A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

Chris

Potato del Grande
He is a side character who has had a lot of book time but has done very little other than move peices around, there has to be some kind of point to him. It's not going to be an epic shock twist if he tries to rape Sansa and she shoves him off a mountain.

Him marrying Sansa off to a guy who will soon be in charge of one of the two unspoiled kingdoms/armies and then dying is too convenient? I could post the same stuff back at you with that little happy ending, I think he will make some kind of play to get the throne for himself before someone kills him.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm just saying, at this point anyone other than Tyrion dying won't surprise me.
I could totally see Martin killing off Tyrion as a big 'fuck you' to all the whiners that cry about everything related to this series. The neckbeard rage would be delicious.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This may be controversial, but he isn't really killing off as many major characters as his reputation suggests. I take it back if heavily foreshadowed Jon Snow revival is wrong and he is actually dead for reals.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ned, Rob, Catelyn, Bobby B, Joffrey, Tywin, that's all I can think of right now but I have a fucker of a headache. I can't think of any other book where those characters would have all been killed off. And we're not even close to the end, he'll expand it to like 12 books or something before it is over.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Speaking of which, how many people really believe he can end it in two books? I don't think there is any way in hell. Heck, we will be lucky if all the people in Meereen are even able to get to the 7 kingdoms by the end of the next book. Do we really think he is going to jam all the WW shit into one book at the end?

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
He is a side character who has had a lot of book time but has done very little other than move peices around, there has to be some kind of point to him.
Maybe Sansa is his point. GRRM said he generally writes a character POV for the whole book then moves on to the next, so it isn't necessarily an early chapter and LF may have had time in it to do his thing.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This may be controversial, but he isn't really killing off as many major characters as his reputation suggests. I take it back if heavily foreshadowed Jon Snow revival is wrong and he is actually dead for reals.
I don't think there is any way he can kill off Jon because of his axiom about "the dragon must have 3 heads." If you believe certian rumors on the internet (and I do) then AFfC would have been odd since Ameon dies and that only leaves two heads. However, since ADwD is happening in parallel then at the same time Ameon dies we have Ageon coming out of hiding. If it is only Dany and Ageon then we are due a Targaryen popping up sometime very soon.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
He could finish it up in one book. The dominoes are nearly set up and making them fall won't be hard.
Would be very poor and so hastily written. What with us having 4 books of Daenarys being all built up and the White Walkers not even attacking the wall so far.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yeah, he could only finish it in one book if he drastically changed his pacing and dropped tons of side stories. Hell, it will stretch believability for Daenerys to even get to the Seven Kingdoms by the end of the next book, considering it took Tyrion an entire book to get there and he was by himself.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think that Mereen will end up being VERY fucked up by the battles to come and end up being unlivable. Between Victarion and red priests on Volantis ships, I think that there will be enough ships to head for westeros.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, he could only finish it in one book if he drastically changed his pacing and dropped tons of side stories. Hell, it will stretch believability for Daenerys to even get to the Seven Kingdoms by the end of the next book, considering it took Tyrion an entire book to get there and he was by himself.
And it took Dany a chapter to sail from Qarth to Astapor. And it took Lil Griff zero chapters to get from over there to Westeros.

It will take how long he thinks it should, you can't point to one trip that was more about what Tyrion was going through internally, introducing some other players, and his whole ordeal of being captured and figuring out a way out, and just extrapolate that to a totally different part of the story. Might as well say just because there was dramatic death at Edmure's wedding there will be dramatic deaths at Joffrey's wedding!

But yeah, there's zero reason he can't wrap up everything in the next TWO THOUSAND FUCKING PAGES. Why are you people talking like he's got one novella to work with? Or, alternatively, why do you seem to think he'll write some 400+ page LAST BATTLE, this isn't Wheel of Time. We rarely get detailed battle descriptions.

There's just some massively retarded reasoning going on here. "It took one character a long time to make a trip, so it WILL take another at least as long!" or "Oh he wrote a lot about Dany, therefor FUCKING DERP". Because you didn't even wrap up that fuckin' thought, Ashin.

Jesus. By all means, spend all day thinking he won't finish ever or it won't be satisfying or whatever. But get the fuck off the idea that it's impossible to wrap up the story in two giant fucking books.

I think that Mereen will end up being VERY fucked up by the battles to come and end up being unlivable. Between Victarion and red priests on Volantis ships, I think that there will be enough ships to head for westeros.
Can't wait! Second read of AFFC really made me want more of those desert fuckers.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Dude, relax. There has only been one consistent theme to GRRM's predictions on when he was going to end the series, that of him constantly saying he only needs a few more books. When the book was a trilogy, he said he would finish it in two. Then he said it would need three more, for a total of six. Now he is saying it will take him seven. Color me skeptical.

I mean, sure, he could end it whenever he wants. "They all lived happily ever after, the End". However, look at all the storylines still open. All the time and pages he spent talking about the immense distance and difficult travel to get to Meereen. How he had so many character arcs and storylines that it took him two books to fit them all in. Just to finish the Battle of Meereen we have have Victarion, Barristan, Tyrion and Daenerys who will each probably have multiple chapters themselves, just to finish that, before any journey can even start to be talked about. Then multiple chapters of them preparing for the journey. Of course, this is ONLY ONE of the plot threads really.

But you say, how can I say "such and such will take multiple chapters". BECAUSE IT IS GRRM. He doesn't write things up tidily and ignore them. The reason I at this point almost hope for more than 2 books is I simply don't see how he can finish in two books without drastically changing his writing style from the previous books. Ill take it in 3 (or 4) or even a series that doesn't end, rather than a truncated ending where he just drops and ignores shitloads of foreshadowing and characters.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Aegon time jumped to get to Westeros, though. Or rather there was a time jump during the books, books 4 and 5 covered several years where the previous books were only several months each. That sea voyage is a long fucking time. In the meantime that Dany is traveling, shit will be going down all over Westeros. I don't know, given his pace so I do not see how he wraps up this story in 2,000 - 3,000 pages.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
She could be there in the latter half of the book, if the dance with dragons is to happen in TWOW she has to make it to Westeros. Her shit to do is wrap up the battle of Meereen and get moving, Vaes Dothrak, the Pentos storyline and maybe capture some cities along the way.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You mean from the upcoming book? I know he has released chapters but I try to stay away from that stuff. It is just a cocktease without the rest of the book.