3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone do laser engraving/cutting? Is there a place for that in the forum?

I'm really thinking about ordering a glowforge basic next week and wanted to make sure it's worth the money before ordering. I haven't had much luck finding active laser engraving forums.

Main interest is printing survey maps on wood & metal.

Edit: Nevermind

Screenshot_20200101-080338_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damn that is one pricey piece of equipment. Looks nice though. Can't be of much help there since I haven't gotten into laser cutting/engraving yet. Been looking to but I have zero room for any new equipment until I move later this year :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Does anyone do laser engraving/cutting? Is there a place for that in the forum?

I'm really thinking about ordering a glowforge basic next week and wanted to make sure it's worth the money before ordering. I haven't had much luck finding active laser engraving forums.

Main interest is printing survey maps on wood & metal.

Edit: Nevermind

View attachment 240525

You shouldn't have showev me that. Now I need one.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is anyone aware of a good android app for making vector files? Something like autocad/sketchup for mobile?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been taking my prints in to work to show co-workers but I won't be taking this one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
First off, does anyone here mind if I put laser cutting/engraving stuff in here as well, or should I make a separate thread?

I just noticed that I have a referral code that'll give other people $500 off a pro / $250 off a plus / $100 off a basic model, and I get the same amount in materials if anyone uses my referral link: Bring your ideas to life. Referral Code: ZNWEWFHS

We were jotting down some ideas at home this weekend and I found some really cool examples of a "living hinge" that you can cut into wood & acrylic.
1578334861757.png
1578334893285.png

I found this cool website for creating DXF/SVG files for cutting out your own boxes with certain dimensions, so I'm going to use this as my first test when the glowforge arrives. I think that the maps are going to be tough to get working like I want them to work, so I'm going to try to get my feet under me by making some random knick knacks that I can just give to friends.
1578335009232.png

Mrs. Bandwagon is excited about making some jewelry with her coworker, so I ordered some bamboo & crushed turquoise for inlays and (tried) to get them started on Sketchup or Illustrator. I think the stack of graph paper I gave them will see more use.
Image result for laser cut jewelry turquoise inlay
Image result for laser cut jewelry inlay
Image result for laser cut jewelry inlay

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ohhhhh, Witcher 3 laser engraved map:
1578337409179.png

1578337415767.png

1578337421579.png

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
You have one of these glowforge things? How hard is it to make stuff like that? It looks beautiful.

I watched the video, that shit ain't simple.

Last edited:

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I’d say post it here. Not that active and it’s definitely on topic for 3D printing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
How much 3d printer goop does that cost, would you say?

At least 2 rolls, more like 3 with me making some mistakes. Around $40 worth of plastic, $10 worth of bondo, $10 worth of sandpaper, $20 worth of paint.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You have one of these glowforge things? How hard is it to make stuff like that? It looks beautiful.

I watched the video, that shit ain't simple.
I just ordered one last week, it doesn't get here until the end of the month.

I already make 2D & 3D digital maps and I started 3D printing them about 3 years ago, but I don't like the aesthetics of the maps I can do in-house and sending them out for full color 3D prints is expensive. I haven't made my own topo map like this on a laser cutter, but I think i'll be able to figure it out fairly quick. There's an artist in town that makes huge 3D topo maps by hand and he asked me for help last year on one of his projects. I made a 25 page PDF booklet for him to put on a projector so he could see his contour lines at the appropriate interval & scaling for the size of map he was making and the thickness of the wood. He said it worked really well, and I believe it will be the same process for making files for the laser cutter. I think that the hardest part is going to be aligning the raster & vector files in the software since it's all browser based and the two formats will end up having different origins.

One thing I want to try is generating holes at the centroid of top-most closed contour line at each stack and cutting that out of every layer below it so that I can use wooden dowels to align the different elevations. It looks like everyone else is just engraving the contour lines and using that to align the next layer up. Looks tedious.

Here's a couple of my older maps/models I'll try once I get going:
1578346932604.png

1578346968471.png