28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In case anyone is interested in Shapeways and what the final product looks like, I took some pics of my Corellian Star Shuttle I recently had printed.

Seems to work well for games like Warmachine or 40K where parts are broad and don't have tiny "realistic scale" details. For X-Wing it doesn't work as well do to the print job not being too sharp. For my project it was good enough.

Material used was White Strong & Flexible, Polished plastic. Polishing removes some of the granularity at the expense of losing some detail and sharpness.
TtODS4f.jpg

1YJFO7k.jpg

2TPakZa.jpg

Click for image

faille

Molten Core Raider
I think this is probably too open ended a question, but what is the best way to get into x-wing without committed too much money? Is the base set enough to get a good game experience and being able to play up to 2v2, or does it take a lot more than that? Does it even support 1v1 or do all the players need their own sets?

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think this is probably too open ended a question, but what is the best way to get into x-wing without committed too much money? Is the base set enough to get a good game experience and being able to play up to 2v2, or does it take a lot more than that? Does it even support 1v1 or do all the players need their own sets?
Coolstuffinc.com is your best bet (20-30% off on everything).

The starter comes with an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters, enough for 50pts each side (if you take the upgrades included in the starter). Average tournament size is 100pts. You'll need at least one additional ship per side to bring you up to 100pts.

Starter ranges from $27 (Coolstuffinc) to $39.95 (full price).
Single blisters run about $9.99 (buy online,) to $15 (full price). Buying online is always the better option.

If you buy online, you should come out about $60-$70 100pts per side. The best way we've done it is two of us bought starters and then traded the side we wanted (gave my buddy my tie fighters for his x-wing). Either way this game is pretty cheap.

Alternatively Ebay is a good choice.

You can do without a playmat, and the play area is just 3x3ft. Movement templates, asteroid templates and so on all come in the starter.

It's designed for 1v1. The one issue you'll run into is you'll need another Dice set, so I'd recommend you and a buddy buy each a starter.

The starter will not have enough for 2v2, you're looking at about $150 or so (possibly less) before you'll have enough or 2v2, then again it all depends on build and what options you take.

As a general rule of thumb, the average ship runs about 20pts give or take 5-10 depending on faction. Games run at 100pts, so with just a few ships 3-4 you'll be at 100pts once you put upgrades on them. The upgrades are pretty necessary (upgrades come as cards included in the ship blisters you buy).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I want a ground combat version of that game with real minis scale/cost wise. I've tried to get into Warmachine but I really just can never get into the lore/style of the game.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Coolstuffinc.com is your best bet (20-30% off on everything).

The starter comes with an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters, enough for 50pts each side (if you take the upgrades included in the starter). Average tournament size is 100pts. You'll need at least one additional ship per side to bring you up to 100pts.

Starter ranges from $27 (Coolstuffinc) to $39.95 (full price).
Single blisters run about $9.99 (buy online,) to $15 (full price). Buying online is always the better option.

If you buy online, you should come out about $60-$70 100pts per side. The best way we've done it is two of us bought starters and then traded the side we wanted (gave my buddy my tie fighters for his x-wing). Either way this game is pretty cheap.

Alternatively Ebay is a good choice.

You can do without a playmat, and the play area is just 3x3ft. Movement templates, asteroid templates and so on all come in the starter.

It's designed for 1v1. The one issue you'll run into is you'll need another Dice set, so I'd recommend you and a buddy buy each a starter.

The starter will not have enough for 2v2, you're looking at about $150 or so (possibly less) before you'll have enough or 2v2, then again it all depends on build and what options you take.

As a general rule of thumb, the average ship runs about 20pts give or take 5-10 depending on faction. Games run at 100pts, so with just a few ships 3-4 you'll be at 100pts once you put upgrades on them. The upgrades are pretty necessary (upgrades come as cards included in the ship blisters you buy).
Cheers for the info, though being in a australia pretty much limits any of the cheap US online retailers. Book depository looks like they aren't too bad though, though many of the extra ships are out of stock. Lots of people seem to recommend 2 core sets, but adding extra ships on top of that seems to get pretty pricey pretty quick.

As for a ground combat version, perhaps imperial assault is what you're after, playing the skirmish mode.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Keep your eye on Bartertown.com for a couple weeks. People are always moving stuff on that site. Shipping to AUS is expensive for USA based people but you might be able to find some people more local to trade with. If nothing else, throw up a "Looking for" thread and see if anyone bites. I generally get my stuff used at 50%+ off retail.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Doubt they could make it bigger with the current material and not have it fall to pieces when moved around.

Of course, you could always go the Imperiator route, just stand on the table yourself and stomp down on the other players army
biggrin.png

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doubt they could make it bigger with the current material and not have it fall to pieces when moved around.

Of course, you could always go the Imperiator route, just stand on the table yourself and stomp down on the other players army
biggrin.png
Haha, probably. Maybe there could be internal supports of some kind and the resin would sort of an exo-skeleton that hides the fact that it's hollow. But, at the current prices, I'm shocked they sell any at all and larger ones would just be that much more costly. Could buy a decent commuter car for the money of those titans.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
If i read it correctly, its actually in scale with the original titan legion charts (let us all remember that the authors have waaaaay diffrent heights for the warlord, between 33m to over 100m, so the novels are useless for information).

Also, they sold out day 1 so apparently there is intrest for them for sure.

ps. word of mouth is that the cara.weapons of the reaver is about head height of the warlord, not totaly unresonable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do you have a good 'wtf is happening to WH?' condensed blog/page? I really haven't payed attention since 5th.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
Im on the fence. I'll be getting the start box, and I do look forward to small skirmish type games. All the fluff and the changing of the names for IP reasons sucks though

Palum

what Suineg set it to