2023-2024 College Football. And then there were 4

Sterling

El Presidente
Maximum butthurt would be Georgia in anyways and neither Texas or Bama in.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That is completely illogical and it falls prey to recency bias. Head to head is the ultimate metric. If FSU is in, then Texas and Bama is the play-in game, and it was already determined on the field. Anything else is just bullshit eye test nonsense. Not to mention Bama beating Georgia makes Texas’ win over Bama even better. Texas owns the best win of all the playoff teams.

The only debate left is whether they should let in the most deserving team (FSU) or the best team (Bama) for the 4th spot.

I completely understand the idea of recency bias, but it's also a fact we'd expect these teams to get better and better as the season goes on (obviously aside from a lot of health issues depleting a team, etc). I can MOSTLY agree head to head is the ultimate metric, if we're only talking about between those two teams and no other (although there's going to be plenty of instances in college, NFL, whatever where two teams could play each other 3 months prior, and the result tells us jack shit about how good they are 3 months later/over the course of a full season). Bama beating Georgia in December doesn't really move the needle for me on Texas beating Bama in September. If all we're doing is cannibalizing whatever teams do after to whichever team had a good day against them at some point, that gets messy af.

Can't say Texas owns the best win of all the playoff teams (or potential playoff teams) if Bama just beat the consensus #1 in the final game before the playoffs.

Whole deserving v best is dicey, too. But this is why we're not going to just have a 4 team playoff anymore, b/c there's just too many of these scenarios where it's obvious 5, 6, or even 7 teams have a case. Like frankly, nobody can sit here and tell me Georgia still isn't one of the best 4 teams in college football.

As for what I'd actually do, I'd have Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama in. Sorry Florida St and Georgia.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Maximum butthurt would be Georgia in anyways and neither Texas or Bama in.
You could make a strong case for this if you only look at who your one loss was to. Any logic that has Bama jumping Texas would also have Georgia jumping Bama. I think it's the least likely scenario given their lack of quality wins but it would be hillarious.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Lol Foggy Foggy is butt hurt. I am just telling you what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. Trust me, I would rather face Texas than Bama. A game against Texas is much more winnable game than a game versus Bama.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol Foggy Foggy is butt hurt. I am just telling you what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. Trust me, I would rather face Texas than Bama. A game against Texas is much more winnable game than a game versus Bama.
Nah, your take is just dumb. My only concern is our seeding.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pooch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Being a Texas fan myself, just sucks this isn’t the year of the expanded playoffs. I see all sides of how we get in and don’t, and I’m not upset if we don’t get in. Just getting the big 12 championship just to flick them off is great for me. But how we have played recently, I’m convinced we can go out and beat any team right now. Offense is clicking in high gear and our secondary isn’t nearly as bad as it was earlier in the year. I think our close games that people like to call out was just a lack of discipline. We went into halftime with 20 point leads in most cases, and it nearly bit us in the ass against k state. But if you want to do eye test, Texas has made its case.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heather Dinich (ESPN reporter who is the mouthpiece of the committee) just put out her prediction for final rankings:
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Bama
5. Georgia
6. FSU

Rais

Trakanon Raider
As much as I hate seeing Foggy puke everything about Texas I agree with him. I think they made it in. Like who did FSU really beat? They beat Louisville lol. Texas, Meatchicken, Wash and Bulldogs should go in. Playing Divison IIIV teams and CUSA should auto disqualify you from anything.
1701584285904.png

Same with Alabama. Who did they beat? Georga. They sucked ass on 90% of their games vs teams who have 1/4th the player abilities and depth.

1701584381997.png

Georga should get in over Alabama since they beat two good teams.

1701584517502.png

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
As much as I hate seeing Foggy puke everything about Texas I agree with him. I think they made it in. Like who did FSU really beat? They beat Louisville lol. Texas, Meatchicken, Wash and Bulldogs should go in. Playing Divison IIIV teams and CUSA should auto disqualify you from anything.
View attachment 502804
Same with Alabama. Who did they beat? Georga. They sucked ass on 90% of their games vs teams who have 1/4th the player abilities and depth.

View attachment 502805

Georga should get in over Alabama since they beat two good teams.

View attachment 502806

This would have been more convincing if you had shown Texas's schedule. I know they beat Bama but I'm having a hard time finding the second quality win? Was it Kansas by 3 or Houston by 7? You can't possibly mean beating the OSU who lost by 42 to UCF, LMAO?!

Maximum butthurt would be the best 4 teams, UGA, BAMA, undefeated Michigan, and Washington. Everyone else is just a easy win for the other quality teams.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Regardless of what happens, someone is going to feel hosed. An argument can be logically made for many different scenarios and outcomes of the top 4.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the expanded playoff either because it makes that 1 or 2 losses pretty irrelevant, as you will have the same teams in the top 10 - 15 pretty much every year anyways.

I'm on the edge of my seat the entire season because I know a single loss can take you out of the running. Knowing that your respective team can eat a loss or two and still make it in the playoffs is going to kill the excitement of CFB imo.

Just like this year, that loss to Texas hurt bad. I was emotionally involved in so many other games hoping for some teams to lose to push Bama back up. Under the 12 team expansion, I wouldn't give a fug, because it wouldn't matter at all. We would be in regardless.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
This would have been more convincing if you had shown Texas's schedule. I know they beat Bama but I'm having a hard time finding the second quality win? Was it Kansas by 3 or Houston by 7? You can't possibly mean beating the OSU who lost by 42 to UCF, LMAO?!

Maximum butthurt would be the best 4 teams, UGA, BAMA, undefeated Michigan, and Washington. Everyone else is just an easy win for the other quality teams.
I thought it goes without saying that Texas beat Alabama.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The real problem with the whole system is that Upper Class Teams like UGA and Alabama play lower class teams instead of teams within their own division.

This top four ranking would have been much less of an issue, if UGA and Texas had played each other at some point in the regular season. I will not even bother watching a game like UGA vs UT Martin. Why the fuck do I care about a mismatch that is so obvious that it should never have happened? I would much rather watch a game with UGA verse LSU. The entire schedule should revolve around teams within their division with maybe one easy game(Within state like UGA Verse Georgia Tech) as to offset the numbers matched. In most sports, all teams within a division will play each other at least one time. This helps to judge who really is the best team.

Now we get this mess....

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Like any good OU fan, I really hope Texas gets left out and I get to laugh, but it is obvious that Florida St should be sitting at home while Texas and Alabama go on. The playoff isn't some reward for a nice season, it is to figure out a national champion and FSU is not one without their starting QB. It is abundantly clear in the two games without him. The committee is fucking retarded, though, so they will most likely leave out an SEC team which is totally stupid since both UGA and Bama should be in. Texas fans are seriously retarded when they act like this is the same Bama that they beat at the beginning of the year.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Like any good OU fan, I really hope Texas gets left out and I get to laugh, but it is obvious that Florida St should be sitting at home while Texas and Alabama go on. The playoff isn't some reward for a nice season, it is to figure out a national champion and FSU is not one without their starting QB. It is abundantly clear in the two games without him. The committee is fucking retarded, though, so they will most likely leave out an SEC team which is totally stupid since both UGA and Bama should be in. Texas fans are seriously retarded when they act like this is the same Bama that they beat at the beginning of the year.

I get this and want Texas hosed as much as any OU fan, but FSU went undefeated by beating every team on the schedule put in front of them. Bama didn't do it and neither did Texas. Also, college football has always rewarded head to head results which means Texas vs Bama with the same record is advantage Texas because they played and decided it objectively.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Then you look at UGA who won against every opponent except Alabama(In the SEC championship). They lost that game by .....3..points. Since Texas beat Alabama by a lot more, how do we count them out? FSU has a valid point in that they are undefeated. This is why a 12 team playoff system needed to exist. It will quickly weed out the weaker teams while allowing the better teams to advance.

Again it would have made things simpler if UGA had played Texas...

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, next year none of the regular season will matter, as we will see the same 10 or 11 teams out of 12 play.

Like college basketball, no one give 2 fucks about the regular season...nothing matters until March madness.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The big games will still matter. An Alabama vs Georgia game will still matter. Ohio State verse Michigan will still matter.

The smaller games never did matter......