40 Superhero Movies in the Next 6 Years/Superhero Movie Bubble?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I grew up with the Onslaught saga and then Operation Zero tolerance. After Heroes Reborn I only casually kept up with the books until Civil War stuff came out.

I doubt it was the quality of the books being the issue, but I just wasn't hooked again until everything was forced to be connected. With Netflix, TV and movies being connected the potential to drop massive comic numbers, while a priority for business, isn't required to keep their doors open. I really hope this opens up great story telling instead of people working to eat, etc.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reposted from the Fantastic Four Thread:

Is it possible that the general populace is getting superhero burnout? Personally, I'm good with all of the 70+ projects on the way.

The lack of audience support for Mr. Trank's movie will no doubt fuel emerging concerns about superhero burnout. Doug Cruetz, an analyst for Cowen and Company, last month pointed to possible but "inconclusive" signs of fatigue in a report, calling it "a trend worth monitoring" because of "aggressive investor expectations." Notably, "Avengers: Age of Ultron," while still collecting $1.4 billion worldwide, had domestic ticket sales that fell 27 percent below the total for the first "Avengers."

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are so many reasons for the performance of Age of Ultron and F4 that have nothing to do with Superhero burnout.

Sterling

El Presidente
Wait. When did Age of Ultron do poorly?
Poorly might be strong. Below expectations might be a better way to put it. It certainly made a shitload of money, just not record breaking type numbers like the first one. It finished over 30 percent lower on domestic gross.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
To be fair, every single new movie that comes out in a series can't break records, otherwise once you hit the Avengers 4/5/6 they'd be looking at making 10billion domestic or it flopped cuz records.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked Age of Ultron more. Avengers was the first 'ermagerd all the heroes at once' movie, so it was big, new, and larger than life, which Age of Ultron had no real chance of recreating despite the much better action scenes. Personally I think Avengers is overrated, although still a fantastic movie.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Is the 30% the SJWs who didn't go see it because Joss is a 'pig' and Black Widow is a 'monster?'
I also liked A2 better than A1. Better flesh out of characters and really good action.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Poorly might be strong. Below expectations might be a better way to put it. It certainly made a shitload of money, just not record breaking type numbers like the first one. It finished over 30 percent lower on domestic gross.
Your telling me, the movie that is #6 in the world with over 1.4B done, is "below expectations?" I mean, it only has 5 movies to beat ever. No fucking way. Who the fuck cares about domestic anyways, you know NA isn't the only market? Worldwide is >

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's like.. what studio exec wants their movie to have even more global appeal on a sequel? They'd have to be crazy to want that. Also it's not like Mad Max and Pitch Perfect 2 coming out two weeks later could even compare to the theatrical competition that Battleship and The Dictator put up against the original.

spronk

FPS noob
Your telling me, the movie that is #6 in the world with over 1.4B done, is "below expectations?" I mean, it only has 5 movies to beat ever. No fucking way. Who the fuck cares about domestic anyways, you know NA isn't the only market? Worldwide is >
the money people care. domestic grosses end up paying hollywood around 80c on the dollar, most foreign ones end up closer to 25 to 30c on the dollar - $100m box office in china turns into $25m for the studio.

Also the multiplier effect is huge for domestic, for every $1 in domestic box office hollywood usually makes $1.25 in bluray/rentals/streaming/etc, its virtually zero in asia and under 75c in europe.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Now we'll probably get some of those characters introduced on CW shows I bet.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, critics are pointing to the BvS fiasco as proof of the impending bubble. But what about Deadpool?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So, critics are pointing to the BvS fiasco as proof of the impending bubble. But what about Deadpool?
People have articles, blog posts, and tweets to to run through the mill. It'll all be forgotten by this summer.