3 Body Problem

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It can manipulate electronics too. Fucking with all the scientific research instruments. The whole "you are bugs" thing.

It's why the story doesn't feel like it has a "hook".

Szlia

Proof this a documentary: aliens computers making our auto-correct softwares turn "pilot" into "piolet". What insidous agents of chaos! :lumie:

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
If people want answers on what the aliens want, not read it but seen a lot of YouTube videos on it:

The aliens are using their tech to make Earth science fail so we can't progress to a point we can resist them. Their aim is to move their entire civilisation to Earth since their own star system has 3 suns causing drastic climate changes they can't predict, they have colony ships on the way.

Next seasons and why it's interesting:
Earth does manage to fight back somewhat to progress in tech and make a fleet to resist, but it's wiped out instantly with the kinetic energy of a single moving near indestructible projectile.

The conflict ends when a new type of Mutually Assured Destruction is developed by Earth where people find the location of the alien homeworld and threaten to broadcast it into space indiscriminately unless they fuck off.

Because of "Dark Forest" theory, it's rational to destroy aliens on first contact before they destroy you given that destruction is trivial, so broadcasting the location dooms both worlds.

The aliens didn't do this and destroy usbecause they need the planet intact.

I think they put a Chinese woman in charge of the MAD so you can image how well that goes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If people want answers on what the aliens want, not read it but seen a lot of YouTube videos on it:

The aliens are using their tech to make Earth science fail so we can't progress to a point we can resist them. Their aim is to move their entire civilisation to Earth since their own star system has 3 suns causing drastic climate changes they can't predict, they have colony ships on the way.

Next seasons and why it's interesting:
Earth does manage to fight back somewhat to progress in tech and make a fleet to resist, but it's wiped out instantly with the kinetic energy of a single moving near indestructible projectile.

The conflict ends when a new type of Mutually Assured Destruction is developed by Earth where people find the location of the alien homeworld and threaten to broadcast it into space indiscriminately unless they fuck off.

Because of "Dark Forest" theory, it's rational to destroy aliens on first contact before they destroy you given that destruction is trivial, so broadcasting the location dooms both worlds.

The aliens didn't do this and destroy usbecause they need the planet intact.

I think they put a Chinese woman in charge of the MAD so you can image how well that goes.
I understand they were making our science fail and they want to hamper progress. What I didn’t understand was why they unveiled themselves to the world then just gave up on hampering it. Why let them progress at all if they have the power to stop it all, take over all electronics, blot out the sun, and imprint anything they want on people’s eyeballs? Those powers alone you could just stop progress forever or set the planets progress back hundreds of years within a week.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If that is the real story, I'm guessing the books frame it better and D&D are just doing D&D things and killing the story. Probably because they think a story never dies.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I understand they were making our science fail and they want to hamper progress. What I didn’t understand was why they unveiled themselves to the world then just gave up on hampering it. Why let them progress at all if they have the power to stop it all, take over all electronics, blot out the sun, and imprint anything they want on people’s eyeballs? Those powers alone you could just stop progress forever or set the planets progress back hundreds of years within a week.
Yeah I don't remember any reference to that in the vudeos about the books. It was just surveillance and fucking with physics experiments?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched the Chinese version of the show and they spend over double the amount of time getting to about the same stopping point as the Netflix show. So they go into more details of both the aliens and the humans helping them. It sort of helps to smooth over the rough edges and changes that the Netflix show makes. The Chinese version is suposed to be much closer to the books as well. For example, they didn't split the main guy into a party of 5 and they spent much more time with the investigator dude.

I'm not sure if Netflix will go into it next season, so will use spoilers for the Chinese version: Both the aliens and human helpers have factions within them. Some want to take Earth from humans and some want to work with humans to co-exist (a third human faction wants to try to escape but they didn't specify if any aliens were for moving humans). The alien leader's plan is not to "murder" all humans, but instead sterilize them, to allow them to live out their lives, best they can. Which means they have a moral code they wish to follow, even if they are ultimately making a species extinct.

This allows speculation that blinding everyone, or killing all life on earth via blocking the sun is against that moral code. They will still kill humans that might develop tech to threaten them, as a means of last resort though.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Puzzling that anyone finds this boring. For me this is the best sci fi series on TV in probably 10 years. Dark is the only contender in sight for the top spot.

Its also notable in that I can't recall a scifi show with exactly zero eye candy hot chicks but it works anyway.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This Auggie bitch is the worst part of the show. She's absolutely insufferable and retarded.
I so hated when she told Saul to grow up, it‘s not cute anymore, or whatever she said. Strong, independent bitch dissing my relatable man Saul. It did hurt. But I liked the season. Then again, just springle in some mysterius Galaxy-bending science fiction fuckery and I’m enjoying myself like a trans-rapist at a women’s shelter.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

Sci-Fi Mystery GIF by NETFLIX

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Why even make stuff up about CERN. Spoilered for irrelevance.
1000002117.jpg

• 1Picard

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m annoyed that I enjoyed this, and that Netflix will likely cancel it and I’ll have to read a plot synopsis on Wikipedia.

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What made the books interesting was engaging character development and plausible sience stuff. The show downgrades it with mediocre writing and questionable casting. Which both turns the science stuff from plausible to '"hey Jarvis invent time travel". It's sad because the whole Fermi Paradox -> Dark Forest angle is fascinating.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Puzzling that anyone finds this boring. For me this is the best sci fi series on TV in probably 10 years. Dark is the only contender in sight for the top spot.

Its also notable in that I can't recall a scifi show with exactly zero eye candy hot chicks but it works anyway.
I enjoyed the show well enough but it is not in the same category as Dark.

Dark has a better written story, better actors with well written dialogue, better music that enables the mood and it is just so much more interesting.

Lets not get carried away and compare this to Dark.

Cybsled

Dark Forest is a cool concept, but I still don't think it is logical.

If you're an alien civilization that is basically acting like Daleks and exterminating other life in the galaxy and have the technological means to achieve that goal, then that same civilization would presumably also be capable of locating planets that host life proactively. You wouldn't need radio broadcasts, you'd just look at all nearby star systems and find the planets and wipe them out.

The solution to the Fermi Paradox is either a) We're first b) We missed it c) We don't have sufficient technology to locate evidence or lacked sufficient technology in the past that would have allowed us to locate evidence - example: Alpha Centauri sends out radio broadcasts in 2000 BC and by the time 2024 rolls around, they're using some ultra advanced shit we haven't thought of and don't send out radiowaves anymore

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The solution to the Fermi Paradox is either a) We're first b) We missed it c) We don't have sufficient technology to locate evidence or lacked sufficient technology in the past that would have allowed us to locate evidence - example: Alpha Centauri sends out radio broadcasts in 2000 BC and by the time 2024 rolls around, they're using some ultra advanced shit we haven't thought of and don't send out radiowaves anymore
Much more probable is that faster than light / wormhole / warp speed travel is physically impossible and the universe is simply littered with the graves of single planet civilizations that all eventually die out without ever making or receiving contact with anyone else. Even if they manage to colonize what few rocks that are habitable in their local systems it is impossible to travel beyond that. As the universe increases the speed at which it inflates, forever expanding away from similar aged systems, it's literally impossible to ever make contact.

Imagine the beginning of the universe as a rock dropped in a pond and the ripples produced in the water is the expansion of the universe. If you assume technologically advanced intelligent life requires X number of billions of years to evolve, then all civilizations capable of communicating at the same time we can all inhabit the same "ring," the same circular ripple around the center of where that rock was dropped. Unlike a pond, however, we are expanding faster and faster as time goes on, not slowing down, so we will never be able to communicate with anything beyond our direct immediate celestial neighbors, that is systems at least the same age as ours within listening range, which we've been listening for what 30 years so 15 light years for 2 way communication to be achievable. And really "listening" is probably always limited to extremely small ranges like this, otherwise you're picking up radio waves from so long ago in the past its irrelevant. Without faster than light technology extremely local listening is all we are capable of doing. "Looking" further away than this, all light is always snap shots of the past, hundreds or millions or even billions of years into the past.

While the drake equation is pure junk science and nothing but a bunch of assumptions the truth is there's hardly any viable candidates in our neighborhood (both distance and age) and if faster than light travel is never possible then space is mostly fucking empty, 99% of planets that have life on them are simple bacterial life and the chances that any 2 planets with technologically advanced life existing at the same time happening to exist directly next to one another and thus being able to communicate with one another within their civilizations lifespans are virtually zero.

All science fiction, from space empires to aliens to star wars always involve the concept of faster than light travel, its so fucking common we must be kicking ourselves we haven't figured out how to do it yet. Yet the entirety of everything we know about the physics of the universe is one simple principle, nothing can travel faster than light.

So instead of having to come up with crazy convoluted scenarios to explain some "paradox" on why we can't detect any life when it should be super fucking abundant we should go with the obvious conclusion which is Einstein has a better understanding on how the universe works than George Lucas.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Ultimately we don't have enough data and limited technology to evidence otherwise. Radio broadcasts are thought to heavily degrade after about 2 light years to being virtually indistinguishable from background radiation. We still don't have the ability to image or observe Earth sized planets orbiting stars like our own (although supposedly that is coming in the next decade or two)

FTL may or may not be possible - however, I would say it being impossible is presumptuous. Einstein was brilliant, but so was Newton. Eventually you'll have a physicist who surpasses both and opens up a field of physics we can't even dream of.

• 1Like