2022-23 NFL Season : Herbert's march to Glendale

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not that this will change anyone's opinion, but pretty big of him to even take that responsibility on.

20230212_200747.jpg

If people want to say it was minor and would have liked to see it not called, then whatever.

But pretending like he didn't grab his jersey and claiming that's not a hold just makes you an idiot

• 3Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 458450

If people want to say it was minor and would have liked to see it not called, then whatever.

But pretending like he didn't grab his jersey and claiming that's not a hold just makes you an idiot

Thing is, we see this call 3 times a game all season, but it's usually on 3rd and 3 with like 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter of a Thursday night game. Just rough as fuck when we're watching a great Super Bowl, and it ends up being the difference between Hurts getting the ball back with like ~1:40 to go needing only 3 to tie, and them basically ending the game with a short kick.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 458450

I was just coming to post the same thing.

I don't care if people say it's a ticky-tack call because I kinda feel the same way.

But I can't really hate on all the people getting upset too much because the replay view most people are seeing doesn't really show this.

1676261779578.png

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Thing is, we see this call 3 times a game all season, but it's usually on 3rd and 3 with like 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter of a Thursday night game. Just rough as fuck when we're watching a great Super Bowl, and it ends up being the difference between Hurts getting the ball back with like ~1:40 to go needing only 3 to tie, and them basically ending the game with a short kick.
I can’t possibly see how people think that calling penalties different in the 4th quarter than they would in the second quarter would somehow make officiating better. If it’s holding in the first quarter, it’s holding with 2 minutes left in the game.

Anyways, lol iggles, hope Philly gets burned down

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
We need a next season thread so I can start talking about the Lions winning the NFC next year.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

I can’t possibly see how people think that calling penalties different in the 4th quarter than they would in the second quarter would somehow make officiating better. If it’s holding in the first quarter, it’s holding with 2 minutes left in the game.

Anyways, lol iggles, hope Philly gets burned down

I agree with your point, pretty much 100%. But I also get the whole "let them play" mindset for big games like the Super Bowl for some ticky tacky penalty to not cause a massive potential outcome change. There's the whole "don't let it come down to 1 play to let the refs decide it" thought process, but sometimes close games come down to that at the end, too.

In general, if they were just more consistent with calls like that, or not so many were always automatic first downs that completely change drives, it would be a little better. In a game like that, everyone just wants to see what each QB can do under pressure.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just another reason not to watch the NFL. I skipped all regular season pretty much. Maybe I'll skip the post season next year too.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
As a Dolphins fan I can vicariously celebrate Chad Henne being a two time super bowl champion. That's about as close as we've gotten in a while!

RDT_20230212_2251416151879803432387647.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I'd have more sympathy if it was some sort of incidental contact away from the play.

But the defender absolutely meant to grab him. They do it all the time hoping the refs don't see it or just let it go. He took the risk knowing he could get burned and it bit him in the ass

Merrith

I'd have more sympathy if it was some sort of incidental contact away from the play.

But the defender absolutely meant to grab him. They do it all the time hoping the refs don't see it or just let it go. He took the risk knowing he could get burned and it bit him in the ass

Agree 100%. I just think about Niners/Ravens 4th and goal play where Crabtree gets hugged in the end zone and Jim Harbaugh is on the sidelines yelling for a hold and wonder where the consistency is.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I see quite a few people talking about windows closing due to upcoming QB contracts. But they're saying that about the Bengals, Chargers, Bills cap hit, Eagles. So all the teams will be hamstrung in the same way. Got it. So no change unless some new hot shot comes up next year. Unlikely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I see quite a few people talking about windows closing due to upcoming QB contracts. But they're saying that about the Bengals, Chargers, Bills cap hit, Eagles. So all the teams will be hamstrung in the same way. Got it. So no change unless some new hot shot comes up next year. Unlikely.

They shouldn't be. We've already discussed on here that Stafford's cap hit combined with the dead cap hit from Goff the Rams incurred was a big % last year, and Mahomes was something like 17% and change this year, so that old 15% number they used to talk about has been disproven already.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
At least we can all laugh that the Cowboys will never win again.

• 2Worf
  • 2Cutler
Reactions: 3 users