47 Ronin

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
On the up side, there are not that many fantasy film set in medieval japan (you have a number of ghost stories, but it's more horror films than action movies).
I was actually just thinking about that. Outside of anime I can't think of even one high-fantasy type movie set in Asia, much less Japan specifically?

Szlia

There is a number of fantasy movies set in china made in Hong-Kong, of the action, comedy and even romance type (or a mix of the above). Zu, Green Snake... but Japan? There is a somewhat recent movie based on Dororo (adaptation from a classic manga with a swordsman fighting demons - also a good PS2 game called Blood Will Tell), I suspect there are Momotaro movies (a classic fairy tale involving monsters), probably some stuff based on Shigeru Mizuki (manga artist the used a lot of creature from the japanese folklore called yokai) like Gegege no Kitaro and, like I said, piles of ghost stories (Masaki Kobayashi's Kaidan being the most famous, but you can include things like Mizoguchi's Ugetsu)... but yeah, the movie equivalent of Ninja Scroll? Never seen that... well... there are these erotic ninja movies with girls shooting breast milk at enemies but... yeah... not exactly the same!

I'll get back to you on that because I have around here an encyclopedia of japanese Fantasy / Horror / SF movies...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
does anyone look at the cgi and think... syfi channel quality? the cgi looks bad, also from what i gather from the trailer, it sounds like this is more a "7 samurai" (the 1950's japanese movie with the 1hour intermission, ha), remake... to gather 7 samurai and defend a town... only they couldn't' get the rights to 7 samurai and wanted 40 more samurai in the movie, just because. I don't know what's worse keanu movies that insult the material or adam sandler movies that insult the audience.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not a Keanu fan, but I eat up anything that is samurai/ninja... Anyone else going to see this?

Goatface

going to go see thursday. after reading all the negative press would probably skip it, but friend wants to see it.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
does anyone look at the cgi and think... syfi channel quality? the cgi looks bad, also from what i gather from the trailer, it sounds like this is more a "7 samurai" (the 1950's japanese movie with the 1hour intermission, ha), remake... to gather 7 samurai and defend a town... only they couldn't' get the rights to 7 samurai and wanted 40 more samurai in the movie, just because. I don't know what's worse keanu movies that insult the material or adam sandler movies that insult the audience.
this is actually based on a true story (the actual event, not this abortion of a movie), and i think they really dropped the ball on this one, as it could have been awesome if they just based it off the actual story. i would actually love to see ONE samurai movie that wasn't over-saturated with over the top special effects and ridiculous twenty minute sword fights. basically, give me "the last samurai" without tom cruise, or any other non asian person in it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, this movie is getting roasted. I'm definitely passing.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Trailer looks like too much cg, more cg weird stuff, and cliches. No more goddamn eastern themed movies and chosen ones.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
this is actually based on a true story (the actual event, not this abortion of a movie), and i think they really dropped the ball on this one, as it could have been awesome if they just based it off the actual story. i would actually love to see ONE samurai movie that wasn't over-saturated with over the top special effects and ridiculous twenty minute sword fights. basically, give me "the last samurai" without tom cruise, or any other non asian person in it.
You might like Twilight Samurai.

Goatface

as anyone here seen it yet? critics seem to hate it, but most of the "normal" people reviews are saying it is pretty good 6-7/10 range.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
as anyone here seen it yet? critics seem to hate it, but most of the "normal" people reviews are saying it is pretty good 6-7/10 range.
Friend and his wife just got back from seeing it. Swore up and down it was pretty god-damned awesome.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I actually enjoyed Man of Tai Chi. That fucker is a badass.

And actually, the story wasn't bad. It was a little forced in certain places just to further the story, but it was good none the less.

Nazlug

Trakanon Raider
Just saw this tonight, I thought it was pretty good also. No clue if it was even remotely close to the "historically accurate" version , but seeing how there was magic in it... Anyway, enjoyed it for what it was, a good popcorn flick on a cold night. Thumbs up!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
If they would have left Keanu out of the movie it would have been great. Dude had no purpose in the movie at all.