28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
haha, basically they scraped everything Warhammer and its not Age of Sigmar. Rules are now 4 pages, every model has a warscroll, however a warscroll reads "this is a single model or as many as you want" The uproar is how do you balance a game for a tournament when no one knows how many models you can bring with a warscroll. The argument is, agree on say 15 warscrolls, ok you brought 15 random assortment of models, I brought 15 Bloodthirsters. Thing is not everything has been leaked and it appears there are warbands and things that limit how many of a type of warscroll you can take. Its all confusing.

EDIT: ignore my post lol, nice find on that link!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea it looks very clever the way they are balancing it. If your opponent model dumps, you can basically choose a (near) auto-win for you through sudden death. It seems like there's no real need to have a ton of models as long as you have a swiss-army collection so that if things start going south during deployment you can choose your win-hard unit vs the army they have deployed and say stop. Also it seems like the game will be won/lost mostly during deployment.

I may pick it up Saturday because unlike every other place I live I actually have a GW store a few minutes away so it should be an interesting event.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol the celestials faction is basically... just space marines without bolters. At least they know how to turn things around! SPEESSHH MAREEEEENNNs.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_101717.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The people crying about WH on Dakka and BOLS are basically the same tired idiots who would unbox armies of 360 pro-painted silver helms and get upset when they have to settle for half the points and some lucky asshole gets an entire hellblaster volley off and kills half his army including a dragon prince.

Not sure why they haven't committed suicide years ago, WH has been a wreck since 5th/6th at least comparatively.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Im going to try out Kings of War. I tried it at origins and liked it. I get to use all my old models so that makes me happy. I think there is supposed to be a demo for Age of Sigmar at my local shop this Saturday, i might stop in and check it out

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Im going to try out Kings of War. I tried it at origins and liked it. I get to use all my old models so that makes me happy. I think there is supposed to be a demo for Age of Sigmar at my local shop this Saturday, i might stop in and check it out
KoW struck me as fan rules for WHFB. That's not a bad thing but what's the benefit? I always have had a problem finding regular players for anything other than 40K/WHFB and now I guess WM/H (never got into them though). I tend to think I haven't had the worst hobby stores... there were some truly amazing stores back in the old days where I grew up... Wizard's Tower, Dakka Dakka.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
There are a few people at my shop who are willing to try any game. A few of them went with me to Origins and liked Kings of War. We already play Dreadball so most of them are familiar with Mantic and their rules. The biggest thing is the free rules and mantic don't care what models you use. Thats the biggest selling point.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As someone who travels around by plane a lot to attend WHF tourneys (I hit every time zone last year), I am extremely pissed. This is not even a game. Four pages of rules and they still fuck that up. This is their half assed attempt to rip-off Warmahordes. Right now the national masters community is debating sticking with 8th until Kings of War refines some things or just outright saying fuck it. I was prepared to entertain it if there was any depth or, you know, fucking army construction balance, but there simply is neither. Heroscape did this same sort of rules set with four pages of rules and managed to be far less ambiguous. X-Wing is tight as hell with the ruleset. There are so many better paths they could have gone, but they clearly just do not give a shit. This "game" is designed for two nine year olds dumped off at the store for cheap daycare to ram whatever unpainted garbage they have together. I say this after having seen most of what is going to be downloadable on Saturday.

Also, Palum, 8th edition is probably the closest the game has been to balanced in a long time and the community was finally doing well (after years of neglect from their LOTR cash grab) before this all went down. Games Workshop is doing this radical thing because of losing their ass in the Chapterhouse lawsuit and because Space Marines sell boxes. They really should have just pawned the rules off on Fantasy Flight and stuck to producing affordable minis for whatever FFG did with the game. As it is, they deliberately killed off what was left of the WHF community for a game that will likely be nothing but conversion fodder for 40k players in two years. They could not turn LOTR into a sustainable skirmish system (and that had a good IP and gameplay). This random name shit has no chance at all.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm astonished GW is still alive these days. They have done nothing but destroy their fan base year after year. Price hikes, shit quality, price hikes, killing off fun side games, price hikes, shutting down FAN SITES DEVOTED TO THEIR PRODUCT, price hikes, etc. etc.

Privateer Press and other small companies have never been in a better position to start marketing the hell out of their product. GW made cool models and tried to rig a set of game rules to go with the models. PP made rules and a proper game, then made models to represent what happens. Which game system do you think actually works well.....

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think GW's issues stem from two major things. First, they decided to pretend the internet didn't exist and stopped marketing/engaging the community entirely. This began a few years ago when they shut down their official forums and put gag orders on all their main designers. Second, they stopped running events or sanctioning them. The second item is crucial because it ended any incentive for tourney organizers (you know, the only people actually promoting Fantasy) to require GW models for events. In effect, the bean counters thought they could save money by not giving out prizes, but ultimately it opened the floodgates for third party mini manufacturers to expose how overpriced GW's lines were. The three year hiatus from developing Fantasy that was the LOTR bubble did not help, either.

Historically, they have never spent resources on good rules, they just got lucky for a while by having Andy Chambers working for them.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I left Warhammer for Magic The Gathering.

I went from shoddy organisation of random games to organised tournament level play once a week or more.
I went from guessing what was next to having every game design choice spelled out and justified in daily articles.
I went from massive upkeep and depreciation of expensive models to having something I could pick up for cheap and even increase in value.

WTF Games Workshop.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I went to Warmachine/Hordes (Warmahordes)
It's a refreshing change, the rules are tight, the company acts like it gives a shit that you exist. There are forums where I can asks questions and get rules answers from the developers. The main fluff guy (Seacat) randomly answers stupid fluff questions which is awesome. They have a program for getting new players and they support local shops. The best part is the useless trinkets they give during leagues and book releases. I'm a sucker for trinkets.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just really don't like the theme and aesthetics really. Don't hate it, just doesn't do anything for me.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still have most of a Space Marine army boxed up and in shrink wrap from as far back as 4th edition I think.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ\

9th is out on New Zealand site. Full rules and all warscrolls (unit stats from old army books) are 100% free:http://www.games-workshop.com/resour...s-rules-en.pdfis direct link to the rulebook section.

This is... I'm at a loss for words. It looks like GW has maybe turned the page a little bit? The units are all hideously expensive, but if you can at least play a game with 15 models and add on over time there's something to be said. The interesting thing is going to be that this is very much more warmahordes/mtg/boardgame style game that's meant to be fast, engaging and strategic/tactical instead of mired in minutia and frustrating planning like wheeling units, movement restrictions, etc.

You can play it now, however since they are using 40k unit ideals I think the assumption is all of the boxes will come with round bases at some point. It actually seems kind of like 2nd ed 40k where there's a huge focus on primary characters instead of hordes of units.

I'd say the biggest negative that I can think of is none of the characters seem to have the depth of options anymore regarding items/spells/magic junk. I suppose it's somewhat necessary for streamlining, but sinceeveryunit has special abilities now, seems kind of silly since you have to reference something for every unit anyway. I'm still not sold on the complete lack of 'points' though. Org charts, who cares... but for instance the dwarf lord can have shield bearers... and it's just you have to buy them and paint them. In some ways, it seems interesting though, for instance you can take dwarves and basically have your shtick be ironbreakers/irondrakes and hope the other guy places enough for a sudden death victory and choose outlast and just stand your ground in one giant pile out of LOS of warmachines and hope they don't have chariots or something, lol.

I'm going to look over everything tonight and maybe try a few proxy games to see how it rolls. This is basically fast Mordheim, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I don't have to wheel a cavalry unit ever again I'll be OK.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I'm starting to read through this and... I'm just confused on a few things. I mean, you just keep placing high elf dragon mages on the table? Also there seems to be no prohibitions on special characters that I can find so... just plop down a baker's dozen Teclis?

I suppose it's better that TOs have to make/maintain unit guidelines (no more than X this, characters unique, etc.) rather than fix broken core rules with their own special twist since there's basically no rules to fix.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
as a long time tournament player GW has completely ruined the game for any competitive or balanced play. IT is now a beer and pretzel game. Here is an example of some of the ridiculous rules:

Marius Leitdorf:
Abilities
The Mad Count: Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

Kurt Helborg
Pride of the Reiksguard:Helborg's skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

Grail knights:
The Grail Vow: You can re-roll all failed hit rolls for this unit if, before rolling the dice, you hold aloft a grail or goblet and shout 'For the
Lady' in a heroic voice.

Masque of Slaanesh:
The endless Dance:
If you are dancing while rolling the dice for the Masque's attacks in the combat phase, you can reroll any failed hit rolls. If, at any point, you
can coerce your opponent to join in, you can re-roll any failed wound rolls as well.

Settra:
And He Did Say 'War', and the World Did Tremble...:
If Settra the Imperishable uses this ability, you must hold out your hand and utter 'War' in a supremely commanding tone. If you do, then until your next hero phase you can add 1 to all hit rolls for Death units in your army that are within 18" of Settra in the combat phase. If a
Deathrattle unit is affected by this ability, you can also add 1 to their wound rolls in the combat phase. However, if Settra is your general, you must not kneel for any reason during the battle. If you do, even once, you immediately lose the battle. Settra does not kneel.
Like what a joke.

There is no Pts, No Comp, no nothing. No game here. Just a shitty skeleton of a game to push models around

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh, I figured out why you can't just bring a lot of dragons. Holy fuck dragon slayers.

Also, you are a little too full of yourself if you can't get over some text. It's really simple - TO says all silly rules are automatic. Game fixed.

I get some of the salt but this is a huge step in the right direction overall. I am puzzled to a degree it happened with WHFB and not 40K - but even still you can always play 8th or wait until an 'official' tournament version of the rules comes out. I will certainly miss some of the rank and file pieces of WHFB, I still love my giant blocks of dwarf warriors.