssey was good but at this point it's basically more like God of War than Assassins's Creed, you're fighting mythological creatures and actual deities.. cool premise sure, but call it something else.

PS : Play Sekiro if you want a cool assassin game in Japan with mythological creatures and no Ubi-bullshit.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
As someone who put 80 some hours in Origins and 160 hours in Odyssey, I'm definitely looking forward to this. While the storytelling isn't that interesting, the gameplay loop just hits so many buttons for me.

As someone mentioned though, I wish they would drop the Animus stuff and stop tying everything to the Assassin's guild and just make the content appropriate for the era.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Also, if you're looking for a good (but old'ish) game about vikings, Viking : Battle for Asgard is pretty damn good, it didn't really find its audience back then but it would have deserved more success than it received (it's on X360, PS3 and PC).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i would LOVE a generational game... you start out as altair find some hot arabian ass-assin chick, give her your assassin's seed and then you get to play as the child that goes west. you play as them for a bit, learn the ways of the orient and start an assassin's clan out there somewhere. then you'd get to play further on down their lineage... could be a cool way to see how your actions would affect the world years later. basically it'd just be about altair's lineage in asia. and about banging hot asians. they could call it Seed the Creed

and obviously completely dump the animus stuff.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
imagine a game where you get your dick sucked as you do a leap of faith

c'mon ubisoft, make it happen

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My knowledge of the Vikings goes about as far as a 2 days in middle school and the TV show with Ragnar.

Did women really fight with them? If so, at least they'll finally have an excuse for THAT shoehorn.
Probably the entire justification for the setting, now that I think about it...
Bruh women being actual trained fighters and being an integrated component of militaries/armies/fighting forces is a 20th century invention. The likes of Boudica are one offs.

Even below average men are vastly superior in physical performance to above average women.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yeah no one will ever touch the awesome of God of War, and Ubi's world building sucks compared to just about everyone else. They continually fall down on "Holy shit" factor content.

And while I liked Odyssey, I cannot imagine how cool it would have been in the hands of someone who was creative with content building instead of Cut and Paste, especially when it came to Greek Mythology.

Is GoW ever coming to PC?

Aliens? I think aliens or some shit.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks to Google's streaming shit, I probably played 100 hrs of Odyssey. Was formulaic as fuck, but satisfying enough to clean out a fort and just get stronger and stronger.

I'd probably aim to stay away from another formulaic time sink, if it was a carbon copy in a different setting, but settlements definitely has me intrigued.

Rude

Potato del Grande
I agree with the earlier post about renaming this series to something else. Went off the rails story wise at 3 and unity and syndicate were mega turds. I hadn't played any since

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Gonna put this here since it is the newest Assassins Creed thread. Epic store has Syndicate for free until 2/27. I never played it so gonna give it a shot.