38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Grave_sl

shitlord
Yep. Thanks to Curt giving me the opportunity I was able to prove I could actually do real stuff beyond verbose design ideas posted on the old boards. Learned a lot, made some cool stuff, met a lot of people that are now friends or industry connections and I'm still at it. It's a tougher gig than a lot of people might think, but I love it and am excited about working every day so that makes up for the downsides to the industry - like the common layoffs which I'm sure I'll face again at some point. It's all good as long as I'm creating something, learning and working towards my end goal of heading up my own project.

Reckoning was cool. Glad you enjoyed it. It was very small in scope compared to the world of the MMO, particularly the worldbuilding behind the races and their cultures. I felt like they realized the Fae pretty well, but unfortunately the elves and different humans didn't really come across very well in it. The MMO was definitely in danger of being of the WoW-clone archetype, but it really somehow felt very akin to EQ as well with the very realized starting locales and cities, large dungeons, etc. I really miss working with some of those races and the interesting lore behind all of it we had to play with. It was definitely more story-driven than WoW, but I honestly don't know if that would've been well-received these days or not. Good memories though.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep. Thanks to Curt giving me the opportunity I was able to prove I could actually do real stuff beyond verbose design ideas posted on the old boards. Learned a lot, made some cool stuff, met a lot of people that are now friends or industry connections and I'm still at it. It's a tougher gig than a lot of people might think, but I love it and am excited about working every day so that makes up for the downsides to the industry - like the common layoffs which I'm sure I'll face again at some point. It's all good as long as I'm creating something, learning and working towards my end goal of heading up my own project.

Reckoning was cool. Glad you enjoyed it. It was very small in scope compared to the world of the MMO, particularly the worldbuilding behind the races and their cultures. I felt like they realized the Fae pretty well, but unfortunately the elves and different humans didn't really come across very well in it. The MMO was definitely in danger of being of the WoW-clone archetype, but it really somehow felt very akin to EQ as well with the very realized starting locales and cities, large dungeons, etc. I really miss working with some of those races and the interesting lore behind all of it we had to play with. It was definitely more story-driven than WoW, but I honestly don't know if that would've been well-received these days or not. Good memories though.
Glad to hear you're doing fine and yes, I definitely am a bit sad that I won't see a follow-up for Reckoning and the MMO. Reckoning got me hooked right away, bit bloated with quests, but a good game nonetheless, except for the field of view which I had to fix with a 3rd party program.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I remember posting on fohguild, how awesome Reckoning was. I enjoyed it, a lot. Minus the insanity of questing, there was so much goodness in that game. One of the opening scenes, with the gnomes dropping you down the dead-body trash chute - now that was just great.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The game was pretty fun until you to the obviously rushed out last area where the game quality just went to shit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The quest bloat in KoA was insane. Eventually I couldn't take any more and just rushed through it. It's a very underwhelming game, that I feel is highly overrated.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I feel it was rated. ;D

Seriously though, quest bloat is definitely there but I damn sure didn't scoop up and do everything in Skyrim either. I feel like KoA had a host of issues begging to be fixed in a follow-up, but the foundation was solid and I had a good 30ish or so hours playing it. It got super easy even on hard because no enemies, not even the bosses, could keep up with the insane powers that come later in your levels.

I liked it though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
...the common layoffs which I'm sure I'll face again at some point.
I've been headhunted before by recruiters for gaming companies before and a close 2nd or 3rd to loving where I'm at (along w/ logistics of moving) this is what keeps me away. Even while not being in that industry and the idea of it is stressful. Tack on the collapses, mergers, bankruptcies and other misc drama and I'd start to think therapy might be a decent and worthwhile perk in that profession. Not sure how you guys do it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Not sure how you guys do it.
The industry chews and spits out people with a very high regularity. A fairly large number of people don't last and get out as fast as they can when the hollywood-level shine wears out and the truth comes out. I lasted 15 months.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The quest bloat in KoA was insane. Eventually I couldn't take any more and just rushed through it. It's a very underwhelming game, that I feel is highly overrated.
Agreed. Over-bloated useless questing (And too many of them) - although I really liked the combat system. Graphics were decent enough and the world had a lot of charm from an atmosphere perspective.

The problem I have mostly was the game was pretty much made by BHG, Not 38. I was told a lot of the RA Salvatore shit (And there wasn't much) was slammed in there and the story was more it's previous life (Ascendant) than KoA: Reckoning. With that said, Ken Rolston is good at what he does, and I hope he continues to make games. Not sure if he landed somewhere yet or not. One of the only relic designers that was able to move his cheese.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The industry chews and spits out people with a very high regularity. A fairly large number of people don't last and get out as fast as they can when the hollywood-level shine wears out and the truth comes out. I lasted 15 months.
And it's because of the people on top
frown.png
And that's what needs to change.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
It was a quest based single player RPG. Bitching there are too many quests in KOA is like griping there is too much killing in TF2.

I really enjoyed the game. I imagine Curt wishes he had went solely down the single player path for a while to build his company before trying to create WOW 2.0, especially as he lost, what, 75M or so?

Stevo, I'm with you. I did a brief contract at a gaming company and really hated the work environment. Give me my nice Fortune 500 stable company job any day over any gaming company.. That is unless I had Schilling levels of money and could run my own. Sadly, I'd probably end up broke just like him and back to my day job.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It was a quest based single player RPG. Bitching there are too many quests in KOA is like griping there is too much killing in TF2.
There are quest based single player RPG's all over the place. Throwing hundreds of WoW style quests down your throat and calling it content was bloating the game. It had a lot of good points - for me namely combat, music, and atmosphere. However, the hundreds of mundane quests were not part of that equation. Luckily you didn't have to do them since the game was so easy anyway.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There are quest based single player RPG's all over the place. Throwing hundreds of WoW style quests down your throat and calling it content was bloating the game. It had a lot of good points - for me namely combat, music, and atmosphere. However, the hundreds of mundane quests were not part of that equation. Luckily you didn't have to do them since the game was so easy anyway.
Yeah, that's just it. Almost all single-player games are "quest based". However, it quickly started to feel like a dumbed down version of WoW. You'd run to a town/village, collect the 14 bear ass quests, then run out and finish them. Not exactly "engaging" gameplay, especially in a single-player environment, where you can allow things like world-shaping, decisions being meaningful, etc. It had a few interesting areas, a solid musical score, and a decent combat system. The game, as a whole, is justhighlyoverrated.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yep, can't argue it's a quest hub, WOW-lite clone in a single player format. I enjoyed the game and reviews were so so and accurate.

It's no Skyrim, but it's a very fun cheap single player RPG. Far better than most of the crap I play.

I think it was rated just right and is definitely worth 10 bucks, since it plays well and has a decent amount of content.