38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Flight

Lord Nagafen Raider
1d 23h 1m
Reactions
159 119 0 0
The details of the loans given by Rhode Island were cut throat. 38S was pretty much dead the moment they took them out. They included :

1. huge interest payable from the minute the loans started paying out, meaning much of the loans were paying the interest, and

2. commitments to ramp up the number of employees hugely on guaranteed dates short, medium and long term.

Curt was betting the house on an early release and WoW levels of success.

arallu

Knight of the Realm
1d 2h 29m
Reactions
30 1 0 0
So anyone think we'll see those Copernicus assets in anything THQ makes? Or a KoA2?
RA Salvatore wrote up most of the lore and previously has sounded like he'd be interested in working with whoever picked up the IP

tyen

<Banned>
Reactions
5,160 3,656 0 0
-On January 15, 2008, THQ acquired Big Huge Games
-On May 27, 2009, 38 Studios announced that they were acquiring Big Huge Games and retaining 70 employees out of approximately 120 who were at THQ.
-THQ Nordic, formerly Nordic Games, acquired the THQ name as well as Darksiders, Red Faction and other properties from that publisher, which was liquidated in early 2013. It took the THQ Nordic name in 2016 in light of acquiring so many brands associated with THQ.
-2018: THQ Nordic picks up Kingdoms of Amalur IP from 38 Studios’ wreckage

Weird 10 year of history for the THQ brand

Last edited:

Denaut

Molten Core Raider
20d 13h 33m
Reactions
582 40 0 0
-On January 15, 2008, THQ acquired Big Huge Games
-On May 27, 2009, 38 Studios announced that they were acquiring Big Huge Games and retaining 70 employees out of approximately 120 who were at THQ.
-THQ Nordic, formerly Nordic Games, acquired the THQ name as well as Darksiders, Red Faction and other properties from that publisher, which was liquidated in early 2013. It took the THQ Nordic name in 2016 in light of acquiring so many brands associated with THQ.
-2018: THQ Nordic picks up Kingdoms of Amalur IP from 38 Studios’ wreckage

Weird history
THQ Nordic is a completely different company than the old THQ, formerly known as Nordic Games. They are pretty well known for scooping up properties from defunct companies, including a bunch of stuff from when THQ went under. Notably they also bought the THQ name and then rebranded as THQ Nordic.

Tmac

Lord Nagafen Raider
2d 21h 27m
Reactions
634 25 0 0
It’s a shame that Curt didn’t seem to have anyone to reign in his ambitions and keep him more grounded and practical. Here’s hoping we get some quality RPGs out of THQ.
That's probably due to the fact that business owners typically learn that lesson early on when the business is still small and can afford mistakes. I did something similar with my business, but it was to the tune of a $40k / mo burn rate instead of, I'm assuming, a $4m / mo burn rate.

Even though people like to demonize big-money CEO's, there's a reason they get paid the big bucks. They don't make mistakes like this, because they've already learned that lesson.

Lunis

Molten Core Raider
7d 22h 57m
Reactions
1,014 1,889 0 0
Curt has a personality disorder, just read his tweets. He has to be 'right' about everything just like my 6 year old niece.

Tmac

Lord Nagafen Raider
2d 21h 27m
Reactions
634 25 0 0
Curt has a personality disorder, just read his tweets. He has to be 'right' about everything just like my 6 year old niece.
So your niece has a personality disorder?

Last edited: