28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WTF was that? Dark Elves? Vampire Counts?

As angry and jaded as I am, my 4 armies will remain intact until the end of time. I just can't part with them.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Wow, that's some nerd rage all right.

All those hours of work to make a statement a company will never care about in all likelihood.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Anyone play Infinity? Couple people at the shop might be trying it and it looks interesting but I have no clue where to start.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone play Infinity? Couple people at the shop might be trying it and it looks interesting but I have no clue where to start.
A buddy of mine started playing it with a group in College Station, and is really enjoying it. He's been trying to get me to buy a squad, and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. I've only played a couple of matches with a display starter set the local store has out. I could see it being fun with more diverse squads then what the starter provides. The system makes for quick games, but seems like it'll be easy to learn and tough to master. Don't really know much about the different factions, but from what he tells me, the level of tactics involved can really get exciting compaired to most games once you start using all the different crazy units.

Barrier of entry is relatively low, too, so that's a big plus. I like the fact that you won't have that many units to paint, so you can spend your time painting the ones you have really well. Don't know if any of this is informative, but it's definitely a game worth looking at if there are any folks playing in your area.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. .
It's now or never.

Miniature Market - Dungeons and Dragons Warmachine Magic the Gathering Board Games Heroclix
20% Off on all their inventory. Once you got the stuff you want, punch in Infinity15 in the coupon code thing for an additional 15% off. Don't know how long that coupon will last.

Isn't Infinity the one where you can put all your actions on one model and have it do all the work every turn?
Not really. Well yes, you could do that. However, from people who have a lot more experience in the game than I, it's a tactic mostly used by new players and in reality doesn't work out so well. Orders management is a big part of the game. Stacking all your orders on a single model almost always ends up with the single model dead in the open. You will always have cheerleading teams you bring just for the orders though. The better players tend to split their orders pretty evenly among the units the bring with few exceptions.

Helldiver

N3 makes units a lot more specialized. Particularly HMG and Rocket Launcher guys. From what the guys have told me, it's one of those things where you'll have your specialized guys that are really good at their role and a few units brought along to support those specialized guys.

I've got the starter and a few nomad units but don't have much painted. I've been orders stacking but that's just because we're playing with very few minis while learning the rules. Most our games are done in less than 20 minutes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been trying to find good streams of battle reports to sample some of the rules... but good god are some people awful at life. I'm mostly trying to find good examples of mini games with enough explanation that the layperson can understand what the fuck is going on but not enough exposition to learn the game outright. I seem to find a lot of shit that's either 'oh nice need a 13 ok great guess hes down ok next 16+ ok great OC test on the UL pass ok move 4" ok go!' or 'the first step to playing with dwarves is to move them!'

Helldiver

I've been trying to find good streams of battle reports to sample some of the rules!... ...the first step to playing with dwarves is to move them
Not really sure what you want. Most Battreps are going to be as brief as possible and assume you know the core rules as well as have a general idea of the armies being played. Usually they're just a summary of the strategy being used.

Are you wondering about the general gameplay of Infinity? I can give you a general run down, but this video series explains it pretty well. Each video is pretty brief actually.
How to Play Infinity Part 1 Assigning Orders and Automatic Reaction Orders (ARO)
How to Play Infinity Part 2 Face to Face Rolls, Shooting vs. Amament (ARM)
How to Play Infinity Part 3 Modifiers to a roll, Range bands and cover
How to Play Infinity Part 4 Impetous, Models with an order that can't be assigned to another model.

Helldiver

Last day on that coupon btw. Although miniaturemarket has all their stuff 20-30% off all the time.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So yeah, AoS came out and the GW apologists were cheering about how revolutionary the game is. BRB came out and still no points, now suddenly they are scared. I personally don't hate GW or their fans, just seems that my shop has these 5 assholes who suck on everything GW puts out. Long story short, 2 of them came to Warmahordes night with new battle boxes. The Khador and Menoth 2 player box if I remember correctly.
I giggled.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I can't help the fact that GW does lore and models really well. It sucks that there could be a lore empire and instead there's stone age IP policies and licensing.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
In my dream world PP and GW merge and make beautiful game babies. PP handles the rules and customer/fan support while GW does the models and lore.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly I think the thing is there's only a few simple requirements to a good game system:

A) Simple, bulletproof core rules
B) Responsive unit updates and distribution

You can't maintain perfect balance buy the GW model, for instance, is now at a colossal disadvantage to digital rules. I think PP still needs to transition a bit more in that direction as well though certainly their app isn't as ridiculous as GW has been with codex updates.