3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Downloaded and will try Cura for slicing. I like that with a plugin it supposedly can handle native Autodesk file formats.

rush02112

Ok I am looking at the settings between Cura and Prusa ed Slic3r and I want them to be as close as the same as possible and looking at the start and end g-code section, should I copy and past the g-code from Slic3r and paste it straight into Cura?

Slic3r
2-13-2019 2-08-17 PM.png

Cura
2-13-2019 2-07-34 PM.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I believe that'll work, I haven't tried it personally so I might not be of much help when it comes to the MK3 and Cura, I used it with my ender 3 but not a lot of common ground between the two.

rush02112

So far I really like that I can save a project with all settings in tact from Cura. We have 3 in this office, two engineers and I the draftsman so being able to pull up a project and not have to guess on if the settings were changed or not is a huge plus. So far I like how the UI is way more than Slic3r PE. The only thing I found so far I do not like is when using Slic3r, the LCD would show time remaining on the print while with Cura it only shows current build time on the LCD. Not sure if there is a setting somewhere to change that but not a deal breaker for me at this time.

As far as the g-code stuff, at the very least I need to add an end line that sets the extruder to be at a higher height, right now it's home position is incredibly close to the bed and is making it hard to get the bed out without hitting the nozzle.

rush02112

So we were having some issues with the 1st layer yesterday and decided to re-do our calibrations. All of a sudden the Z axis was no longer passing. The Z carriage would start at 0, go all the way up to 210 then come back down and fail. The nozzle would be at 0 but the lcd was reporting 5. Long story short, my co worker accidentally flashed the firmware for the MK3S but we had the MK3. Re-flashed the firmware and we're back in business. Took a whole 1 1/2 days to figure it out with live chat support, man they are so slow.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got my palette 2 delivered, it's not without its issues but it works so I can't complain. The only thing i'll need to pick up on is how to split models using Meshmixer because I have no experience with it and so far it's been frustrating as hell even with youtube tutorials.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been thinking about getting into 3D printing for a while, I’ve always liked the tech and it’s finally pretty cheap now. I’ve been eyeing and Ender 3 Pro due to how cheap and decent it is.

I’m kind of waiting for this IVI 3D to go live, anyone seen these yet? They have interchangeable heads where you can do SLA, routing bits, laser etching. I guess people went nuts for it at a demo. It’s going to retail at $799 but they have a kickstarter coming up where it will be $299.

If anyone’s interested, sign up with my link please...you get free shit the more people you get to sign up for the KS notification. I’ll probably make my decision based on the discussion during the KS if I’m going with that or an Ender.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just picked up a Anycubic Photon on sale on Amazon for around $320.... Here's the first print off it, without supports and primed for painting..

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up an Ender-3 from woot for $160. Been putting off buying one since I have a lot of hobbies already, although a printer will just add to my table top stuff like terrain.

Anyway, got it going tonight and printed a printer upgrade piece. This is so fucking cool. 3d printing is one of those things I’ve followed from the beginning and always thought it was interesting but never thought they’d ever be affordable and that I’d own one some day.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So my company has some mechanical engineers/designers with a dearth of work this year due to a large project getting pushed back. They all have 3d modeling experience, and I’ve been wracking my brain to find ways to keep them busy.

Does anyone have any idea if just the modeling/design (not fab) portion of this type of thing could be marketed? Or is that a non-starter due to it being easy enough most anyone can do it?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So my company has some mechanical engineers/designers with a dearth of work this year due to a large project getting pushed back. They all have 3d modeling experience, and I’ve been wracking my brain to find ways to keep them busy.

Does anyone have any idea if just the modeling/design (not fab) portion of this type of thing could be marketed? Or is that a non-starter due to it being easy enough most anyone can do it?
Put them to work designing perpetual fidget spinners

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Get involved with one of those 3d prosthetic arms for kids organizations. I personally think that is one of the coolest fucking things that have come forth from the accessibility of 3d printing. Mark it as a Charitable Donation for the company and the brass should love it.

• 1Solidarity

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Likewise a lot of pet shelters are looking for people who can print prosthetic limbs for pets who are looking for adoption or need them. The design work could probably net some tax breaks as well.

Working on a mask project for Defcon 27 at the moment idea came from the Hack for Satan group and their art style for this years badge. Will probably be bringing it to the Homebrew hardware contest for some shits and giggles. I'm only part way through and i'm reprinting the shell so I can weld it again w/o the exterior ones.

(Sound is enabled for both)

Fire and doom:

Sound Reactive:

• 4Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The free version of sketchup desktop was discontinued, but it was my favorite and pretty easy to learn for a newbie.

I think you can still get it if you search for something like "sketchup free 2017".

And here's your first print! - Fish Fossilz by muzz64

So I’ve been playing with my Ender 3 for a couple weeks now and it’s pretty fun. My first print was fish fossilz just cause I liked the idea of a single piece articulating. I made a ton of printer upgrades before moving back into toys and gaming components. The best is a color changing flexi-rex. Kids like it, coworkers are requesting stuff now, fun to fidget with at work.

440B8869-0B6E-4EBB-8921-1C5E0ED4221E.jpeg336CABA5-805C-41BC-9B8E-98E3307BDD83.jpegE23D9CEE-B7A9-44CF-987E-139F435476AE.jpeg
BE1245B3-386B-40B6-8E71-723F258E8F20.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Im a CAD engineer/designer. Have been doing so for tha pst 27 yrs or so, im not sure I understand your question.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Is the design portion of 3d printing a marketable service on its own

Well I mean sure. Lets say you need a pretty complex doo-dad to fix a broken one or come up with a solution to a problem (something not working properly). So while some people could struggle through some CAD program for a while and come up with a working 3D design, but most probably could not. And this is where a good CAD designer could step in and do this quick. The 3D printer would be used as a prototype tool to check if design is good or it needed further fixes, etc...

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
The summoning ritual is complete:

Homebrew entry complete, and my halloween costume done with fucktons of time to spare :p

• 4Like