A Song of Ice and Fire - Book Spoilers Within

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of funny to see this thread get bumped as I had almost completely forgot these were even books.

I started reading them after the first season of the show had aired, which is right when ADwD released. That was seven fucking years ago now.

Whole thing is a joke at this point.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait, so he cranked out a 989 page "History of the Targaryens" book?

Yeah, he's never fucking finishing the series. No chance.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yes. The question is no longer "is the book coming year XXXX", it's now "is the book coming before or after his death?"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Wait, so he cranked out a 989 page "History of the Targaryens" book?

Yeah, he's never fucking finishing the series. No chance.

Apparently he did this back in 2012. It's the 'first half' of the actual history. Lot's of luck ever seeing the second half. Lol.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
HAHAHAHA delayed again. Dude is seriously trolling now. I've said it before. FUCK the books. They don't matter anymore unfortunately. Show is all there is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
HAHAHAHA delayed again. Dude is seriously trolling now. I've said it before. FUCK the books. They don't matter anymore unfortunately. Show is all there is.

Agree. I read the first four. Never picking it up again whether he finishes it or not. Fuck him.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It seems like he releases something every year except for the next book. He'll release a coloring book next year instead of Winds of Winter.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Fucking shame, the books are so much better than show but I've long given up on ever seeing another word on paper. A Targ history book.... fucking lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
he probably just paid some computer science researcher to make an AI to write it for him

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
he probably just paid some computer science researcher to make an AI to write it for him

The whole ASOFAi is basically an adapted mismatch of British history 11th century-18th century or so. I'm curious to see just how blatant it is with this Targaryan "history" book...

Most people can see the influence to some degree. But as someone who's studied Medieval Britain, and more so Early Modern Britain it's seemingly well beyond just "Oh yeah, it's influenced by the war of the roses". I was reading Pepys Diary of just early 1660 the other day for some work i'm doing. Twice It made me realize terms/names of things in Martin's books were clearly based on them. This might not seem exceptional, but this has happened hundreds of times since i first read the books in 03 or so. I can't think of any other work of fantasy that takes so thoroughly from the History of the British Isles. Actually i would not be surprised if Pepys diary was one of what might be called his "primary sources". He clearly was extremely well read in these areas, on the level you would expect from say a professor, or a masters student studying this area. Not simply an author doing research for his books.

So he's basically writing a fake history of a stuff from a book that is basically adapted, and mismatched real history..

I'd be more interested in seeing what he does with the stuff pre William the Conqueror, erm Aegon the Conqueror i think he's called? I would be wiling to be it's more fantasy and maybe a bit all over the place as i don't think simply adapting the history of the Normans, or i guess some other Early middle Ages history of continental powers.. ect.. is seemingly not what he's doing based on what little i've read about that area of GoT lore.