38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What they said about Curt's daughter is way over the line and disgusting. It might not be criminal, but I have no problem with him putting them on blast for being shitty human beings.

God, it must really suck being a celebrity, a lot of times. All of this stuff isn't a game, these are real people and this is real life.
Yeah it definitely sucks having the freedom to piss 50 million dollars away and not end up in the poor house.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So are the 38 studio art assets for sale still ? I can't believe they haven't drastically dropped the price yet. Will they just end up leaving these pixels locked up forever or will it eventually become public domain ?
The assets are completely unusable. For a brief time before the layoffs all the people who knew how to recover the assets (art, text, animation) were employed by SOE but now they are scattered across various studios. Without those people it's just unusable garbage as nobody knows the toolchain etc. Maybe some Chinese outfit company can buy them for next to nothing and then brute force through it but otherwise that stuff had a very small window in which it could have been used.

I'm sure someone told RI this already.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I was gonna say... "Real life". Really?? Shill'ing has never lived in the real world. In the real world you go to jail and you don't pass Go and collect 1 million dollars from espn and get a massive tax return for your failed business when you've committed fraud.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You think so? If I had enough disposable income Id have a couple turd's kneecapped if they insulted my daughter on that level.
Really? You would break bones over harsh language said over the internet? Are you a fucking 2 year old or something?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Really? You would break bones over harsh language said over the internet? Are you a fucking 2 year old or something?
I think your sarcasm detection falls a little short of the mark. But let's just assume I would... Anything you want to recant?

Oldbased

> Than U
Few remember a good punch to the face but broken bones is the gift that keeps on giving. Especially 40+ years of age when that arthritis sets in.
Also as a good amount here are now 40+ I am sure they will all agree with me that as we get older, our give a fuck meter preventing us from doing such to people becomes less and less. My father, now 71 who used to be a boxer tells me 50's is the deadly zone where a person likely doesn't give a fuck enough but yet is still in good enough shape to whoop someone down.

I look forward to snapping ankles and breaking arms in the next decade as social media reveals more and more assholes to the world and who they actually are.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Yeah I was gonna say... "Real life". Really?? Shill'ing has never lived in the real world. In the real world you go to jail and you don't pass Go and collect 1 million dollars from espn and get a massive tax return for your failed business when you've committed fraud.
How exactly did Curt's company commit fraud?

A few years back before 38 Studios moved to Rhode Island I saw a study that ranked each state using several factors to determine which ones were the most economically attractive for companies to operate there. Rhode Island was ranked dead last among all 50 states. I assume the RI state government realized this which prompted the Republican governor and a Democrat legislature to make a $50 million bond deal with 38 Studios that offered them major incentives, tax credits, etc if they would relocate to RI. This was a bipartisan effort with only one dissenting vote in the RI legislature.

After all this occurred and 38 Studios relocated to RI, Lincoln Chafee was elected governor. It is well documented that even before he was elected Chafee had major personal beef against Schilling. Even though his predecessor as governor, the Democrat led state legislature as well as the state's Economic Development Corporation all approved of the 38 Studios deal, Chafee was against it from the start. When 38 Studios began to go over budget and ran out of money, Chafee refused to continue funding them.

There is a very detailed article /oped on the entire history of the deal from the NY Times. The writer places pretty much all of the blame on the RI state government for trying to play the role of venture capitalist in their attempt to stimulate economic growth.

PS A few years later Rhode Island still ranks dead last in the business climate rankings.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think your sarcasm detection falls a little short of the mark. But let's just assume I would... Anything you want to recant?
Nothing to recant. Youre a fucking moron and should be put down if some random troll you will never meet makes you wanna do physical harm to people.
How exactly did Curt's company commit fraud?

A few years back before 38 Studios moved to Rhode Island I saw a study that ranked each state using several factors to determine which ones were the most economically attractive for companies to operate there. Rhode Island was ranked dead last among all 50 states. I assume the RI state government realized this which prompted the Republican governor and a Democrat legislature to make a $50 million bond deal with 38 Studios that offered them major incentives, tax credits, etc if they would relocate to RI. This was a bipartisan effort with only one dissenting vote in the RI legislature.

After all this occurred and 38 Studios relocated to RI, Lincoln Chafee was elected governor. It is well documented that even before he was elected Chafee had major personal beef against Schilling. Even though his predecessor as governor, the Democrat led state legislature as well as the state's Economic Development Corporation all approved of the 38 Studios deal, Chafee was against it from the start. When 38 Studios began to go over budget and ran out of money, Chafee refused to continue funding them.

There is a very detailed article /oped on the entire history of the deal from the NY Times. The writer places pretty much all of the blame on the RI state government for trying to play the role of venture capitalist in their attempt to stimulate economic growth.

PS A few years later Rhode Island still ranks dead last in the business climate rankings.
Fraud in the sense that Curt knew damn well his shitty game wasnt going to launch for years and he knew considerably more cash was gonna be needed than what was ever given. He probably thought that once he had them on the hook they would keep giving him money. Either way the guy is a fucking moron and its well documented he fucked up peoples lives when 38 studios went down in flames.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nothing to recant. Youre a fucking moron and should be put down if some random troll you will never meet makes you wanna do physical harm to people.
"Put down" as in euthanized!? You are a hypocrite and a thin skinned pussy for wishing death on me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Curt insults all of humanity Tweeting that evolution isn't real, yet we're supposed to get mad over some kids trolling about his daughter?

Fuck everyone involved in that story. Who gives a shit...

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

Fraud in the sense that Curt knew damn well his shitty game wasnt going to launch for years and he knew considerably more cash was gonna be needed than what was ever given. He probably thought that once he had them on the hook they would keep giving him money. Either way the guy is a fucking moron and its well documented he fucked up peoples lives when 38 studios went down in flames.
Here is the NY Times article I cited.

The few ex-38 Studios employees I have heard comment on the bankruptcy have all had positive comments about Curt and that he was a great boss to work for. The only people I have heard refer to him as a moron are atheists, leftwingers, and Yankee fans. You would think spending millions of dollars out of your own pocket to take care of your employees and help make the game succeed would be considered in a positive light by the gaming community.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Here is the NY Times article I cited.

The few ex-38 Studios employees I have heard comment on the bankruptcy have all had positive comments about Curt and that he was a great boss to work for. The only people I have heard refer to him as a moron are atheists, leftwingers, and Yankee fans. You would think spending millions of dollars out of your own pocket to take care of your employees and help make the game succeed would be considered in a positive light by the gaming community.
Really though, if you don't believe in evolution, and you are most famous for bleeding while throwing a ball around and then wasting your 50 million dollar sports career earnings on trying to beat Blizzard at the MMO game, you are a moron.

I mean that's not even arguable.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Great bosses to work for are those that keep a company running so you still can actually work.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
wasting your 50 million dollar sports career earnings on trying to beat Blizzard at the MMO game, you are a moron.

I mean that's not even arguable.
Just want to comment on this briefly - as we all know Schilling used to visit the foh forums where, after he announced the project, he was told repeatedly to stay focused and have a narrow scope. He ignored all of the various naysayers with comments like: we're making a AAA title, go big or go home, etc; he clearly thought he was going to beat Blizz at their own game (literally and figuratively) by tossing as much money as possible at the project. There is no doubt in my mind (or most people's mind) that 38 Studios had the funding to make and finish a quality MMO; so money must have blown bigtime on lots of useless shit (like when 38 Studios bought that other game company) somewhere along the way and all fingers point to Schilling.

And least we forget, all of this development occurred post Vanguard - which was the posterchild for the maximLimit scope or your project won't be ready to ship when you desperately need it to ship or else you go bankrupt.

So yeah, a bit of a moron.