A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Wild Cards and Game of Thrones certainly isn't 1:1 identical, but thinking on it now there is a lot of similar concepts.

Wild Cards brought a new level of realism to the "superhero" genre, by adding in a realistic world, serious consequences for actions, ugly violence, rape and sex to the genre which is mostly in comics that for the most part disallowed the vast majority of that stuff at the time.

Just like Game of Thrones kind of takes fantasy and leaves the Tolkien-esque innocence of it behind by adding in these unpleasant real life themes, Wild Cards took supers and left the Stan Lee-esque (?) innocence of mainstream comics behind in the same way.

When I read Wild Cards in the... early 90's (*cough*old*cough*) it changes the way how I viewed the genre, much like Game of Thrones does for many fantasy fans. It kind of makes you take a second look and kind of re-evaluate things that come before and since. One of those times where something is read or heard and you said "Well damn, I never really thought about it like that before".

Also, it followed the same storytelling pattern more or less, where each chapter would generally be from one character's point of view and so occasionally you would have two big moments that happen multiple times in the book, due to multiple characters telling their perspective of the event.

But no, he didn't write every chapter, he just edited them all to make sense and I guess wrote the main plot, having other writers do the individual chapters. Which is kind of cool as the writer could make a character, and consistently give that character voice throughout the series and such. This also explains how he could manage to get out a book every year or two instead of his current glacial pace.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
No updates to this thread in over a month?! Time for another edition ofAdam12's Annual I Know I Shouldn't Read This Shit but I Fucking Will Anyway ASoIaF Reread!

Since everyone just posts in the TV thread(s) I'll write something after each chapter (until I get bored of doing that). FML, this is going to suck.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No updates to this thread in over a month?! Time for another edition ofAdam12's Annual I Know I Shouldn't Read This Shit but I Fucking Will Anyway ASoIaF Reread!

Since everyone just posts in the TV thread(s) I'll write something after each chapter (until I get bored of doing that). FML, this is going to suck.
Just make it each day you read. Roughly. Kind of curious to see what it looks like.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I might leave some shit out that way. I guess instead of after each chapter (which would be tedious), I can just write after major shit happens or something interesting pops up that I didn't catch the first time or forgot about.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah after every chapter would be a lot of work. I know I'm at least way too lazy for something like that.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I'll get to it soon, and am still considering doing it by chapter. I'll try a trial run with the first few and see how long this shit takes. I'm sure a ton of chapters will be something like "Fuck you, Sansa" or "<3 Sandor." In Vegas now so I should be out of money within a few days...hours...fuck.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Fuck off, I'm busy with mountains of cocaine and azn whores, and if you can't see the parallels between my writing style (regarding deadlines) and GRRM's, then I don't know what to tell you, bro.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The more this thread is bumped the more the odds increase that Astr0creep starts posting his retardedness in this thread. I fear for that day I really do.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I should have time to start reading tomorrow. I didn't come to Vegas planning to win money, but shit happens.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what the Iron Throne should look more like,according to George.

tRFobwj.jpg

I did not picture it quite so hulking, but this is closer to the sort of raw, sharp-edged vision I had of it in my head before the HBO show.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Why the hell did he write like two thousand words about that bullshit rather than spending that time on the next book? Fuck off George.