2022-23 NFL Season : Herbert's march to Glendale

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
This is why I get annoyed with low information sports fans that bag on Shanahan.

His record as a head coach -

2017 - Inherits a 2-14 team from Chip Kelly. Brings in Garoppolo mid-season and goes 6-10
2018 - McKinnon tears his ACL in training camp, Garoppolo tears his week 3. CJ Beathard leads them to a 4-12 season
2019 - Garoppolo stays healthy all year and they go 13-3 and lose the superbowl to the Chiefs
2020 - 18 players finish the year on injured reserve. What's left of the team goes 6-10 playing home games in Arizona because of Covid
2021 - 10-7, lost NFC Championship
2022 - Lance goes down in week 2. Garoppolo goes down in week 13. 13-4 and they lose the NFC Championship after losing 2 more quarterbacks during the game.

There's probably not many coaches who have come to a dumpster fire team and then gone to the championship game or better in 3 out of 4 years. Doing it without an elite quarterback is unheard of in the modern era. Doing it with the amount of injuries that they have had to deal with is even more rare. Anyone who thinks he should be replaced should take a look around the league and see how far other coaches make it without an elite QB.

Shanahan is truly peerless when it comes to deep playoff runs. Nobody in the league loses Conference Championships and Super Bowls as consistently as he does.
Honestly, my biggest fear is that Shanahan goes the Andy Reid route. Is super successful in San Francisco up to a point, and can't quite get over the hump and win it all. Both sides decide to move on and he ends up somewhere else and gets over the hump. Would really suck.

Although for the Eagles it sure seems to be working out! They've already won 1 since Reid left, and are lined up for another now. Actually pretty impressive what that franchise has been able to do.

Edit: Although I suppose Reid getting a generational QB has helped out

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I hope the melt down in Denver continues.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
DeMeco seems like 1st coach they've hired in a few years they legit plan to keep

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
He is injury prone. He has had exactly one full healthy year with the 49ers.
Are we sure about that? Or is Shanahan repeatedly putting players in positions to get hurt? You've lost your QB1 in 4/6 seasons for all or much of the year. You've also managed to injure your QB2, 3, and 4. At what point do we stop with the Morty, "Ahhh geez, Rick!" style, "bad luck" excuses and start noticing a trend here..

Reddick couldn't even be blocked by OLinemen all season and was a top 2 or 3 pass rusher this year. Better block him with a practice squad TE on play action! Especially after Reddick had already almost nailed Purdy 2 plays before, with McGlichey blocking him. Then Shanahan has the gall after the game to basically say it was Purdy's fault for not "stepping up" in the pocket. The guy is an egomaniac that gets stroked off by the media and has bought into his hype as a football "genius", despite winning jack and shit. He basically scripts an entire half of football and runs those plays, regardless of what the game is dictating. He's completely unadaptable and blames players when his "genius" isn't executed.

On top of all that, you go and get a backup QB after Jimmy gets hurt who has been on 14 or 15 fucking teams, has more career INTs than TDs, when a player like Cam Newton is out there. Sure, Cam isn't good, but worse than Josh fucking Johnson? Hell, even Glennon and Bortles were available.

Shanahan will never win a Super Bowl. At least not as a HC/OC. I'd say it might be possible with a QB like Brady or Rodgers coming in, but I don't think Shanahan would allow either of those guys there, because he knows they'll give him pushback on the playbook. I think that's a large part of the reason Brady didn't go there in 2020. Shanahan and Lynch have said that they thought Brady was "done" after 2019, but I think that's complete bullshit and Shanahan just doesn't want to be challenged. He's all the worst parts of Harbaugh, just without the absolute insane meltdowns with referees. Harbaugh went to 3 NFC Championships and 1 SB in 3 seasons. How'd that work out? Shanahan has done the same but it took him 6. Somehow he's a "genius"? K.

• 2Moron
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It's amazing how little you know about football, yet continue to post here as if you actually watch it.

I have problems with Shanahan as a head coach. But trying to place those injuries on him, is pretty amusing.

As for the practice squad TE blocking, you should probably do some research on how he schemes up his play action, it may help you. Dummies like you will give him praise when the play works, but if someone gets injured then of course it's awful.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Honestly, my biggest fear is that Shanahan goes the Andy Reid route. Is super successful in San Francisco up to a point, and can't quite get over the hump and win it all. Both sides decide to move on and he ends up somewhere else and gets over the hump. Would really suck.

Although for the Eagles it sure seems to be working out! They've already won 1 since Reid left, and are lined up for another now. Actually pretty impressive what that franchise has been able to do.

Edit: Although I suppose Reid getting a generational QB has helped out
And to get back so quickly with a different coach is impressive too.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have problems with Shanahan as a head coach. But trying to place those injuries on him, is pretty amusing.
Yeah, scheme is literally never responsible for player injuries. When we criticize coaches here about running Lamar Jackson or Trey Lance up the middle on QB draws and shit? Running QBs that fit into an RPO system and we worry about their health? Literally the player's fault or just "bad luck". Especially when it happens over and over. "Just football", I guess.
Dummies like you will give him praise when the play works, but if someone gets injured then of course it's awful.
Wrong. I've very rarely given Shanahan praise. It's pretty easy to go fast if your Dad buys you a new Ferrari every year. How stacked does the roster have to be for Mr. Genius to finally break through?

• 1Cutler
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Although I suppose Reid getting a generational QB has helped out
Bingo. It's not that coaches don't matter, but most Superbowls are won by elite quarterbacks, and by most I mean like 90%.

Jozu

You cant talk shit to the Rams when they are defending champions.

At this point, a super bowl from the 49ers seems like an impossible fever dream. 1994 season was so long ago, so long ago it mine as well not even count. 5 Super Bowl wins is fantastic but who gives a fuck when the last one was 30 years ago.

Its not Shanahan either as Harbaugh failed at a high level as well.

Not a franchise, never won a super bowl.

Animosity

Bingo. It's not that coaches don't matter, but most Superbowls are won by elite quarterbacks, and by most I mean like 90%.
Flacco, Foles, Eli x2, corpse of Payton and thats just within the last 10 years..

• 1Like

Cybsled

Brady was given a huge broadcast deal with Fox Sports, so I wouldn't be shocked if his debut gets announced shortly

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Tom Brady retiring again? See you next season Tom.
200.gif

• 3Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Flacco, Foles, Eli x2, corpse of Payton and thats just within the last 10 years..
I'm not taking Peyton and Eli as non-elite QBs. Look at Eli's career passing yards. Flacco was elite the year they won too even though he turned right back into a mediocre QB the next year. I'll give you Foles but it doesn't happen often.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Man as a Bucs fan, we're so fucked. This roster is going to look like dogshit after this offseason - wouldn't be surprised if we finish last in the NFC South

• 3Worf